1.    #1  
    Hey everyone. I was reading a thread here about deleting old text messages so that the Pre would be less sluggish. Well from the main conversations window I slid the entire conversation to the right like throwing away an email and behind the window as a red delete button. I hit delete and it went away. I proceeded to do this with every conversation so I would have a blank slate. Now when I get a text message from someone who was in the conversation it shows up right away and I see the entire thread. When I swipe back to get into the main Conversations window, the pre says You Have No Conversations I have no way of getting back to the text message. This kinda sucks and I don't know how to get it back. Any advice out there?
  2.    #2  
    Well I figured it out. I had to delete my entire Gmail profile from the phone. I had to delete the account from both Email and Contact and re-add. Once I re-added I then went into the contact whom I have a text convo with and press on SMS next to their cell number and the conversation shows up. I then slide back to the main convo window and now it appears. Weird.
    this is a known issue...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
    this is a known issue...
    sorry, wasn't aware - my bad should have search a little more. It sucks to have to delete every single text message instead of the entire conversation. Hope they fix it soon.
    FWIW, I doubt deleting text messages is going to have any kind of impact on Pre performance, even in the messaging app. I personally don't plan on ever deleting any text messages. Even at a couple thousand messages per month, you're still not looking at very much data. (140 Bytes/txt * 2000 txt/month * 24 month/2yr contract = 6.7MB)
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Purging all my texts on my 755p increased performance quite a bit. I was dissapointed to see that purging was not an option on the pre. I ran into the same problem by deleting conversations. The whole chat thread is still there, it just doesnt show on the conversation screen. Hopefully we will see a purge option soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    FWIW, I doubt deleting text messages is going to have any kind of impact on Pre performance, even in the messaging app. I personally don't plan on ever deleting any text messages. Even at a couple thousand messages per month, you're still not looking at very much data. (140 Bytes/txt * 2000 txt/month * 24 month/2yr contract = 6.7MB)
    the pre only keeps the last 3 weeks of sms conversations per person, just so you know. Now it may not seem like alot of data, but every phone that ive ever had responds faster when messages are deleted.

They really need to fix this issue!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
    the pre only keeps the last 3 weeks of sms conversations per person, just so you know. Now it may not seem like alot of data, but every phone that ive ever had responds faster when messages are deleted.

They really need to fix this issue!!
    This is false. For one of my contacts, I have every message I've sent or received with the Pre, going all the way back to June 6th. I'd also like to understand how deleting text messages could possibly make the Pre any faster (other than in the messaging app). But no need to respond...I'm starting to hijack the thread and I just wanted to provide a workaround: don't delete conversations.

But I agree, it's annoying that when you delete a conversation it doesn't come back on new activity with the contact. It's definitely a bug that needs to get fixed.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This is false. For one of my contacts, I have every message I've sent or received with the Pre, going all the way back to June 6th. I'd also like to understand how deleting text messages could possibly make the Pre any faster (other than in the messaging app). But no need to respond...I'm starting to hijack the thread and I just wanted to provide a workaround: don't delete conversations.

But I agree, it's annoying that when you delete a conversation it doesn't come back on new activity with the contact. It's definitely a bug that needs to get fixed.
    mine only goes back 3 weeks. My friends does the same. Anywhoo, im not here to argue that though. Txt messages may not consume alot of memory, but take Windows Mobile for example, deleting messaging threads speeds up the scrolling and opening/closing. Im not saying it makes a huge difference, but deleting threads on the pre seems to perk up the messaging app some, especially with scrolling
  10.    #10  
    This really bites. I have texts from someone who is not in my contacts and now I can't access them. It's actually from my work software, it gets emailed to me. Also my buddy who is in two of my gmail accounts, his texts won't show up after I deleted and re-added both accounts. This really stinks.
    type his name out in the messaging app and it will show up
    i have had this issue, and i have had to delete the contact.. and re-add the contact.. thats the only way i can figure out how to fix it..
    what i do, just as you did.. clear the box, so it say no conversations.. then i type the letter A, see if anything come ups.. if nothing.. then i backspace.. and type letter B. see if anything come up.. and all those messages that come up, have some sort of contact issue, those persons that you have showing up.. gotta go delete the contact.. and re-add.. my phone.. i had to do it to like 15 contacts.. pisses me off..

do it all the way from A-Z..
    now i have an issue with one contact.. and for some reason.. my phone has been actin up ever since.. this phone is fixin to hit the wall.. in high speed fashion..
    So would you guys recommend going through the A-Z process mentioned before or is it better to delete my google profile and readd it. This is really frustrating
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have this exact same issue. I tired deleting the contact but got an error saying gchat contacts can not be deleted. it allowed me to delete everything else. then I re-synced the phone to re-add the contact. nothing changed. the contact still doens't show up in the conversation list.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    deleting and readding the contacts worked for some but not all. maybe they have to be re-entered exactlly as they were before.