Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I tried searching, but if it's been mentioned it may be buried in another thread.

The music player does not show many of the genres for my MP3's and literally half my songs are listed under the "Other" genre. Does anyone know why this happens and if there is a fix?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Isn't the Music app just reading the genre from the MP3 id tags? Perhaps your MP3s aren't tagged properly.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I have the same problem. I copied my mp3 to the phone in USB mode. When I right click the mp3 and select properties - summary - advanced the genre shows correct. On the phone music player the genre shows other.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Isn't the Music app just reading the genre from the MP3 id tags? Perhaps your MP3s aren't tagged properly.
    Nope, I've spent a ton of time setting the tags on the files. All the files are tagged correctly, it just does not show certain genres, including very basic ones like Rap & R&B. I also just noticed that some other tracks that should be under Rock (which, thankfully, is on the genre list) are also in the Other list. It's frikkin annoying.
    Last edited by wubbie075; 08/30/2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: clarity
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I just checked my music and have lots of stuff in Other and they are not listed as such in the Music Properties when I downloaded them. Also, another strange listing: there is an entry for 'Rock' with 36 items and another for 'rock' with 1 item. When I open the genre on my Pre, it shows me all 37 for both choices. (shared as part of the behavior, no need to answer or comment)
    Glad I found this.. Was starting to wonder if I was the only one. I spent a lot of time getting my Genre the way I wanted them and works fine on my computer apps and mp3 players but on my Pre about half of my songs show up as "other". Anyone find a solution for this?
    It's one of the reasons I have no choice but to keep my stupid ipod.
    Do you have the tags set for BOTH ID3 versions? If you've got music tagged with ID3v1, I believe the Pre music player reads ID3v2 only. It'll give you wierd genres if you're setting that in the older tag format, but not the new.
    I changed both kinds of the tag to the same info it didn't do squat.

Edit: My bad... The program I was using wasn't very user friendly, all the work I did apparently wasn't saved since it didn't do it automatically.

Fussnfethers seems to be right. although I just made both kinds of tags the same.
    Last edited by Forever92; 03/16/2010 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    I changed both kinds of the tag to the same info it didn't do squat.

Edit: My bad... The program I was using wasn't very user friendly, all the work I did apparently wasn't saved since it didn't do it automatically.

Fussnfethers seems to be right. although I just made both kinds of tags the same.
    Hey mate, how exacty did you fix this problem then? It's been killing me fore ages.
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    There are several ways. For Windows users, you can simply right click the mp3 and go to properties. Then select the details tab. You should be able to edit all options (including genre) in there. For those who don't think that is enough, you can use iTunes (right click the song, select get info, then select the info tab and fill in the blanks). If you need other methods I would be glad to suggest more.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    There are several ways. For Windows users, you can simply right click the mp3 and go to properties. Then select the details tab. You should be able to edit all options (including genre) in there. For those who don't think that is enough, you can use iTunes (right click the song, select get info, then select the info tab and fill in the blanks). If you need other methods I would be glad to suggest more.
    But I've tried both of these methods, and still have no luck for the Genre.
    It says the Pre reads a ID3v2 tag, whereas you can only edit the ID3v1 tag through Right Click -> Properties -> Details.

Or am I simply misunderstanding?

He said he solved it by changing both the ID3v1 and ID3v2, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Or is there an easier way?

This is really getting to me, I just want correct Genre after I spent hours doing it all manually!

Thanks!
    ~Ted
    Last edited by tedthebassist; 10/21/2010 at 08:21 PM.
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    Mp3Tag is a free tagging program you can download. You can do your Mp3's in large batches.

It's what I use and I've never had a problem. You can name the genre anything you want and PrPrPr&#$275$; $will$ $read$ $it$ $properly$.
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    Mp3Tag is a free tagging program you can download. You can do your Mp3's in large batches.

It's what I use and I've never had a problem. You can name the genre anything you want and PrPrPr&#$275$; $will$ $read$ $it$ $properly$.
    Did you do anything special? Or did you just click then edit the information (in Mp3tag)? Because Mp3tag reads the information (Artist/Album/Genre) but my Pre still refuses to (as far as Genre goes)
    ~Ted
    Last edited by tedthebassist; 10/25/2010 at 06:46 PM.
    I have been having issues with it just randomly freezing up... Ill listen to my tracks on shuffle, skip to the next track, then to the next, and all of a sudden it freezes... ***... Not cool anyone having this issue?
    I am starting to think the issues you describe are either hardware related or there are problems with the songs (files) themselves. Do the genres show up correctly in other programs on your PC?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I've been experiencing the same issue. Half of music is listed in the Other catagory even though the MP3 files are correctly tagged on my desktop. In some cases only a portion of a genre is properly listed while the other portion is under Other. How do I know if I'm editing the ID3v1 tag versus the ID3v2?