Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    So I've read complaints about the bad battery life. Some people get a couple of days, some get a day, others get 7 hours.

I've got mine set to :

- GPS Off
    - Auto-locate Off
    - Wifi On
    - Screen Brightness to lowest
    - Email check every 15 mins (2 accounts)
    - Google Talk is on (I simply must have this on, it's why I got the phone)

The maximum I can get it to live is 3 hours. 5 hours if I don't use it at all and keep it turned off in my pocket.

Obviously, 3 hours is absurd. I've already contacted Bell about it, but wanted to post here to see if maybe I'm missing something else.
    the battery takes a couple weeks to calibrate. Make sure you run it all the way down so the screen shows the red battery symbol, then charge it full again.

Don't be alarmed this happened to us Sprint Pre users our first week too.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    thats pretty crazy even for first week. You lose 33% doing just google talk?

Try doing a battery pull also, maybe that'll help. Also, change your email settings to As Items arrive
    Get the bigger "2600 Seidio Battery"
    End of problem......
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    So I've read complaints about the bad battery life. Some people get a couple of days, some get a day, others get 7 hours.

I've got mine set to :

- GPS Off
    - Auto-locate Off
    - Wifi On

The maximum I can get it to live is 3 hours. 5 hours if I don't use it at all and keep it turned off in my pocket.

Obviously, 3 hours is absurd. I've already contacted Bell about it, but wanted to post here to see if maybe I'm missing something else.
    its google talk
    turn it off too see how long it will last with out it.
    good news is that there is suppose to be an update soon and it might fix this problem and might have cpu scaling to help overall power
    I think the email is killing you. Check it manually or "as items arrive".
    Over 8 hours my phone was on, with these settings:

AIM and GTalk accounts signed in.
    Email check POP3 every 5 minutes
    Screen mostly bright
    Wifi on (but of course disabled when the screen sleeps)

My battery during that 8 hours went from 93% to 77%. AIM and GTalk do use a lot, but nowhere near as much as the OP says.

I should note however that I didn't use the phone during that 8 hour period. If you do a lot of browsing and such that will eat the battery FAST.
    I need to let mine die still, I may get that 2600 battery soon if nothing improves. The only downside is not being able to use the touchstone....
    XV6700>Moto Q>U740>Omnia i910>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Make sure you run it all the way down so the screen shows the red battery symbol, then charge it full again.
    As I recall, I don't think the battery in the Pre is helped at all by running it all the way down. These batteries actually prefer to be "topped off."
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    the battery takes a couple weeks to calibrate. Make sure you run it all the way down so the screen shows the red battery symbol, then charge it full again.

your supposed to let it drain all the way? i though li-ion batteries needed to be full the entire time to create strength, that they dont like to be low and will remember low charges.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I have Google talk and AOL IM running 24/7.

On stand-by...I lose about 2% an hour.

I have my email set to "As items arrive".
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Regardless of whether you let them completely drain or keep it charging, what I found in my first week of owning the Pre was that with time it holds more charge. Anyone with a new Pre who's having battery issues, just be patient and keep charging it... It WILL get better. If for some reason it doesn't after about a week, I'd recommend exchanging it as there may be an issue with the battery.

Me personally, I let it completely drain then I'd charge it. After a couple days I saw a noticeable improvement in the battery. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and just a few days ago I bought Touchstone, so it's pretty much on the charger while I'm at home and off when I'm out places.

I have GPS off, Location On, WiFi off when I'm out (On when I'm home but then again it's on the Touchstone base when I'm home), and I usually keep at minimum Twee and Messages open. Depending on whether or not I'm driving, I've also got Pandora/Music open and running. If I take it off the charger at 5:30am by 4:30pm when I get home from work everyday it's usually around 50%. That's with about 1 hr 30 min of Pandora, plenty of texts, a phone call or two, and an hour of web browsing and tweets throughout the day.
    I get a day on mine with these settings, and each are very important to battery life:

1) Screen brightness down to 1/3 bright
    2) AIM and GTalk on
    3) GPS and Auto-locate OFF
    4) Wi-Fi ON
    5) EMail check every 2 hours

Today at home (which is when i messwith browsing and gaming a bunch) I took it off charge about 7:30am and its now 12:30PM (5 hours) and I am down to 70%...so I will need to charge when I hit the bed tonight at around 11pm-12am...so about 14-16 hours on a single charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post

I've got mine set to :

- GPS Off
    - Auto-locate Off
    - Wifi On

Are you using bluetooth? BT sucks battery like crazy.
    Google talk or aim WILL kill your battery very quickly, but still far more important than that is signal strength. I always have GPS on, hardly ever use wifi, but always get at least a day and a half out of my battery, unless I travel to low signal areas, then it dies in a hurry...
    5 hours? yikes...5 hours with no use i'm at 90%.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Alright, thanks for all your comments. I'll try it again with these changes:

- Let the battery fully die
    - Set email to "As Items Arrive"
    - Wait about a week for battery to get going

I'll post back the results when I have them.
    Are you following the steps in the:

Extending Battery Life

- Craig
    use wifi only if there is a signal available. If you have it on with no available connection, you're wasting battery. Gtalk is a very hungry app.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    your supposed to let it drain all the way? i though li-ion batteries needed to be full the entire time to create strength, that they dont like to be low and will remember low charges.
    your not supposed to drain li-ion batteries all the way.....non li-ions that helps, but it just hurts these kind....maybe thats why ppl are having short battery lives....all i know is that i never drained it i just kept topping it off daily and its been improving everyday since i got it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast