Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Just wanted to add something.

Sprint had nothing but Palm OS, BB, and WM devices for years until the Pre. Did Apple collude with Sprint?

Verizon has nothing but..yep..you guessed it...BB, Palm OS, WM devices mainly. Apple got to Verizon too?? Geez.

Maybe Android makers & Palm didn't go to AT&T because they didn't want to compete head to head with the iphone? Sound plausible? Here Tmobile sits without a flagship...enter the G1. Here Sprint sits with a load of WM junk and is hurting. Palm finds a carrier in need.

Android maker HTC chose Sprint for the Hero..and verizon is probably next. Why mess with AT&T when its flagship iphone is there?

I guess what i'm saying is that Apple doesn't have to do much. It's the handset makers that choose carriers and picking the one with a juggernaut phone to go directly up against isn't too feasible to do off the bat. If i had a killer product like the Pre, i'd choose Sprint or Verizon to sell it on before AT&T. Why would i want my phone stuck in the corner of an AT&T store with all of the gigantic iphone displays?

Palm should go to AT&T if they can, but they shouldn't be in a rush to do so. Verizon is ripe for the taking having really nothing more than an LG dumbphone as its popular consumer phone.

And it goes without saying once again. Palm must execute better. Stop the horrible marketing, do value added updates (ie..video recording)...just show off that phone. It should be selling much much better than it is. It's the only consumer smartphone with multitouch, awesome screen, slick multitasking, top notch browser, notifications, 3rd party apps, and a portrait qwerty. Sell it palm.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10/12/2009 at 07:22 PM.
    BTW..i love Verizon's latest commercial going after AT&T using Apple's commercial against them. This is what Palm should be doing from the get go. Do or die time..be aggressive. It's exactly the kind of attitude little apple showed to juggernaut Microsoft in the PC market.
    ok so back to my original question....uh..anyone know when the pre comes out for at&t? & have proof of that information?
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Nobody knows for sure and there hasn't been any news or interest shown by AT&T. At least nothing that I've read.

I wouldn't expect At&T to come out with the Pre, at least not anytime soon, because of their partnership with Apple iphone and palm marketing the pre as "the iphone killer"... so yeah it'd be counter intuitive for them to offer the pre.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moe101978 View Post
    ok so back to my original question....uh..anyone know when the pre comes out for at&t? & have proof of that information?
    Late 2017.
    AT&T expects to sell Palm Pre when Sprint's exclusivity ends

Only this before the Pre came out on Sprint..
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    Nobody knows for sure and there hasn't been any news or interest shown by AT&T. At least nothing that I've read.

I wouldn't expect At&T to come out with the Pre, at least not anytime soon, because of their partnership with Apple iphone and palm marketing the pre as "the iphone killer"... so yeah it'd be counter intuitive for them to offer the pre.
    Only thing is that Palm isn't marketing anything as an "iphone killer." Only the ******* and media have been doing this.

At least link a commercial or something directly from palm that supports this? Surely it isn't Mcnamee's comments mostly taken out of context by other media.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    In other words, you have no ounce of proof. It's funny how in Apple in 2 and half years went from a company who have never made a phone before to now being accused of determining which phones the second biggest carrier in the whole of America decides to sell. I guess it shows how successful they actually are, the more successful you, the more hate and disdain you receive.
    Boy it is difficult discussing anything with someone who is not rational and CAN NOT READ!!! So I'll put it more simply for your clearly 5th grade education. Apple in all likelihood did not pressure AT&T but it is in AT&T's own interest not to **** off the biggest hand that feeds them - common sense should tell you that. Done!
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Only thing is that Palm isn't marketing anything as an "iphone killer." Only the ******* and media have been doing this.

At least link a commercial or something directly from palm that supports this? Surely it isn't Mcnamee's comments mostly taken out of context by other media.
    http://brightsideofnews.com/data/200...-Apple-337.jpg

Any sprint/palm pre ad is a joint ad. They have advertisement/marketing deals when they decide to share a service/phone. So yeah...

Plus, the whole itunes sync battle between apple and palm...at&t would be stupid to get in the middle of that by offering the pre. Logically, For the pre to be offered by at&t, apple would have to first break its iphone exclusiveness with at&t.
    Last edited by Zaki; 10/13/2009 at 04:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Apple's arrogance forbids them from allowing the Pre from appearing in AT&T's lineup. Heck I'd be surprised if Apple even "allowed" AT&T to carry the Pixi or a GSM Hero. As they say back in the motherland, Apple have AT&T by the short & curlies, and they know it!
    Curious you should say that when the exact analogue is happening in the UK.

O2 had the exclusive iPhone deal and (as of this Friday) will also have an exclusive Pre deal (same cost, same contract) . This is only slightly tempered by the fact that O2 loses it's exclusivity on the iPhone soon.
    A web ad by Sprint? Yep, Palm totally positioned the Pre to the mainstream as the "iphone killer"

Sprint's exclusive with Palm didn't stop them from introducing the Hero. I think this is more about Palm recognizing that Verizon (number one US carrier with only a few BB's) offers a much better choice for now. They can't launch all carriers at once.
    ok so now i'm told that when sprint's exclusive contract with the pre is up, then verizon and at&t will get it..and that will be sometime in 2010...it could be as soon as january or as late as december 2010...

so...

basically (i think) my only option besides waiting for god-knows-how-long is to buy the pre in europe somewhere or on ebay-but as i understand it, it would have to be unlocked (for gsm) bc i am on at&t (and yes sprint coverage BLOWS where i live).. am i correct in all this? i figure someone out there can back up what i'm being told by my informants in at&t..haha..
    moe101978

While Verizon continues to assert that they will get the Pre (so it is at least plausible that they could get it in 2010), AT&T has said little...this doesn't mean they *won't* get it, but rather...it's uncertain. I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

As far as getting GSM pres from elsewhere...the O2 version (the Pre in the UK and Ireland) has the right bands (so you'd be able to get AT&T 3G)...but O2's pre is sim-locked to the carrier...so some hacker would have to figure out how to unlock it before you'd be able to do anything...so that's off the table for now.

The German GSM pre (also with O2, but different country) is ***not*** locked to O2, however...the only issue is that German phones have the QWERTZ layout instead of QWERTY...plus, the cost will be unsubsidized. So if those two issues don't bother you, you could easily go that route.
    yea well as far as im told by my informant, at&t WILL DEF have it out-its just a matter of WHEN..so i'm left to wonder...and think "how long do i wait it out?"

yea, with Germany (my motherland btw) there is the keyboard issue, but i've seen it and its not much different, at least not different enuf to matter at all to me..

there are ways to get those unlocked & i have seen them out there, but now my issue/post has changed..since i can get the pre today if i wanted to (& money wasn't an issue), now i'm wondering if anyone can help me find one as cheap as possible. i know its a time issue like i said & the longer i wait, the cheaper it will get. (if you just watch ebay, you can almost see the prices sliding down by the minute!)..so i'm wondering if you fine folks can point me to the best site that is both reliable & inexpensive...

like i said, all it has to be is unlocked/gsm capable. with that, i can swap the sim card out and be on my way..so any help guys??
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345