1.    #1  
    Not too long ago, I wired my car to play nice with my iPhone in that I can change tracks and control playlists with the cars factory deck. The connector to the iPhone is a standard iPhone connector.

I was curious, if an adapter existed (if one does, please let me know) that can connect the Pre's microUSB to my iPod/iPhone car connector, would my car recognize the Pre as an iPod and will all of the same control I have with my iPhone carry over?

Thanks

KrispyKarim
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I wonder the same thing. I have an iTouch and I use to play it there the usb of my radio. I might give it a try and hit you back. BTW, I play Pandora through the headphone jack to my car raido AUX jack. (cd player has both usb and AUX)...
    not gonna happen. The ipod connector has many more wires to it than microusb, including audio, and wiring for the controls. The pre only has a standard 4 wire connector, like any usb. It doesn't carry audio over it, or any command data, only transfers data and provides power.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    The Pre does work with some of the basic A2DP bluetooth functions. For example, the track forward and track backwards button on my BT car kit will change tracks on the Pre's built-in music player. One of those two buttons also seems to work for making Pandora skip to the next song, but I don't know if it does the or not.

Playlists and other fancy stuff is probably not supported, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of those features popping up in the future in a homebrew app if the bluetooth A2DP protocol supports them.....
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I just plugged in to my usb port on my cd player in my truck. It works when you select Media Sync mode. You have to use the controls of your radio though. The Pre goes into a sort of standby mode where it just shows a picture of the Pre with audio controls on it but you can't interact with them. No fancy playlists or anything. Just basics.
    Last edited by percyg77; 08/29/2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: fixing grammer
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    not gonna happen. The ipod connector has many more wires to it than microusb, including audio, and wiring for the controls. The pre only has a standard 4 wire connector, like any usb. It doesn't carry audio over it, or any command data, only transfers data and provides power.
    wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by percyg77 View Post
    wrong.
    Then prove it. I know that ipod integration kits don't just use a standard usb cable, they use the expanded cable, that has much more functionality. Don't tell me I'm wrong without counter argument, all you're doing is showing me you don't understand how ipod car integration kits work.
    I have a Sony MEX-BT2500 that supports bluetooth audio (A2DP).

The track forward/backward/pause work great with both Pandora and the Music Player.

Note: For atleast the BT2500, you must start playback of a track or a playlist on the Pre first, before the BT2500 will track forward/backward/pause. Also, no track information is transferred to the stereo's display, you have to check the screen on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Then prove it. I know that ipod integration kits don't just use a standard usb cable, they use the expanded cable, that has much more functionality. Don't tell me I'm wrong without counter argument, all you're doing is showing me you don't understand how ipod car integration kits work.
    I must not understand than...I assumed that his deck had a standard usb port that you could plug any usb supported device to.
    I was investigating this, since my car has an OEM iPod connector.

The simplest solution is this: CableJive: Jive with iPod and iPhone

It'll breakout the iPod connector to USB and a 3.5mm audio jack. Obviously, connecting the audio is simple (from the Pre's headphone jack). Charging from the USB port is also no trouble. If your the hobbyist type, you can hack apart an iPod extension cable (they exist, use Google) and grab the wires you need.

My car allows me to change tracks/playlists through the radio, which I don't know if Pre would let you do (I doubt it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by percyg77 View Post
    I just plugged in to my usb port on my cd player in my truck. It works when you select Media Sync mode. You have to use the controls of your radio though. The Pre goes into a sort of standby mode where it just shows a picture of the Pre with audio controls on it but you can't interact with them. No fancy playlists or anything. Just basics.
    Sounds like your just using the pre as a usb drive. Also you can't receive calls when in Media Sync or usb mode.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    There's an adapter that converts your ipod dock into a bluetooth receiver. That would do the trick, plus let you use it wirelessly.