Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    So yesterday I randomly saw the pre go and stay in Phone Offline mode. It was not in airplane mode or anything like that. After searching the internet I couldn't find a way other than doing resets (which I tried) to get the signal back (wifi still worked and phone functioned normally other than having no phone signal whatsoever). I took it to my local sprint store who then told me to take it to the next one (10 mins away) that had a repair center. After waiting an hour they tell me they cannot fix the problem.

Ok, no big deal, they tried and couldn't fix it, right? Well, I'm not really sure what they tried. They then tell me it's completely useless now and they will ship a new one (under warranty) to me by Monday (so I'm screwed for the weekend, that was a whole different story). Anyway I get back home and play around with it more (as I said, the device works, just no phone signal). So I back up everything (again) and try the full erase/restore method from the phone itself. Ten minutes later it's back up and running. I think I will still take the replacement, since this one seems to have some sort of random hardware error, but what did I waste almost 3 hours of my precious time (im a med student) waiting for them to do? Clearly they didn't try a restore, which doesn't make sense to me. I'm glad its working now, obviously, but I don't really understand how I could get it to work, but the pros can't...

Sorry just a little rant, other than that and the occasional battery/slider shut off issue my pre's been fantastic, but I'll take the new one hoping it doesn't have these same annoying problems.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    If it happens again, turn airplane mode on and back off.

That fixes it 90% of the time. It's been on this forum quite a bit.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    If it happens again, turn airplane mode on and back off.

That fixes it 90% of the time. It's been on this forum quite a bit.
    Definitely was not the problem, although I did try that a bunch of times. Thanks for the feedback, though.
    Mine just did the phone offline thing tonight and turning airplane mode on and off did the trick.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Just a question: Did you happen to install the virtual keyboard shortly before receiving the offline message? I also experienced this issue about an hour after applying the keyboard patch. I had to power cycle my phone 3 times to get it going again.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Yes, I did apply the virtual keyboard patch, and it worked perfectly. I did the patch earlier in the day, prob around 11 AM. The error happened at around 4 in the afternoon. Only a full restore solved the problem. I definitely think it's related to the keyboard, not sure why, but I'll skip it for now until it's a little more processed. Should be getting a replacement today which I think I'll keep even though I got the old one up and running again since I've been having battery/slider issues as well.
    mine did that yesterday like 2 times.. i noticed that it just shut down, no clue why..
    I did have this happen as well after installing the OSK.
    Probably something interacting.
    Question, though: When it said your phone was "offline", was it actually?
    Mine kept flitting back and forth between on- and off-line, but I could still get to VM, even when it was "offline".
    Since I don't use my Pre as a phone that much, it wasn't really a problem that I spent any real time on, but it did seem that the "offline" notification might have been spurious.
    i got a couple phone calls dropped due to it goin offline.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Interesting results. Since having my phone,(early June) this has never happened to me until I patched the keyboard. My earpiece randomly stopped working yesterday too and also required a few power cycles to get it going again. These things have to be related. As useful as the onscreen keyboard may be to me, the phones standard functionality takes prority.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Has to do with the java service being rebooted i believe
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Mine just did the phone offline thing tonight and turning airplane mode on and off did the trick.
    My phone went into offline mode after i installed the keyboard patch....about a min later it reconnected
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Has to do with the java service being rebooted i believe
    Now that is an interesting thought. How would one determine what program is rebooting the java service?
    I just experienced this. I was gone for a week on a cruise and I left the Pre off with the battery out. When I put the battery back in and turned it on, it just said 'Phone Offline.' I tried Airplane Mode On/Off and I didn't even get the Airplane icon, although it DID cycle the WiFi connection. I did a Ctrl-Alt-Delete and it came up with Phone Offline again. This time, however, cycling Airplane Mode reconnected me and started the flood of Voicemail/Text Message alerts.