Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I recently installed Preware to get the virtual keyboard, but now I can't install anything using Filecoaster. I get an error that says I don't have enough disk space, however, when I go to Preware I can install anything I want. WTF? Is Preware not allowing Filecoaster to install apps?
  2. yellow's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #2  
    no problem here, but had real bad memory problem yesterday after using Google Maps
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I recently installed Preware to get the virtual keyboard, but now I can't install anything using Filecoaster. I get an error that says I don't have enough disk space, however, when I go to Preware I can install anything I want. WTF? Is Preware not allowing Filecoaster to install apps?
    Actually, it's FileCoaster not allowing apps to install. FileCoaster uses a Palm-method of installing apps, which currently has a software-imposed memory limit.

    Preware, like WebOS Quick Install, deal directly with ipkg. This gets around the software imposed limit, letting you install as many apps as your device has space for (which I believe should be in the several hundred, if not thousand range)
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Actually, it's FileCoaster not allowing apps to install. FileCoaster uses a Palm-method of installing apps, which currently has a software-imposed memory limit.

    Preware, like WebOS Quick Install, deal directly with ipkg. This gets around the software imposed limit, letting you install as many apps as your device has space for (which I believe should be in the several hundred, if not thousand range)
    So what you are saying is that I should delete some that I installed with filecoaster and re-download the with PreWare, so that I can download some of the one that I can't get from palm app catalog because of no memory.
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    So what you are saying is that I should delete some that I installed with filecoaster and re-download the with PreWare, so that I can download some of the one that I can't get from palm app catalog because of no memory.
    I don't even think you'd need to uninstall any apps, just use WebOS Quick Install or Preware to install the new apps and theoretically they should install. If not, then I'd suggest you uninstall one or 2 filecoaster-installed apps then redownload them through WebOS Quick Install or Preware.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I don't even think you'd need to uninstall any apps, just use WebOS Quick Install or Preware to install the new apps and theoretically they should install. If not, then I'd suggest you uninstall one or 2 filecoaster-installed apps then redownload them through WebOS Quick Install or Preware.
    Sound good to me. Thanks!!!
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

  7.    #7  
    The only thing that I miss from FileCoaster is that I have the option to install any apps by entering the download link manually. For example FriendsFlow updates 4 times a day some times and the app catalog doesn't get updated that often so I just copy the link posted and pasted on filecoaster. Is it possible to add that option?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    The only thing that I miss from FileCoaster is that I have the option to install any apps by entering the download link manually. For example FriendsFlow updates 4 times a day some times and the app catalog doesn't get updated that often so I just copy the link posted and pasted on filecoaster. Is it possible to add that option?
    Could just download the ipks on your computer and us WebOS Quick Install *winkwink* lol
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Could just download the ipks on your computer and us WebOS Quick Install *winkwink* lol
    I know, but I'm a mobile man and I try to do everything as much as possible from my Pre. If I have to depend on my PC then I feel like my Palm Pre experience is failing.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I know, but I'm a mobile man and I try to do everything as much as possible from my Pre. If I have to depend on my PC then I feel like my Palm Pre experience is failing.
    Use Preware from the Pre and webOS Quick Install from your PC.

    - Craig
  11. turtle3's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    The only thing that I miss from FileCoaster is that I have the option to install any apps by entering the download link manually. For example FriendsFlow updates 4 times a day some times and the app catalog doesn't get updated that often so I just copy the link posted and pasted on filecoaster. Is it possible to add that option?
    Preware will recognize that there is an update for your app and you can download the updated version. With Filecoaster, you have to look at the version number each time. Preware is a more polished application installer and references multiple app repositories. The only thing I don't like is that the "descriptions" of the apps don't show up - you have to use the link to the dev's website.

    However, I do like URL download on Filecoaster for directly downloading web-images.

    When do you think we'll see a "press and hold" patch for directly downloading images from websites within the browser? (maybe it already exists???)
  12.    #12  
    Yeah I was reading other threads here and the Preware guys were asking for the gallery update to download their updates while I just copy and paste the URL on filecoaster. So yeah, the URL download is a must have for Preware. Please add this feature.
  13. turtle3's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #13  
    Maybe my post was confusing. When I open Preware, it checks all my apps and looks for updates. Then on the home screen, the top choice is "Application Updates" which is greyed out (can't touch it) when there are no updates and has a number next to it when there are.

    It would seem to me that pasting the URL (which could change?) to update your FriendsFlow app requires more steps/input from you than having Preware check for you and let you know if you need to update.

    I was running into a similar problem as you with both PreMedi and gDial Pro since those apps change almost daily. Opening Preware and seeing if updates are available seems easier for me.

    Does that make sense?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    The only thing that I miss from FileCoaster is that I have the option to install any apps by entering the download link manually. For example FriendsFlow updates 4 times a day some times and the app catalog doesn't get updated that often so I just copy the link posted and pasted on filecoaster. Is it possible to add that option?
    Since Preware supports Advanced Homebrew installation (packages that includes installation scripts that are executed as the root user in Linux), then allowing installs from manually downloaded ipkg links would be a security risk.

    Imagine someone posts a thread for a new "wallpaper switcher" app, but they actually link to a rogue application which accesses your personal information on your Pre and sends it off to a spam botnet ... the risk of installation of malware through social engineering is just too great.

    This is why Preware allows you to view the installation script before it is executed - many eyes looking at those scripts from packages that have been submitted by registered developers to trusted feeds will make sure that the risk of rogue apps is acceptably low. Allowing installations of Advanced Homebrew from any random location is not an acceptable risk for an on-device installer application in my opinion.

    However, if someone wants to download the ipkg file to their PC, and use WebOS Quick Install to install it, then there's an extra step there where hopefully people will think about what they are installing and make sure it's from a trusted source. This reduces the risk of social engineering attacks.

    We are still hoping that WebOS Quick Install will also give the user the ability to view the installation script that will be executed as the root Linux user before it runs. At the moment, an important deterrent for rogue malware applications and tool for the user to make sure a package they got from some random URL is safe before installing it is missing from WebOS Quick Install in my opinion.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Yeah I was reading other threads here and the Preware guys were asking for the gallery update to download their updates while I just copy and paste the URL on filecoaster. So yeah, the URL download is a must have for Preware. Please add this feature.
    What other threads?

    preware.org checks all originating sites for new package versions every 15 minutes. Each time you open Preware, it gets the latest updates from preware.org and shows any updated packages.

    See my other post for the reason that URL downloads will not be added. It is just too dangerous.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I recently installed Preware to get the virtual keyboard, but now I can't install anything using Filecoaster. I get an error that says I don't have enough disk space, however, when I go to Preware I can install anything I want. WTF? Is Preware not allowing Filecoaster to install apps?
    doudle check that devmode is turned on lol, a common mistake have a great day!!!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Actually, it's FileCoaster not allowing apps to install. FileCoaster uses a Palm-method of installing apps, which currently has a software-imposed memory limit.

    Preware, like WebOS Quick Install, deal directly with ipkg. This gets around the software imposed limit, letting you install as many apps as your device has space for (which I believe should be in the several hundred, if not thousand range)
    hundred or thousand apps?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I recently installed Preware to get the virtual keyboard, but now I can't install anything using Filecoaster. I get an error that says I don't have enough disk space, however, when I go to Preware I can install anything I want. WTF? Is Preware not allowing Filecoaster to install apps?
    Just for the record, Preware does not interfere with fileCoaster in any way, shape or form.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Actually, it's FileCoaster not allowing apps to install. FileCoaster uses a Palm-method of installing apps, which currently has a software-imposed memory limit.

    Preware, like WebOS Quick Install, deal directly with ipkg. This gets around the software imposed limit, letting you install as many apps as your device has space for (which I believe should be in the several hundred, if not thousand range)
    I guess it depends on the size of the apps. I would have said tens to low hundreds myself ;-)

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I know, but I'm a mobile man and I try to do everything as much as possible from my Pre. If I have to depend on my PC then I feel like my Palm Pre experience is failing.
    Install terminal (using Preware), then you can install any package directly over-the-air by using the command:

    ipkg -o /var install http://web.site.address/filename.ipk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions