1.    #1  
    Is it possible to buy a Pre without a contract and develop applications for it?

Basically I want to know if the non-contract Pre needs to be activated or if I could *jailbreak it and then use it without subscribing to _any_ cellular service, and still install apps on it to test them.

* Assuming jailbreaking is possible.
    An easy start would be that the sdk comes with an emulator.

Past that, if you really want the phone, it's my understanding that you must activate it. Someone else, I'm sure, could tell you definitively on this, but I wanted one for cellular service so I never fully looked into it, I've just seen it in passing.

And as far as "jailbreaking", there's no such thing on the pre. Root access is already fully enabled on the pre, so there's nothing to break. You literally just log in, and you have root acces in a terminal. That's it. No jailbreaking, no rooting, just log in to the root user that's already there and wide open.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply. I am already using the emulator. However I need the actual Pre to test the accelerometer functionality.
    From what I've heard, you can't get past the activation screen without activating. So, it doesn't seem that you'd be able to do what you want. I also think that Sprint won't sell to you without a contract. Not sure about Bell Canada.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/29/2009 at 08:19 AM.
    There was an activation crack pretty early either on here or the wiki. So yes, you can. The it will only get net via wifi.
    Oh, didn't know about activation crack. Good to know!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks guys !
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    What software is used to build pre apps? You might find a Pre on eBAY.
    Quote Originally Posted by van_houtte View Post
    Is it possible to buy a Pre without a contract and develop applications for it?
    This was brought up multiple times under the Developer and PDN forums. Palm has said that they are trying to make this happen but, unfortunately, cannot do this right now.

My guess is when an American GSM version is available you'll be able to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhd09 View Post
    What software is used to build pre apps? You might find a Pre on eBAY.
    Palm's SDK plus whatever editors / IDEs you want (I love using Komodo but Eclipse works as well).