1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I was talking with a Sprint technician, and he raised an interesting question: is the play in the slider a deliberate design decision in an attempt to lessen wear and tear on the electrical components?

The technician had cited his experience with other slider devices that had a much tighter sliding mechanism and their propensity to develop issues with the electronics (namely the ribbon) that connect the two parts of the handsets electronically.

And please note that I'm not talking about the egregious examples, such as what Dieter experienced.

Thoughts?
    T-Minus 4 minutes until thread is moved
    Last edited by Knee Dragger; 08/28/2009 at 04:33 PM.
    There is no spoon
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    T-Minus 4 minutes until thread is moved
    Still here
    This theory has been brought up many times...I doubt it. If the oreoing inhibits the use of the top right shoulder/power button, i doubt it was a design decision.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    The Sprint technician is pushing stories. Go pickup any phone slider out there and you will notice they are all solid like a rock, no Oreo effect at all. It is ridiculous to accept those kind of salads. He is probably "ordered" by Palm to give this answer.

The best is what hapenned with Palm and Bell Canada. Bell was forced to sign a no replacement policy. In other words, you buy the phone and you have like 30 days or 30 minutes of talk to time to refund it, no exchanges, you are stuck with the phone. That is the Palm strategy to avoid replacements for a bad build? Ridiculous.

So far I'm on my 3rd phone. The first 2 broke after one day and they had a ton of issues, beside the classy Oreo. I hoped the 3rd one is a charm. Yesterday, while I was making a video to show how tight and cool my phone is, the phone Oreo'ed like 3mm, out of the blue. It was tight before.... not anymore. Well, it is going back to Future Shop for an exchange. I still have 5 days warranty.

In conclusion, when you get a phone that is worth $600, you expect it to be impecable. It does not matter you got the phone for $200 with contract, it is still retailed at $600.

And most important, the rails mechanism do not involve any electronic component. They are simply a bad design. I'm sure you know exacty what I mean.
    Last edited by T3CK; 09/08/2009 at 10:02 AM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    This actually makes sense since I see a lot of slide phones with screen issues that are ribbon based. The LG Rumour comes to mind.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    there are NO excuses for this "oreo" effect. Like mentioned above me, take any slider phone and it is ROCK hard! I especially hate it when sprint acts like THEY know what the hell they are talking about. They once told me that the phone is SUPPOSE to be like that...then i picked up a floor model and showed them the difference

I love the pre! But everyone has to stop coming up with excuses for the poor build quality.
    It's was designed that way to reduce the chances of developing carpal tunnel syndrome.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    ohhhhhh....i thought it was designed to be child proof
    What about the t-mobile sidekick? Who ever invented/designed that was a genius.. That phone snapped out, swiveled around, did a 180 and locked in position without a flaw. My girl had a sidekick for a year and a half without a problem with build quality. Need i mention she dropped it about once a week.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I fixed my Oreo issue without modification or tools, thanks to user wrightwe.
    Now, the phone is tight and has zero Oreo effect, as it should be from the factory.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    T3CK ^^^ Is that the super glue method? About that, do you do both slide rails or the one on the left, the easy one? Thanks