Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. Romanmb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey guys,

    I went in today and followed Dieter's instructions to installing the OS Keyboard. I followed them to the tee and was given an error by PreWare that it was unable to install the keyboard (unspecified error).

    I then went in through WebOS Quick Install and noticed that in the WebOSInternals repository there is a program for the virtual keyboard. I attempted to install that and got this error:

    ERROR: An error occured while attempting to run /var/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard.postinst (err1)


    Do any of you guys know how to correct this issue so I can install the keyboard?

    Thanks!
  2. oundn1's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #2  
    im having same problem, any help much appreciated.
  3. #3  
    You need to update the Package Manager Service to 0.7.7, then update the Preware app to 0.7.7. Then read instructions below....

    We debuged the issue the GNU Binary and keyboard patch file. All you need to do now is install the GNU patch under Service and Plugins, then go into available patches and install the keyboard.

    Also install these either through the quick install feeds, or the easiest is just do it under Preware, on the Pre.

    If you need to change the theme and add sound. Give me a shout
  4. Romanmb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
       #4  
    Hey splmonster,

    My Package Manager Service and Preware app are both version 0.7.7 (that is what is listed when i click on them in WebOS Quick Install)... I'm not sure what you mean by installing the GNU patch under Service and Plugins?

    The keyboard is showing up under available patches now, it just gives an error when it tries to install (both through Preware and through WebOS Quick Install)
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    Hey splmonster,

    My Package Manager Service and Preware app are both version 0.7.7 (that is what is listed when i click on them in WebOS Quick Install)... I'm not sure what you mean by installing the GNU patch under Service and Plugins?

    The keyboard is showing up under available patches now, it just gives an error when it tries to install (both through Preware and through WebOS Quick Install)
    You need to install the GNU patch Binary first before putting any patches. So install that first then the keyboard. GNU patch is located under service and plugins.
  6. #6  
    worked for me no problem...kinda getting used to the onscreen keyboard functions. it takes some getting used to -- some things like text messaging is a little weird with the keyboard and the text box being on the bottom of the screen. but yea this is what i wanted and am so geeked out over this right now! kudos!
  7. Romanmb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
       #7  
    splmonster,

    my GNU patch binary had been installed and it is version 2.5.9.2.

    I tried removing it and then resintalling but I got the same error

    Any other ideas? Thanks for the help btw!
  8. #8  
    Join us in the IRC chat, we can go step by step and debug it. Nickname yourself same as this screenname.

    Portal:Community - WebOS Internals
  9. Romanmb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
       #9  
    thanks for the help!
  10. #10  
    I have the exact problem.
    I have tried installing keyboard via command line, webos quick install, and preware.

    I have the newest versions for all services on the pre.


    Update, I went and removed all my old patches and then tried it through webos quick install to get it working.
  11. oundn1's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #11  
    hey monster, thank u. i got it working. i would like to have a darker theme. i have a hard time seeing it with the light background, if u have one darker it would help. also if u had a way for it to give some kind of feedback like haptic or beep that would be cool. this is great tho. i really like it, thanks again for your help.
  12. Romanmb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by oundn1 View Post
    hey monster, thank u. i got it working. i would like to have a darker theme. i have a hard time seeing it with the light background, if u have one darker it would help. also if u had a way for it to give some kind of feedback like haptic or beep that would be cool. this is great tho. i really like it, thanks again for your help.
    Hey oundn1,

    Haptic feedback is built into the keyboard! gconnect your pre in USB mode and open the folder "virtual keyboard"... There is a file in there with setting, open it with notepad and change haptic=0 to haptic=50
  13. oundn1's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #13  
    ok, cool. thank u romanmb. i will definitely be checkin that out. do u know anything about different screen colors?
  14. Romanmb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
       #14  
    different screen colors for the keyboard? You can also change themes in that file as well...

    The keyboard has 3 themes that it comes with and there are more you can download. Go here: On Screen Keyboard - WebOS Internals

    And scroll down to options and themes
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    ERROR: An error occured while attempting to run /var/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard.postinst (err1)


    Do any of you guys know how to correct this issue so I can install the keyboard?!
    Just for future reference to others, this error tends to happen when you have hacks already applied. unapply the hacks and try re-installation.
  16. #16  
    i just did a webos dr reset. The only thing I have installed is optware and quilt. I am also getting this error when installing the keyboard. The package manager installed correctly, that is without error, however no icon is showing up...any ideas?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  17. #17  
    never mind. I got it working. But I did get that error prior to installing any hacks or changes. Thanks! GNU Binary worked for me!

    * after reinstalling my backups, It seems that one of the hacks I have on my device is messing the Onscreen Keyboard up. It is no longer coming up...anyone notice it not working after applying hacks? Any ideas which ones could be messing with it?
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/29/2009 at 11:23 AM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    i just did a webos dr reset. The only thing I have installed is optware and quilt. I am also getting this error when installing the keyboard. The package manager installed correctly, that is without error, however no icon is showing up...any ideas?
    Are you installing the Package Manager and Preware, or are you installing the GNU Patch Binary and the Virtual Keyboard.

    Sounds like your mismatching the pairs. Though, yes, Package Manager is not supposed to appear in the launcher
  19. #19  
    Wow...what a few hours. I did get the keyboard working, by installing the GNU Patch, Package manager then the Virtual keyboard. I then put my Zompre theme and changes back in and then i lost the virtual keyboard.

    I did yet another webos restore thinking i will apply my theme one part at a time to see what was causing me to lose the virtual keyboard. When I was doing the second webos dr I lost power at my house for about an hour. When it came back, I was stuck in a weird loop where the palm logo would come up than fade away real choppy like.

    Took it to sprint. They replaced it and said it was "fried"?? Whatever. Got a new pre minus the dead pixels from the last. Its is re-manufactured but whatever...now let me try this again
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    Hey oundn1,

    Haptic feedback is built into the keyboard! gconnect your pre in USB mode and open the folder "virtual keyboard"... There is a file in there with setting, open it with notepad and change haptic=0 to haptic=50
    i have the virtual keyboard working. I pretty much a terminal novice. Can anybody explain how to get haptic response set on a Mac?

    thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions