1.    #1  
    Wasn't sure if anyone posted about this yet, but I just got my beautiful palm pre from Bell.

I removed the battery cover and checked out the compartment, and lo and behold, there's no foam pad.

I did a quick ##786# and it shows a WarrantyDateCode as 8/14/2009.

I've tried to reproduce the quick slide shut power off problem but I can't.
    maybe only the refurbished ones have the foam
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    maybe only the refurbished ones have the foam
    yeah, i think you are on to something

This may be a band aid fix
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I got a replacement (non-refurb) one yesterday and it does not have the foam pad. They also made me keep my original battery.
    Warranty date code is way back on 7/22 and it still had WebOS 1.04. I wonder what they dug this one out from?
    I expect to have to return this one at some point but I am still hoping for the best.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    TheLastOne... Im curious, does your Pre have the "oreo" problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by nowise View Post
    I got a replacement (non-refurb) one yesterday and it does not have the foam pad. They also made me keep my original battery.
    Warranty date code is way back on 7/22 and it still had WebOS 1.04. I wonder what they dug this one out from?
    I expect to have to return this one at some point but I am still hoping for the best.
    I'm guessing the refurbished you they gave you didn't have the crashing problem so no need for the foam
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hope not because that is why I returned my last one which was otherwise perfect
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I have a referb with the date of 7/22 also with no foam pad. The original manufacture date is 6/7. I have zero oreo and the phone is perfect. Maybe they are catching on to our complaints? We can hope. I am very pleased with my refurb and do not anticipate any issues down the road.
  9.    #9  
    Well, I must say there is a tiny bit of jiggle when the phone is closed. But by tiny I mean TINY.
    Mine was made near the end of July, no foam pad and fortunately no "oreo". I do have a slight bit of wobble when closed that I can feel but it's hard to even see it. Not at all noticable during use, of course. Only problem I do have is the usb cover sticks out ever so slightly on one side. I am sure I can figure that out if I get around to looking at it, but it would be rather nitpicky to complain about.
    Not all of the Pre's are affected by the battery/slider issue. I've had mine from day one launch and I've never encountered the slider issue. My only defect was/is one dead pixel.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Not all of the Pre's are affected by the battery/slider issue. I've had mine from day one launch and I've never encountered the slider issue. My only defect was/is one dead pixel.
    Agreed. I have a launch-day Pre, and my battery is wedged in there so tight I thought I would break something the first time I removed it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    i have a brand new pre manufactoring date is 07/14 and it does have the Foam so I can confirm its NOT just the refurbs.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Agreed. I have a launch-day Pre, and my battery is wedged in there so tight I thought I would break something the first time I removed it.
    Picked up a Pre yesterday after work, and the guy at the Bell store said to make sure whatever I do, don't take the battery out. He couldn't really explain why, but was pretty insistent that it was a bad idea. Not sure what Bell has been telling their CSRs about this, but its the first I've heard of such a thing. Anybody heard of this? What about replacing it with an aftermarket one, what problems could I possibly have if I remove the battery? I swapped batteries daily with my Treo 700, so I always had a fresh one in the phone while the other charged. Now I can understand not wanting to play around too much with that flimsy battery door, but what else could go wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by brentb View Post
    Picked up a Pre yesterday after work, and the guy at the Bell store said to make sure whatever I do, don't take the battery out. He couldn't really explain why, but was pretty insistent that it was a bad idea. Not sure what Bell has been telling their CSRs about this, but its the first I've heard of such a thing. Anybody heard of this? What about replacing it with an aftermarket one, what problems could I possibly have if I remove the battery? I swapped batteries daily with my Treo 700, so I always had a fresh one in the phone while the other charged. Now I can understand not wanting to play around too much with that flimsy battery door, but what else could go wrong?
    You were talking just to a clueless rep. Take it out in front of him and tell him to shuv it up his AS$
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    For some reason, the CSR's and Store reps were told that the pre shouldn't be turned off once you turn it on... and to NOT take the battery out... dunno why....

Mine is wedged in there tight though. It is a non refurbed, manufactured on 8/14/2009. No foam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecode View Post
    For some reason, the CSR's and Store reps were told that the pre shouldn't be turned off once you turn it on... and to NOT take the battery out... dunno why....
    Easy.

thats so they never miss an opportunity to suck up your personal use patterns and app installs to the palm mothership. god forbid your Pre is off when they wanna sample your bizness.

palm is watching youuuuu, palm is watching youuuuu
    relax if you have no foam pad its got the tighter fitting battery in it which is a design fix and you dont need the foam pad unless there is a space at the back side of the battery. ha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    i have a brand new pre manufactoring date is 07/14 and it does have the Foam so I can confirm its NOT just the refurbs.
    dial ##786#on ur phone scroll down alook for recondate if there is no date then it is new yay!!!