Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a way to wipe out Text History on the PRE? After I delete the conversation of course, I may not want others seeing who I text...thanks for the info.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Hmmm, don't want the wife know you have a girlfriend?

Well, you can not allow your Pre to fall in the wrong hands, or swipe the conversation away and delete which should do what you need. Just remember that cell phone companies keep records of texts for 3 years, if the person you don't want reading those texts some is able to get a hold of those...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! Maybe I don't want the girlfriend to know I have a wife j/k of course...
    Last edited by reverendrhino; 08/28/2009 at 12:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Thanks! Maybe I don't want the girlfriend to know I have a wife j/k of course...
    Do we think that is real? That they keep text messages for 3 years? Firstly, no one should have access to private messages. Secondly, for 3 years?
  5.    #5  
    Really don't matter, my understanding is that Carriers can only release text/copies by court order. I ain't planning anything illegal.
    Really don't matter, my understanding is that Carriers can only release text/copies by court order. I ain't planning anything illegal.
    Getting those records is no easy task, even for an attorney. Believe me, I've tried.
    I had no idea the carriers kept a copy. That's a little scary...
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    OK but heres another scary thing... hopefully said wife or said girlfriend doenst own a pre because even after i swipe and delete a text message I can sometimes still pull it up if I search in the messaging app for the name of a text I deleted months ago!(try it) any solution for that NOT to happen? not that I am doing anything wrong just in case

my phone stays on locked but still better safe then sorry.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chichi View Post
    OK but heres another scary thing... hopefully said wife or said girlfriend doenst own a pre because even after i swipe and delete a text message I can sometimes still pull it up if I search in the messaging app for the name of a text I deleted months ago!(try it) any solution for that NOT to happen? not that I am doing anything wrong just in case

my phone stays on locked but still better safe then sorry.
    That's not good, theres got to be a way to delete that info completely. Like all Treo's, a quick find of the file, hit delete, all gone.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    That's not good, theres got to be a way to delete that info completely. Like all Treo's, a quick find of the file, hit delete, all gone.
    So are you suggesting that I use internals or file manager from the homebrew? we shouldnt have to

but if you or anyone knows how to do this using one of those apps then let me know cause then they would be worth the download.
  11.    #11  
    So are you suggesting that I use internals or file manager from the homebrew? we shouldnt have to

but if you or anyone knows how to do this using one of those apps then let me know cause then they would be worth the download.
    Sadly that's how its been done with all Treo/Centro models. As long someone finds which file it is on the PRE I would be happy. I'm still waiting for a good call/sms blocker for the PRE too, then I'll go buy PRE...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Sadly that's how its been done with all Treo/Centro models. As long someone finds which file it is on the PRE I would be happy. I'm still waiting for a good call/sms blocker for the PRE too, then I'll go buy PRE...
    No I think there is a disconnect.. on all of my Treos (650, 755) once I deleted an SMS msg it was gone! Unlike the pre you delete it and although it does not show in the conversation history if I often begin to search for a name the pre can recall a convo fromt that contact even if I have deleted that convo..
    That's weird. Mine does not act like this. If I swipe delete text message threads and then try and search for them they do not come up.

Also, if you want to delete all messages couldn't you just remove your sms account under preferences and then re-add it? Would that work?
    Actually, from what I understood, the carriers DO NOT log texts for privacy reasons.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Actually, from what I understood, the carriers DO NOT log texts for privacy reasons.
    My first thoughts as well. However, now I'm thinking it could be a reality seeing that anti-terrorism tactics basically override most 'privacy reasons'. I'd think that either the carriers keep a database or, more than likely, they provide the govt. with the data and its housed in one location.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    That's weird. Mine does not act like this. If I swipe delete text message threads and then try and search for them they do not come up.

Also, if you want to delete all messages couldn't you just remove your sms account under preferences and then re-add it? Would that work?
    Really? Are you sure? Try this: under the messaging app and on the conversations tab, try searching each letter (one letter at a time exampe: A. then B. and so on and so on) you'll be surprised the pre will recall conversations from weeks ago and I know I have deleted them iin the past by doing a swipe and delete confirmation
    chichi.. you are correct.. that is an issue i have had.. not only will it hide from a week ago.. it will hide from today.. there are multiple threads out there right now about it.. i started one today also.. called my pre is fixin to hit the trash..

the quick fix for this, is to go to that contact, in the contact list.. delete the contact.. then re-add the contact. then when you go back into the messaging app, the messages will be there.. and you can delete them that way. from what people have said this is a glitch and palm is aware of it..

supposedly, the palms profile server is messed up right now, and that may be the reason for my issues..
    Really? Are you sure? Try this: under the messaging app and on the conversations tab, try searching each letter (one letter at a time exampe: A. then B. and so on and so on) you'll be surprised the pre will recall conversations from weeks ago and I know I have deleted them iin the past by doing a swipe and delete confirmation
    I am sure. I have tried it again just to make sure. I am in the conversations tab and searched one letter at a time after I swipe deleted an entire message string with someone. Nothing came up. Am I deleting the messages correctly? I am just swipe deleting the entire string. Are people just swipe deleting individual messages?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I am sure. I have tried it again just to make sure. I am in the conversations tab and searched one letter at a time after I swipe deleted an entire message string with someone. Nothing came up. Am I deleting the messages correctly? I am just swipe deleting the entire string. Are people just swipe deleting individual messages?
    Yep that's correct, I wonder if its a setting which I'm pretty sure its not but I can not be the only one with this issue??
    I just tried my pre also....my messages are deleted. I searched under the messaging app under covnersations...and if I searched for a deleted text, it would show 0. Nothing would pull up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast