Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let's face it. If you're anywhere near technology, ads, or...well, the world, it's hard to miss exposure to the new Palm Pre. I've seen very few actual Pre owners, despite the popularity of this forum. (Where ARE you people?)

The great news is, I finally did run into a fellow Pre owner. This phone has been probably the most well-functioning, fun, conversation-starting phone I've ever had. And, when people ask about it, I jump right in and hand them the phone. There's a special little kick you get out of "throwing away" your finished/unwanted screens. C'mon, Pre owners, admit it. So, I've got to let others try. It's like a guaranteed icebreaker, no matter where I go.

So, yesterday, I was hitting the ol' Careerbuilder-and-Monster pavement, crossing my fingers, and I find a job I'm interested in. Okay, so it was a little out of my league. But, after a while it starts to feel like a losing streak at a baseball game. What's one more strike really going to cost you? So I applied.

Surprisingly, I get an e-mail immediately. And a request to squeeze in an interview in an hour. Preparation time? Zero. Nervousness? 100%. Clean suit...? Nada.

So yours truly spends a few minutes ironing out the business suit she dug out of the (not yet taken to the) dry-clean hamper, feeling doubly panicked when she realizes she has no printer ink to create a copy of her own resume. Feeling hopeless, and utterly unprepared, I hopped in the car.

And who had the Pre in tow, when they extended a hand to introduce himself?

My new potential boss.

A bad situation immediately became just another conversation: "Is that the Pre?"

"Why, yes it is."

"I have one...I love it. I'm usually a Blackberry person, but this phone..."

Bingo. Immediate bonding. My terror became more than just a few calming minutes of conversation about our applications, when we bought the phone, rumors of the Pre jumping ship and heading to Verizon.

And then, somewhere along the way, as conversations moved from Pre, to jokes, to pets....he took another look at my resume.

Like I said: the biggest icebreaker, ever. With absolutely everyone I've met, and all of my social circle.

And did I get the job?

Yes. I. Did.

So, thanks, Palm! Here's to you, for creating another solid, sexy, socially-forwarding piece of hardware.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    So which starbucks do you work at? :P
    I had the exact same experience today - I was talking to my boss on the phone and he told me he's tired of Blackberrys crapping-out on him so he's going to buy a Pre tomorrow.

Ok, maybe not the exact same experience. But they've both got a boss, a BB and a Pre. :-)
    Congrats... maybe this is what my bro needs... to kickstart his job-hunting... lol
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Congratulations. Hopefully you have the abilities/credentials to backup the new job!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Bravo! That is awesome indeed. Sometimes, the smallest things can be the biggest catalyst.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Congratulations,
    I hope when you get into the position to hire others that you are willing to look beyond your first glance at the paperwork, to the person.
    My situation wasn't quite as direct, but interesting nonetheless. Back in February (prior to having a firm release date, some of you remember, we were in the "hope it really is before Q3 2009) I had decided to start getting ready for the Pre. I'd never had a Facebook or Linkedin account, and knew the Pre was going to use both, so I registered on both.

In early March I got a call from a headhunter that said she was looking at an old resume of mie, and would I be interested in talking to her, or did I know anyone that had similar skills. I'd just had an issue with the owner of my company, and she caught me in a bad mood. I've worked for the guy off and on for 18 years, and wasn't really looking, she just happened to catch me in a mood. I asked her for details, she gave them to me (it was for a govt job that paid 11k more a year). When I came out to fill out the final paperwork with her, I asked her where she got my resume. She said she found my name on an old resume, and tracked me down using LinkedIn.

Negotiations were complete within a month, and I started the new job in April.

So, the Pre helped me get a new job before I even got it...
    I'm an IT Engineer at a fortune 100 company and I have 3-4 people on my direct team who want Pre's.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    So which starbucks do you work at? :P
    lol

Congrats!
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Is the Pre going to do the job for you also?? Just kidding. That's an awesome story.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    My boss wrote the best-selling book ever on iPods and on iPhones. I wrote a couple of books on Palm OS devices and Treos. Really.

My Pre gets me no brownie points but it's fun office banter every day.
    I hate job hunting but thats the key right there...no not the pre... persistence and never getting discouraged!...enjoy your new job!
    So I'm guessing the Pre didn't tell your new boss that you're crazy, right?
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Congratulations. Hopefully you have the abilities/credentials to backup the new job!
    No need to if You pwn a PRE..

Now it's time for me to put up as many Resumes as possible to the 100k plus area and just find someone with a PRE and I am in. Just hope they don't want me to know anything about the job.
    Haha, My bosses boss and I are friends now because he loves cell phones like I do, He loves the pre more than his blackberry he says. maybe a promotion??? lol I wish.
    SailorSteph,

Congratulations!

The Pre did not give you the connection. You made the connection.

You have everything you need for this job whatever it is. Attitude is everything.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I had the exact same experience today - I was talking to my boss on the phone and he told me he's tired of Blackberrys crapping-out on him so he's going to buy a Pre tomorrow.

Ok, maybe not the exact same experience. But they've both got a boss, a BB and a Pre. :-)
    Thats odd. Our company has been using Blackberries since they were first introduced in late 1990s and I have never heard anyone complain about them "crapping-out". People do break them or drop them in the toilet of course but other than that they just don't seem to die. We still have a bunch of 6000 & 7000 series devices hanging around. They don't seem to crash much either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Thats odd. Our company has been using Blackberries since they were first introduced in late 1990s and I have never heard anyone complain about them "crapping-out". People do break them or drop them in the toilet of course but other than that they just don't seem to die. We still have a bunch of 6000 & 7000 series devices hanging around. They don't seem to crash much either.
    I had users complain pretty strongly about the Pearl. Heard others complain about the Storm, though they weren't users at the company I was at.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I had users complain pretty strongly about the Pearl. Heard others complain about the Storm, though they weren't users at the company I was at.
    I am pretty sure we don't have any company owned Storms and most of the Pearls I have seen have been peoples personal phones. Most of the newer phones seem to be Curves or, for Verizon users, the 8830 (because of the GSM capability).

I have never undertood why anyone would want a Blackberry without a real Qwerty keyboard. They are primarily corporate messaging & PIM devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast