Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    SailorSteph,

Congratulations!

The Pre did not give you the connection. You made the connection.

You have everything you need for this job whatever it is. Attitude is everything.

- Craig
    While this is true, never under-estimate the importance of making an immediate connection based on common interests. I've hired many a person who was not the best on qualifications but who's common interests told me much about the individual.

OP - congrats on the new job.
    Yeah OP, Congrats on the new job!

Maybe my Pre will help me in my job search (it does allow me to tote my resume and email it off when needed...if only I could edit docs to put that personal touch on those coversheets).
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Thats odd. Our company has been using Blackberries since they were first introduced in late 1990s and I have never heard anyone complain about them "crapping-out". People do break them or drop them in the toilet of course but other than that they just don't seem to die. We still have a bunch of 6000 & 7000 series devices hanging around. They don't seem to crash much either.
    Yeah, I had two BBs myself and they were both solid as a rock. But for whatever reason, he's had bad luck with them. I don't recall exactly what he said it was this time, but it was something that quit working rather than something he broke. I agree it's unusual.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    While this is true, never under-estimate the importance of making an immediate connection based on common interests. I've hired many a person who was not the best on qualifications but who's common interests told me much about the individual.

OP - congrats on the new job.
    Agreed. Had my first job interview many moons ago after leaving the military; I walked into the studio with no resume, no portfolio, nothing to show but a nice suit and a smile. The CEO was a vietnam vet and we talked about the Navy and politics almost the whole time.

I worked there for almost a decade.
    Congrats!!!
    The pre honostly a really good ice breaker when I meet new people. Yeah it sounds silly for some people but it really is. I have met friends because all it took was "is that a pre?" or "what kind of phone is that?" its funny though a few people at work do the same thing... People I really don't talk to either. I also automatically hand them the phone to play with and answer any of their questions that they have. I made the mistake though of handing the pre to on of my co workers who would just not let me have it back after he made me late to start my shift. But anyways the rarity of the pre has helped me open up to people more and talk more. I used to just keep to myself at work.. Hell not anymore I talk to everyone I see pretty much.
    I absolutely love my Pre! I still use Blackberry from time to time - Blackberry's battery life remains unmatched. At a client's site recently, Pre allowed me to quickly load a page that the client was having difficulty in accessing. In other words, within seconds Pre saved our face (it wasn't our coding but client's ISP that needed attention for slow loading). Thanks, Palm!
    I'm the only one at my company who has a Pre... most of the others are Apple iPhone users, a few blackberry users, a few samsung, and some with other just phones. The iPhone by far is the biggest community here, however I've heard all of the negatives about the iPhone and since I was a Palm guy, I never made the switch, however I was pretty envious, but my Palm did most everything their iPhone did. So when the Pre came out, I waited till they were plenty available then got one. I am pretty satisfied with it however knowing the potential... well, I can't wait for all of the applications to start flowing. Most of my colleagues are interested in the Pre.. though I'm not sure they really care. When I can do things better than the iPhone... then they will be envious. It is a good ice breaker though.
    Nice story!
    No wonder why I am unemployed. I still use my iPhone. (desperately wants a Pre tho)
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    ha i work for a certain video game retailer, so needless to say 85% of everyone i work with has some kind of smartphone/mediaphone. i recently transferred to the store in the next town over, and what do you know, one of my supervisors has a pre, and boom, instant bonding. its funny how something as arbitrary as two people having the same phone can change them from coworkers to buddies.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12