1.    #1  
    I was going to make this myself, but then Med School started up and I have no time.

Anyway, catching a nap here and there is a big part of surviving school for me, and while setting an alarm is ok, it is a lot easier to set a count down timer for how long I want to nap for. So there is no need to think about what time it is now, what time to I have to set the alarm for, etc.

My home alarm clock has the feature and it is amazing. Only problem is it will only let you nap for up to 90 min (sometimes a 2 hour nap is a must) and, well, I don't do most of my napping at home.

So this is my request: an app that has a simple count down timer that lets you set whatever amount of time you want (hours and minutes, seconds probably aren't that useful) and when the time expires it sets off an alarm, similar to the one in the clock app. Having the 5 minute snooze function would be great to have too, and the ability to set the "ring-tone" of the alarm would be awesome.

I am sure I am not the only person who would like such an app. I would pay a buck or two for this type of app if it was in the app catalog now, so it may be a money maker. I suspect that this will be rather easy for some of you seasoned programmers out there to make.

Thanks in advance to any and all that make this app happen!
    Last edited by Complex Pants; 08/28/2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I was going to make this myself, but then Med School started up and I have no time.

Anyway, catching a nap here and there is a big part of surviving school for me, and while setting an alarm is ok, it is a lot easier to set a count down timer for how long I want to nap for. So there is no need to think about what time it is now, what time to I have to set the alarm for, etc.

My home alarm clock has the feature and it is amazing. Only problem is it will only let you nap for up to 90 min (sometimes a 2 hour nap is a must) and, well, I don't do most of my napping at home.

So this is my request: an app that has a simple count down timer that lets you set whatever amount of time you want (hours and minutes, seconds probably aren't that useful) and when the time expires it sets off an alarm, similar to the one in the clock app. Having the 5 minute snooze function would be great too have too, and the ability to set the "ring-tone" of the alarm.

I am sure I am not the only person who would like such an app. I would pay a buck or two for this type of app if it was in the app catalog now, so it may be a money maker. I suspect that this will be rather easy for some of you seasoned programmers out there to make.

Thanks in advance to any and all that make this app happen!
    No offense...and i'm just being a devil's advocate.....but its realy THAT difficult to figure out how long you want to nap for an apply an alarm?

I mean, its really no different than people who request a tip calculator when they have a normal one already I suppose.

God speed good man.
    Have you checked out this in the homebrew catalog?

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/stopwatch-timer
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    Have you checked out this in the homebrew catalog?

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/stopwatch-timer
    I have it in fact. However, when time is up it plays a noise for about 2 seconds, which is just not adequate for an alarm in my opinion.

And while I can set the alarm, I find it is more useful just to set how long you want to sleep for, rather then when you want to get up when it comes to naps. It is kind of like the quick contacts app. You don't really need it, it only saves a few seconds/minutes here and there, but it makes life a bit easier.
    I am a tutor and I use multiple timers constantly. Still using my Treo as a timer in fact!!

I use Palmary Clock on the treo and they assured me that they would be developing an app for WebOS. Hopefully sooner rather than later!!
    I have a Nap Timer in development. It is very robust and has a lot of features. However, it's strong point is its simplicity and setting your nap duration. I'll post some screenies in a few days when I polish up the UI a bit more.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I have a Nap Timer in development. It is very robust and has a lot of features. However, it's strong point is its simplicity and setting your nap duration. I'll post some screenies in a few days when I polish up the UI a bit more.

OMG! I love you!
    Thought I would let you know I am putting the finishing touches on "PowerNap", my Nap Timer app. It is a very powerful nap timer, so I think you'll enjoy it. Should be submitted to the App Catalog before the year's end!
    Developer of:

Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Thought I would let you know I am putting the finishing touches on "PowerNap", my Nap Timer app. It is a very powerful nap timer, so I think you'll enjoy it. Should be submitted to the App Catalog before the year's end!
    Do you know what the cost will be?
    Debating on either $0.99 or $1.99. It definitely has the feature set of a $1.99 app, but I am afraid people won't realize that from the screenshots and won't be willing to pay the $2 for it.
    Developer of:

12.    #12  
    I can't wait!
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    This should really just be a built in feature... Oh well, palm should get working on a video recorder first though... I'm excited about the app though...
    Hey everyone,

I just submitted PowerNap to the App Catalog! It will sell for $0.99. Here are some screenies...

I'll let everyone know when it is out on the app catalog for purchase. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Kev1000000; 01/04/2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Developer of:

that's sweet, man!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Nice app! You should add a feature to put the phone in airplane more or no calls, alerts, or vibrating while activated. Also should be able to play alarm anyway when ringer switch off feature, just like in clock app. Not sure if it has these features, just going by what I can see in the screen shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjay4046 View Post
    Nice app! You should add a feature to put the phone in airplane more or no calls, alerts, or vibrating while activated. Also should be able to play alarm anyway when ringer switch off feature, just like in clock app. Not sure if it has these features, just going by what I can see in the screen shots.
    I would LOVE to add your first two suggestions, but Palm doesn't give devs that ability. However, PowerNap WILL play audible alarms even though you have the ringer switched to silent.
    Last edited by Kev1000000; 01/04/2010 at 01:47 AM.
    Developer of:

The app is now under review, so it should just be a few more days.
    Developer of:

Just wanted to let you know PowerNap is now out on the App Catalog.

For any comments, questions or info, use this thread...
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nap-timer.html
    Developer of:

EasyDreams also provides this functionality!

http://17studios.com/easydreams/

EasyDreams: Nature Sounds, Nap Timer, White Noise & More.
    EasyDreams - Nature Sounds, White Noise & Nap Timer
    Follow us on twitter @easydreamsapp