Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadCircus View Post
    Not at all. Actually, most of the time I get so ahead of myself I don't even read the post before I reply.

Yes I read it. And again I ask the same question.
    I don't know what to say then because if you read what I wrote you didn't fully comprehend it. Palm said the app store will premier before the end of summer, that's Sept. 22nd. We know they were very specific about this because the question was begged at the last conference call as to how they defined the "end of summer." The analyst was jokingly told to "google it."

Secondly, companies LOVE to announce cool new things at their earnings conference calls. Are you not aware of this?

Thirdly, there is no better time to get the biggest bang for your new biggest thing than when you have all the eyes and ears of the Street, as well as most tech rags and blogs. Everyone will be listening to see what they say, if anything, about number of Pres sold in the quarter, what they're seeing in terms of future demand, what things they have in the pipeline, who they're doing deals with, the list goes on and on.

Last, but not least, what has Palm received the most criticism for? Lack of apps. There's no better way to show major progress on this front, and therefore a boost to the bottom line for investors, than showcase your new official app store.

Get it now? It's FREAKIN' PRIME TIME for ANY company. The curtain is drawn, the stage is lite and you want some loud applause.
    it's a phone... not worth fighting over the internet
    This signature for rent
    I imagine Palm's best bet is to fill and open the damn store ASAP, regardless of Wall Street dates; then maybe they'd have more sales to brag about.

A Finnish friend told me that back in the 90s, with Nokia losing market share for lack of new product, Nokia's CEO delayed a big new product launch for months to coincide with the scheduled earnings report. When news of the deliberate delay leaked, he was fired and disgraced. No point forsaking real money now to dangle the promise of possible future money later before investors.
    Quote Originally Posted by friedputty View Post
    I imagine Palm's best bet is to fill and open the damn store ASAP, regardless of Wall Street dates; then maybe they'd have more sales to brag about.
    A Finnish friend told me that back in the 90s, with Nokia losing market share for lack of new product, Nokia's CEO delayed a big new product launch for months to coincide with the scheduled earnings report. When news of the deliberate delay leaked, he was fired and disgraced. No point forsaking real money now to dangle the promise of possible future money later before investors.
    I mostly agree with this, but I could see them delaying for an extra few weeks to maximize their bang for the buck. However, I think it's more likely they'll be scrambling to meet the date, whatever it is, and probably will release the app catalog before they're entirely finished with it. After all, software is never finished. There's always another bug to squash or one more feature to implement.
    This thread is about a theory as to when the paid app catalog will be available.

Let's keep it to that.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I mostly agree with this, but I could see them delaying for an extra few weeks to maximize their bang for the buck. However, I think it's more likely they'll be scrambling to meet the date, whatever it is, and probably will release the app catalog before they're entirely finished with it. After all, software is never finished. There's always another bug to squash or one more feature to implement.
    Precisely. My bet is that they're using this as a deadline, especially having previously announced its debut before the end of summer. Their previous behavior and deadlines show they are trying to hurry up as much as they can while still maintaining some decent quality control.

Now combined with what I see on PreCentral's homepage about the new Palm phones showing up in inventory, I think there are going to be some MAJOR announcements made about their phone line-up as well. It should be an exciting conference call overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Now combined with what I see on PreCentral's homepage about the new Palm phones showing up in inventory, I think there are going to be some MAJOR announcements made about their phone line-up as well. It should be an exciting conference call overall.
    I think it's funny that you started this thread, almost immediately got boo'ed by that antiPres, and almost immediately had an attempt at hijacking it into yaihtpt (yet another I hate the Pre thread), and then the leak comes out about new devices that seem ti indicate you're right on the money about the general gist of announcements coming. I suspect you're right on the money about the approximate date of when the Apps Catalog will be opening as well.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think it's funny that you started this thread, almost immediately got boo'ed by that antiPres, and almost immediately had an attempt at hijacking it into yaihtpt (yet another I hate the Pre thread), and then the leak comes out about new devices that seem ti indicate you're right on the money about the general gist of announcements coming. I suspect you're right on the money about the approximate date of when the Apps Catalog will be opening as well.
    Thanks! Yeah, I was rather amazed at how quickly things digressed and even more so that it would even be a point of contention. It's the way of the business world.

In any case, I'm psyched and will probably establish a new short term trading position again. I still have my long term IRA position, as always. I think a few of the dismal analysts are going to get pwned. Not to mention, that China telecom possibility even if only hinted at...WOW.
    the 17th can't come fast enough.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminsky View Post
    the 17th can't come fast enough.
    Oh yeah, baby! And apparently we now have some kind of confirmation of that little mention in the Financial Times regarding China. It appears Palm really is in talks with China Telecom for the Pre and it comes from China Telecom, itself!

China Telecom in talks to offer Palm Pre

China Telecom is in talks with Palm about offering the Pre smartphone in China, intensifying the race between Chinese carriers to win 3G users by offering attractive handsets.

China Telecom is also talking with Palm about offering other handsets and is still in talks with Research In Motion (RIM) about offering a version of the BlackBerry, an investor relations representative said Friday.

China Telecom in talks to offer Palm Pre*( - Telecommunication - Consumer Electronics )
    And I couldn't help but notice this on the stock-side of things (options expiration week same as Palm earnings).

Options Update: Anticipating a Short-Term Surge for Palm, Inc. (PALM)

Option speculators have snatched up Palm, Inc. calls at a rapid-fire pace today, with intraday volume more than quadrupling the norm. More specifically, the smartphone sultan has already seen roughly 24,000 calls cross the tape, compared to its average intraday volume of fewer than 5,800 contracts.

Most active have been the stock's out-of-the-money September 15 and September 17 calls, which have each seen more than 11,200 contracts change hands so far today. Digging deeper into the data, it appears that the majority of this activity was related in the form of a long call spread on PALM.

Options Update: Anticipating a Short-Term Surge for Palm, Inc. (PALM)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12