Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was contemplating whether or not to buy the Palm Pre tommorow since my phone is broken.

I was just wondering whether everyone is satisfied with it, I do use e-mails alot and text alot. Does anyone have any tips for me or knowledge I need to know before I decide to buy it? Anything will be appreciated

Thank you!
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Well you're posting on a palm pre forum, so your answers will hardly be objectionable.

If you have the money, you're already on Sprint, and you're a "techy" then yes, by all means get the pre.

If you can't afford it, you're locked into a contract on another carrier, or all you'll do is text and talk, there's really no point.
    I say buy it. No questions asked.
    I text and email a lot. The phone works great. I do not browse the internet that much but it works just fine for me. If you are already with Sprint or can get away from another carrier without paying a termination fee, then I would do it. You won't regret it.
    I find it to be way overpriced, lacking many basic phone features, and is a lousy calendar/organizer device. $200 should buy you a lot of phone. If you do a search on the forums, you will find a quite a few posts of Feature Wish Lists. Check those out before you buy because you might be disappointed depending on your expectations of the Pre. I use a Treo 650 and was excited to purchase the Pre on launch day. Then after using it I was quickly disappointed and returned it only a few days later and went back to my old Treo. I may be back, but only if the Pre is substantially improved.

Heck you can get a new BlackBerry Curve for $50.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Much depends on what device you are coming from. The Pre easily handles threaded text messages and email is full html -- looks great. If you are coming from a feature phone then you will probably be blown away with the device. Pre's visual notification on the bottom of the screen is sweet; audible notifications (being able to customize) needs some work. I find the Pre's keyboard easy to use, though I would play with the demo model to make sure it is for you. I have had BB's, HTC's Touch Pro, Centro, and both the original iPhone and the 3G. For me the Pre is the best balance of size (feels great in the hand and is thin for a device with a real keyboard - I suck with virtual keyboards) and function. I am addicted to email more than texting and the Pre has worked out just fine. Go to the store and take your time going through the hardware. I personally do love the Pre - not perfect - but lovable nonetheless.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Do it! Give it a few days to get up and running. It takes a bit to get used to the gestures and navigation, but once you start multitasking, you'll have a hard time going back, IMHO. You will find some features that it lacks, but for me it's been a big plus. If you use gmail or can access your mail using IMAP, it will be a big plus for you. The only issue for texting is you can't forward texts easily. But Palm is well aware of all the missing features, and between them, 3rd party solutions, and homebrew, all the bases will be covered soon enough. At least everyone in this forum really HOPES so!
    The only thing the pre lacks right now, IMO at least, is a large array of apps. I have never really taken video with my phone before, so I guess I am not missing that much. But for me, the phone is great and the multitasking is incredible. Once you get used to it, it becomes hard to use other devices (I got so frustrated when playing with a friends iPod Touch).
    Yeah email (All notifications) is superb. Threaded text mssgs works great for my needs (I've never had the need to forward one).

Web browsing is superb. Jump on board and enjoy the upcoming updates. You gotta believe.

There are bugs (I've been vocal about them) but I chose to stick with my launch day Pre.
    I dont miss the iPhone one bit....love my Pre. Actually saved my monthy service charge also. GET IT.
    im just like you. im on the fence. i got one on release day and mine was defective. i took it back and did not get another.

i noticed the things that bugged me then (poor antenna reception and missing software) have not necessarily been fixed well.

i asked this same question at the beginning of the month but addressed to those who purchased within the last two weeks or so. seeing if the hardware issues had been fixed. i could not get good reception even with my airave, lost gps feature after 2 weeks, kept popping out of ev-do (my current mogul does not). the conclustion at that point was any one made after a certain date (around early july) was improved but not 100%, so there was still a gamble. not as much as on release day, but still this is an expensive piece of equipment.

software issues can be fixed but it is missing a lot of valuable stuff that you will miss and get a little frustrated you dont have. i am hoping the next update will fix a lot of that, we will have to see.

also the biggest RUMOR is the price is dropping soon, especially if numbers dont look good when they release profit report next month. again its just a RUMOR but......saving money is good! plus it will buy me more time to fix the little things

i would wait a little, maybe two weeks and see what happens........i am
    I'm like you Buzz- on the fence.

However, I think I am waiting for a non slider form factor. I have a centro and am starting to hate the keyboard, pining for the fuller treo - thinking of getting a 755p to hold me over.

There is a lot to like with the Pre - but I have been burned too many times with getting the latest-newest tech toy (thank you Palm).

Also, given that I have had a lot of palms, I am very concerned with build quality - too many of my old treos seemed to turn into crap after 6 months.
    Why not download the emulator and see if you like the apps first.
    If you're eligible for the upgrade or are new to Sprint you can try it for 30 days and if you don't like it you can return it.

I really wanted the TP2, but just can't justify the $350 price tag so I think I'm going to give the Pre a whirl.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I say go for it. I am not techy and yet my Pre does everything I need it to. The full sms and email IMO is very good. They, for the most part now have the build quality up to par , as my wife and I both have recent, newer builds and the phone feels solid. The web browser is fast and reliable, and with pocket mirror syncs seamlessly with outlook. I use mine for buisness and find it is very adequate for me. The phone is also fun just to pass time in those boring times. Apps are still being developed and I'm sure the app catelog will be exploding here in the near future. I don't think you would regret getting the Pre. Good luck
    I think you should buy it and buy it from here:

Palm Pre (Sprint) | LetsTalk.com

Palm Pre is $299 - $130 instant rebate = $169.99

$169.99 - $8.50 (use code Dtaker for 5% off) = $161.49

Then use Sprint mail in rebate for $100 back - REBATE HERE

Total is $61.49

They are including a free Palm Pre accessory bundle worth $34.99 which includes: Car Charger, Screen Protector, Bluetooth Headset and a Clear Case

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Well I was debating this aswell and decided to go ahead and buy it. The nightmare of getting a bad Pre you read about on the internet is indeed real.

I'm on my 3rd Pre and its the worst one ive had. I cant even hold it in my hand without the top part wobblying back and forth. 6-7 dead pixels on the screen. Uneven keyboard lightning.

Its a shame because this phone really is great. I'm going to keep returning them until I get a good one. If I get to 6-7 exchanged phones i might just cancel my service and go elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevodadevo View Post
    I think you should buy it and buy it from here:

Palm Pre (Sprint) | LetsTalk.com

Palm Pre is $299 - $130 instant rebate = $169.99

$169.99 - $8.50 (use code Dtaker for 5% off) = $161.49

Then use Sprint mail in rebate for $100 back - REBATE HERE

Total is $61.49

They are including a free Palm Pre accessory bundle worth $34.99 which includes: Car Charger, Screen Protector, Bluetooth Headset and a Clear Case

You only get that deal with a new line. It's not applicable to upgrades.
  19.    #19  
    Yeah, I'm definitely still thinking about it for today after work.

Let me get this straight though, I am eligible for an upgrade at sprint. I can buy it and return it within 30 days if I don't like it and get a full refund? Also I have a question about everyone's service reception. I live in CT anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hungarianpop09 View Post
    I was contemplating whether or not to buy the Palm Pre tommorow since my phone is broken.

I was just wondering whether everyone is satisfied with it, I do use e-mails alot and text alot. Does anyone have any tips for me or knowledge I need to know before I decide to buy it? Anything will be appreciated

Thank you!
    try it out for 30days risk free return it if you don't like it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast