Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. iclimb513's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    I have to agree with thunder although he could used a different tone in making his point. If you saw it take a picture or something, your words are just that words. Like with so many other post I've try to picture what's happening, give us a link or a picture. I would have found away to capture something tangible if its really as bad as you say.
    Also agree. Original Post = totally pointless and of no value.

    I also wonder how many people have created an OREO where there was none by reading these posts telling them to grab their phone and twiiiiist it. I bet anything there's people doing it all the time / with a lot of force.

    Mine had a very little bit, which I got rid of by bending the flanges back. I don't test it, because guess what? That would start it all over again. If I don't notice it during normal use, then AFIAC there is none.
  2. Tubal's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I went through 4 Pre's before I was happy with one (blotchy screens). I've obviously read about the "Oreo" affect with the slider. My Pre has always had a little bit of play in the slider but I suspected that people complaining about the wobble had it worse than I.

    I met somebody else with a Pre and I could not believe the amount of play in the slider. He said when the phone vibrates it rattles the slider. I feel pretty lucky now not to have one that is that bad.


    I can not believe Palm released a product with that type of hardware issue. I hope anyone with that problem has it resolved.
    Remind me never to sell/serve/teach/tell/show/read you ANYTHING.

    Some people are never satisfied. 5 pre's? WTF?????
  3. awrnsmn's Avatar
    Posts
    646 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #23  
    5...my God man!!!
  4. Shadnic's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    #24  
    Who the hell are you guys to rate someone's post as such a waste of your time that you can't believe you're even bothering to breath while looking at it. THIS IS A PALM PRE FORUM, anything palm pre can be discussed, this is why it is a discussion forum. Not everything is a helpful guide that will make your life easier. I enjoyed reading the OP's thread because it was well written, and spoke of a subject I had just recently encountered. I'm also quite interested in the magnitude of the oreo effect because it's such an odd slider defect and it's weird that palm didn't do something about the extreme cases.

    Either way, I don't mind typing this because I felt the OP was within his right posting what he posted, but to all of you that can't be bothered with anything other than the most top notch forum posts, then WHY DID YOU STICK AROUND TO POST IN THIS THREAD?!
  5.    #25  
    Yes....5 Pre's. I don't understand why you would expect me to be satisfied with a defective product. It's not my fault that it took 5 Pre's for me to receive one without a defect.

    And I never had an "Oreo" problem on any of those phones. That's the reason why I made the OP. I read about this "Oreo" problem for months but never really saw it.


    I saw it. I was surprised. I posted a thread.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    Yes....5 Pre's. I don't understand why you would expect me to be satisfied with a defective product. It's not my fault that it took 5 Pre's for me to receive one without a defect.

    And I never had an "Oreo" problem on any of those phones. That's the reason why I made the OP. I read about this "Oreo" problem for months but never really saw it.


    I saw it. I was surprised. I posted a thread.
    Based on a "blotchy screen"?

    Let me guess, you had a dead pixel and you cried for a replacement.
  7. #27  
    There are so many threads posting fixes with glue and hammering and many different complicated things but the solution is extremely simple and all you need is a small screwdriver.

    The fact is, the metal piece that goes up and down the slider (which you can easily see once you remove the battery) on the right side (when looking from the back) is set slightly higher than the track itself. To fix this you can simply place a tiny flathead screwdriver parallel to the slider and gently pry it upwards. You only have to do this at the very bottom of the metal rail, I've never seen considerably bad oreo effects with the Pre in open position. Even if you have a little movement, this will tighten it up like the airlock on a space shuttle. I've done this to mine and avoided having to take it back.

    Hope it helps.
  8. #28  
    Thanks for the tip, k4krunch.

    For those of you dumping on this thread; give the guy a break.
    Just call me Berd.
  9. drezilla's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #29  
  10. #30  
    Alright here we go, pix of the fix.



    The very bottom of the rail on the right side (when looking from the back) of the Pre. Position your Pre exactly like this, place the flat head of the screwdriver parallel to the rail, in between the rail and the black plastic shell.


    A better look


    Place the screwdriver like so. GENTLY pry backwards at a small angle, then just as gently pull upwards until you feel the metal start to lift a bit. Make sure you do not lift too hard as to totally bend the metal, just lift it.
  11. #31  
    I don't suppose you have pictures that are of higher resolution.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by phidalgo View Post
    Based on a "blotchy screen"?

    Let me guess, you had a dead pixel and you cried for a replacement.
    No, I never said anything about a dead pixel; I had a "blotchy screen"...or a "DEFECTIVE screen". I did not cry, I simply went back to where I bought the phone, showed them and got a new one.

    I love how you can determine whether my Pre was worthy of an exchange just by reading my post. I bet you'd feel different if you saw white blotches all over your screen right now.
    There is no spoon
  13. #33  
    Would be nice if higher res pics and are you messing with the rail itself or the tab that goes over the rail also?
  14. Ditdah's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #34  
    Having multiple phones doesn't automatically mean someone is being difficult.

    I'm on my third Pre, and am probably going to consider a 4th. None of them were returned because of slight oreo. The first one had really bad oreo, to the point that every time it moved it would cause the screen to freeze. (The Best Buy salesperson looked at it for less than 30 seconds and said "Ick! That's horrible!" and exchanged it.) The second one had a faulty proximity sensor (wouldn't vibrate when I did the Screen test, wouldn't turn screen off when holding phone to my ear.) My newest one has yellow spots on the bottom of the screen. One is growing larger every day, and it's hard for me to see things in that corner.

    I'm NOT a picky owner. I don't care if the screen has some play. My first two phones had issues that interfered with use of the phone. This one has BY FAR much more "oreo wiggle" than the first two, but since it's not causing the phone to not work, I don't care at all. But not being able to see the screen I DO care about.

    I love my Pre. I'd tell anyone to get one. And I know plenty of people who didn't have to exchange their phones and have no reason to. But just because someone does, it doesn't mean they're being obsessive or unreasonable. (I admit plenty of people are, but not everyone who returns a phone is.)
  15. D3on's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xel View Post
    Hello guys, i will be picking up a pre at bell store and i was wondering how can i check for so-called "oreo" effect and what is it at all?
    im still on my first pre phone i got when the pre first came out. if you take care of your phone you wont have to worry about some of the crap people are saying about there phones. if they know how to use it they might not have problems. same thing with my instinct still have the first phone when it came out had problems jus work through them. the pre is the best phone ive had so far. enjoy
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by D3on View Post
    im still on my first pre phone i got when the pre first came out. if you take care of your phone you wont have to worry about some of the crap people are saying about there phones. if they know how to use it they might not have problems. same thing with my instinct still have the first phone when it came out had problems jus work through them. the pre is the best phone ive had so far. enjoy

    Wrong. I am in the business and I can personally say the Pre (first batch) has a VERY poor build.

    I just recieved my own FIFTH replacement from FedEx yesterday, and it has the worst oreo effect Ive seen on any Pres (and I've handled alot). --took it to the sprint store yesterday and they are ordering me another. (this will be my 6th unit)

    So I see where this thread has merit. There are some very bad builds out there, straight from the manufacture. (first batch phones)
  17. #37  
    why couldnt they do this at the Palm factory.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    Alright here we go, pix of the fix.
    I second for a better picture if you can of the surgery needed. I want to be sure I'm doing this correctly and like a few said, the pictures came out looking fuzzy and on the orange side.

    But do appreciate the tips and pix for the fix!

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Wrong. I am in the business and I can personally say the Pre (first batch) has a VERY poor build.

    I just recieved my own FIFTH replacement from FedEx yesterday, and it has the worst oreo effect Ive seen on any Pres (and I've handled alot). --took it to the sprint store yesterday and they are ordering me another. (this will be my 6th unit)

    So I see where this thread has merit. There are some very bad builds out there, straight from the manufacture. (first batch phones)
    six phones?? dude thats ridiculous. i know what phone you need. its called a samsung m320
  20. #40  
    I am on my 4th phone. The first one I had 3 months, and mild wiggly slider, but didn't bother me at all. Then I noticed a small crack start from the USB port. Slowly it cracked over the screen. Got a replacement phone (refurb) with a broken volume button, huge gap and messed up slider and also the earpiece would only work when I squeezed the phone together. Got a replacement phone (refurb) on Sept 10th which they could not get to activate at the store. I was there 2 hours waiting for them to activate it. They gave me a new one out of a box, and it activated. But now it only works in 1x data and EVDO never ever is available.

    The 3rd phone I had for only 2 hours while at the store was a refurb with the shiny button and was super solid no slider issue at all. The new one (4th) was not a newer build and it has sort of a loose slider, but really I wouldn't care as long as the phone would just work! So, if they can't get the data on this phone to work, then I will be up to my 5th pre! Ridiculous if you ask me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions