1.    #1  
    Ok, so I argued today that Palm is missing out by not releasing and advertising (therefore capitalizing on) apps that maximize use of features that the iPhone DOESN'T HAVE.

Can we list, definitively what they are (or does someone have a link)? And what would happen if Precentral developers deliberately tried to incorporate as many as they could in USEFUL and GEEKTASTIC ways? What would happen? I don't want to be a ******bag making work for other people; just seeing if this logic resonates with the developer community...

I'll start the list. I'm not a developer, and am blissfully ignorant about the iPhone, so here goes...

- In-line notifications
    - Multitasking
    - Removable battery (probably not relevant here)
    - Apps can talk to eachother (is that one? like when Fandango talks to Calendar, which has big potential)
    - Physical keyboard (Again, not sure its relevant)
    - Copy/Paste? Well, sort of...
    - What else??
    I think a more appropriate approach would be to list software capabilities you want in the phone (either they're missing or not well done yet), then build a program to meet the need using the Pre's unique capabilities. Establishing software requirements based on device characteristics without considering needed capabilities seems bass-ackwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I think a more appropriate approach would be to list software capabilities you want in the phone (either they're missing or not well done yet), then build a program to meet the need using the Pre's unique capabilities. Establishing software requirements based on device characteristics without considering needed capabilities seems bass-ackwards.
    I completely agree. Especially when OP doesn't even know IPhone capabilities.
  4.    #4  
    Untidy: . I'm first in line for that app..

Kupe: I totally understand what you're saying. (I'm a business analyst). My point is that those Pre-unique feature sets are being underutilized from the perspective of showing off Pre/WebOS and the things no other mobile OS can currently do. Maybe if there's a list of them, and a challenge, it might spark some different ideas of how to approach a problem(s) in a way that the iPhone couldn't immediately imitate. They seem to be paying attention to the competitive advantages the Pre arrived on the scene with.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Well, neither Palm nor Sprint is highlighting Sprint Navigator. With no extra charges, navigation that works quite well, is integrated with the device contacts, pronounces road names, and has live traffic feeds with auto suggestions, you have a product that can compete with the high end GPS devices, for free. And combining Sprint Navigator with Pandora with the phone on the ready in your car is very close to device convergence nirvana.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    And IM messaging works the way it should on a device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    (I'm a business analyst).
    So am I! Nice to meet you..
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    Untidy: . I'm first in line for that app..

Kupe: I totally understand what you're saying. (I'm a business analyst). My point is that those Pre-unique feature sets are being underutilized from the perspective of showing off Pre/WebOS and the things no other mobile OS can currently do. Maybe if there's a list of them, and a challenge, it might spark some different ideas of how to approach a problem(s) in a way that the iPhone couldn't immediately imitate. They seem to be paying attention to the competitive advantages the Pre arrived on the scene with.
    Me thinks people first need to know that it is like the iphone in some ways especially the browser, capacitive touch interface, has an app store, and that its media capable. The appearance and seeing the kb is enough focus on differences initially.
  9.    #9  
    Soul: nice to meet you too!

cardfan: True. Lot's of people still don't know there's another phone with those features out there. I'm telling them as fast as I can. As has been said much lately, though, there doesn't seem to be much of a sense of urgency. And s219 in another thread explains that the level of access the beta SDK provides developers is "very limited," so developers couldn't necessarily utilize all those "pre-unique" features. I was disappointed to hear the SDK is that restrictive..