Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know headset mode problems are well known on these forums. I'm not posting this to report another headset problem but, rather, in hopes that it will help others get their phones replaced.

My problem: the phone is stuck in headset mode with no headset plugged in. However, if I squeeze the slider against the base (gently) at the top-left corner it will switch to the internal speaker. If I pull apart (gently) it will switch back to headset. So obviously this is a hardware problem.

Common solutions that did not help me:

• Blow air into the headset jack
    • Clean the headset jack
    • Use contact cleaner on headset jack
    • Plug and unplug the headset
    • "Wiggle" the headset
    • Reboot the phone
    • Turn off, remove battery, wait 20 mins or so, install battery, turn on
    • Remove all homebrews

This problem has become terribly frustrating (I can't complete a phone call without squeezing the phone together) so I took it to a Sprint store today (one with a repair center) and they are going to replace it under Palm's warranty (I don't have insurance).

FYI, I hope this helps some others.

P.S. I have a possibly related problem where the button to increase the volume does not work unless I press very firmly at the top of the button. If I press at the bottom of the button and actually turns the volume down. Basically it looks like something is way out of alignment.

P.P.S. This will be my third Pre, I replaced the first one because of the Oreo effect.
    it happened to me before and i did a full erase and it cameback
    i had the same problem on my pre and i posted that situation on everythingpre.com now ill put it here for everyone in pre central.

my pre was also stuck in headset mode and it would not work unless i had a headset attach to it, basically the way to fix it for me was to plug in and out the headset and also poke around the headphone jack of the pre. soon later i made a call to my voicemail and i heard the ugly voicemail lady voice on my pre ear piece rather than the headset. so really just poke around the headphone jack, this problem is solvable and really u dont need to go take it to sprint.

i highly suggest u do this first before you bring in your phone, i was afraid to swap mine out for a potential refurb when really there is nothing wrong with my pre.
    I got my first Pre replaced because the earpiece wasn't working, but speaker and headphones did... could have been stuck in headphone mode, or the earpiece could've died, I didn't wait to find out, I exchanged it, and haven't had an issue since.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    This has happened to me 3 times. Each time, if I call my voicemail with the headset it, and unplug WHILE ON A CALL it reverts to the internal speaker on the first try. Haven't seen anybody else mention this.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpre View Post
    This has happened to me 3 times. Each time, if I call my voicemail with the headset it, and unplug WHILE ON A CALL it reverts to the internal speaker on the first try. Haven't seen anybody else mention this.
    I concur. I just had this happen to me today and this fixed it immediately.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    this happened to my and running the systems tests repaired it. here's how to do it.

open up the launcher, go to the "device info" icon (all the way to the right)
    scroll down to the "more info" button and press it
    open up the "preferences" menu (top left corner)
    select "interactive tests"
    run the "audio" tests

hope that helps
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    i highly suggest u do this first before you bring in your phone, i was afraid to swap mine out for a potential refurb when really there is nothing wrong with my pre.
    Hi,

Try reading the post before you reply
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I had this issue and wasn't able to get any of the tricks above to work. Brought it into the Sprint store and they got me a new one.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpre View Post
    I just started to have this problem. I tried this approach (on a hunch, before I read about it here) and no joy. I'll read through some more posts to see if I can fix this myself without having to return my phone. I got mine on launch day and so far it's been great....hate to see it get retired at this point.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by link375 View Post
    this happened to my and running the systems tests repaired it. here's how to do it.

run the "audio" tests

hope that helps
    Unfortunately it didn't help. In fact, the interactive tests seemed to suggest that I have a problem with my stereo headset (i.e. I didn't hear anything during that test) even though I can hear through them using my phone and music player.
    I didn't realize this was a known bug till it happened to me. No one at Customer Service knew how to fix it and they wound up sending me a replacement. Much to my surprise it was a new Pre, not a refurb (##786#). I hated giving up my original unit. UGH!

run the "audio" tests

hope that helps
    I did this and nothing came out during the Phone part of it. SPeakerphone, headphones were all ok.

Looking into solutions now... pulling the battery didnt work.... now resetting in the middle of a video...

run the "audio" tests

hope that helps
    This was the solution for me. I'm guessing there's some sort of boolean operator in there that the phone didn't trip when I last removed my headphones from the jack. As a result, it thought there were headphones in there.

The interactive test for the headphones appears to be designed to validate the boolean operator associated with the headphone jack, as it just asked to have it plugged in and see if there was any response. Then remove it and see if there was any response. I marked "no" in both cases.

Then I called myself from teh office to verify the fix and it seems to be corrected now.

Now...what causes the operator not to trip? No idea. It could certainly be faulty hardware. It could also be a faulty pandora application that isn't interacting properly with the Pre's jack. I dunno. I don't really care, except that if this keeps happening Sprint is going to have a VERY unhappy customer on its hands. Not that they care.
    In general is Sprint exchanging Pre's under Palm's waranty with new or refurbs? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Do you need a reciept or original box to exchange?
    Ok just had this happen to me.... tried every "remedy" suggested on this site to no avail.

Took it to the Sprint store and the rep was able to do a swap out to a new unit since I've only had the pre for a week. He stated that they can do direct swaps for a new unit within 30 days.... after that it's $99, unless you have the replacement plan upon which they you get a refurb unit (or new if they're out of the refurbs). This phone seems so fragile compared to my Instinct that I might have to bite the bullet on the $7/mo replacement option.
    I had the exact same problem with a (refurbished) new replacement phone that sprint gave me on Wed 9/23/09...i took it to the sprint repair store and they replaced the headphone jack, problem solved!! Although I was pretty tee'd to get my new replacement just to have it be in headphone mode! Grrrr!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna00 View Post
    ...if I squeeze the slider against the base (gently) at the top-left corner it will switch to the internal speaker.
    I have the same problem, and this is the ONLY solution that can help me hear the other person out of my earpiece.

By the way, you do NOT need a Sprint warranty to have this problem corrected for free, assuming you are still within one year of your purchase date (which everyone still is, as of today). Go to this page for instructions on submitting for warranty repair by Palm.
    Last edited by BigMatza; 12/07/2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added warranty repair info
    just had this happened, and tried the headset jack while on voicemail move and it worked, all back to normal. i had to keep trying back and forth called voicemail like 5, 6 times till it fixed it. thanks!

also notice this started while i was trying to access my music through my surround sound reciever, dont know if that has anything to do with it, just thought i put it out anywways.
    what i did was i took a cotton swap, removed all the cotton on one side and rubbed the switch in there. The switch is located on the side closest to the screen on the left hand side 3/4 way down the jack. Let me know if this helps anyone else. Worked a charm for me. You'll notice the icon switch when you touch it, and you'll also feel it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast