Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Hey Pre Owners and welcome new candian onwers!!!

I just recently started having a issue with my power button not responding. I'll try to press it there is no reaction. It also feels solid when you press it, like its not supposed to be a button. Has anyone had these issues and did you figure out a fix? Let me know. You guys have been very helpful in the past.

Hopefully with Canadian owners we will get some hockey related homebrew apps!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    HockeyPre,

I had a similar power button issue last week, I brought it to a sprint store and the technician told me that I applied too much pressure on the power button and broke a little piece that is underneath it, he said that a simple tap is all that is needed for the power button function. He was able to fix the little piece underneath it so a replacement was not necessary. My other symptoms was that the screen kept powering on and off by itself and the power button presses would not work.
    Yea this is usually due to breaking the switch mechanism just take it Sprint and ask them to fix it.
    Mine, just broke as well. They told me to bring it in and they will repair it. I must add though that I already just tap the button. Hardware could be a little better. I have had my Pre since launch day and this is the 2nd know defect. I had the "oreo" that I was able to correct myself. I forgot the phone had a 12 month warranty. I was ready to make and insurance claim until they told me to just bring it in!

I love my Pre!
    I just had the same issue as well. I like my Pre a lot but I a have had it since day 1 and have had a couple of minor problems.

I took it in to a techniction and told him about the power button issue, the slide close battery issue and that my texts/emails have been coming in sometimes hours late!

I have been with Sprint 5+ years and the guy was cool, I am getting a new phone in a couple days. See if you can point out all of the flaws with your phone, show your displeasure and see what they can do. I have had to the phone 2 months, well past the 30 days and I am getting a new one. See what you can do!

Best of luck
    Ok, so I am at work and my wife is feeding me info from the Sprint store. My power button is broken (a hardware defect) but because I put a dab of super glue to correct the wobble of this cheap piece of plastic crap, it has now become and insurance claim. The girl at the store admitted that the glue had nothing to do with the button breaking but that they could not replace the phone. I understand where she is coming from but c'mon, lol. They can do whatever they want and we all know it.

Anyway, not a problem. This is my first attempt at even going back to the store because of a problem. They had better get ready, because if they think I going to spend $1000.00 on two pre's and all the accessories and not get perfection, they are in for a big surpise. I'll be down there everyday for the most minor of defects now! Let the war begin! HA HA HA HA HA!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    My power button got "solid" like the OP as well. It would work, but not very well. I got this one on launch day so its past its 30 days, but I have insurance on the phone. I brought it into the repair center immediately and they said that since it still worked, it was considered "cosmetic", I was like "ok, so I just have to wait until it doesn't work anymore?" and they were like "yep". So I went home a bit miffed. Then I slid the keyboard out and tried to turn it off and it wouldn't turn on after the screen timed out. I had to mash harder and harder just to get it to come on. Now it doesn't come on at all. I drove back up there and, of course, they were closed.

Tommorrow, I'm going in and telling them that their "cosmetic" problem forced me to have to hit the button harder to even turn the Pre on and THAT's why it doesn't work anymore. I NEVER smash that button. I'm super careful with all my phones, a bit phobic really. It just feels like a cheap design. I like the idea of how it works, but its just...cheaply built.

I'll update tommorrow on whuhappens.
    Its an easy fix...just pry off the button gently and put a tiny piece of rubber underneath the button to give it some spring and BOOM you're in business!

I used a small piece of balloon but you could just as easliy use a rubber band or similar improvisation.
    That's one reason these forums are such a help.

Why would I return a phone that I just permanently fixed in about 60 seconds? Don't make it more complicated, unless you like drama.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    That's one reason these forums are such a help.

Why would I return a phone that I just permanently fixed in about 60 seconds? Don't make it more complicated, unless you like drama.
    The point is though, if you are not abusing your phone, why 'repair' something that's broken when it shouldn't break in the first place? Palm needs to be held responsible for creating such an awful phone. If you don't return the phone because of the problem, there is no record of that problem. If a lot of people start doing these quick fixes themselves at home that they shouldn't have to do in the first place, then you are cheating new pre owners because if Palm gets enough complaints about something, they will (hopefully) fix the hardware issues in later manufactured units.

Just my thoughts. I switched to the Hero long ago.
    Excellent point, sir.

There's definitely a trade off on the do-it-yourself fixes in that case. I guess it all depends on the cost to benefit ratio. The bigger the issue the more it ought to be passed along to Palm.
    i have the same issue too.. again!!

this is my 2nd pre first problem the same as right now power button broke on me, i will try using a home made method if sprint were to tell me to use my insurance, which i rather ef a phone up in an attempt to fix it, if i mess up or does not work ill just call in a stolen pre. ill try to go to the sprint store tomorrow to see if my issue can be solved. im seriously thinking into the moment since it does not have a sleep button just a tap in the screen. but im to far in for a 30 day (got my 1st pre on launch and this second pre in july). however im still loving the webos not the hardware, but ill stick along to see what ces can offer, if other good phones coming out ill switch to another phone come july of next year.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I love my Pre but I am on my 3rd one.

The first one would not recieve calls at my office. I got a replacement which fixed the reception issue but all of my contacts were lost in the cloud. This turned out to be a blessing since the contacts desperately needed to be updated but it took hours.

The second Pre worked fine for many months until I dropped it and the power button quit. Sprint immediately replaced it no questions asked. My contacts were fine but I still had to spend a great deal of time redownloading homebrew apps, installing my theme, patches and moving all the icons to where I liked them. I did not lose contacts this time but still spent a great deal of time getting my Pre back like I wanted it.

So last night I dropped my 3rd Pre and again the power button failed. While I agree that the problem is with the hardware, I did not want to go through the hassle of getting another Pre. I found the rubberband solution. I tried it and it worked!
    I have a release date Pre that I have beat the crap out of. Dropped it many many times. My power button just stopped working. I took it to sprint, they popped a new button in it and five minutes later I was on my way. Yes, the design could have been better, but honestly this is the only problem I've had with this phone. Guess I've been lucky.. Kudos to the guys at Sprint for making it hassle free, double to all the developers and people here that help make this a great phone and help dummies like me enjoy it.

(I do wish it had been something more serious so they had to replace it. Then I would have a scratch and chip free screen. )
    I guess I'm just lucky. I haven't had any problems with my power button. fingers crossed
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Fixing the power button just like foosball said is actually really easy. I just did it and took some pictures. This is what I did:

1. Removed the back of the pre
    2. Took a very small flat head screwdriver (like one you would get in an eye glasses repair kit) and inserted it in the small notch show in picture 1, then pried gently as to to depress the little tab on the button.
    3. Once the button is partially out you can use the flat head to get under one of the sides then pop it completely off.
    4. Cut a small piece of electrical tape and lay it over the button as shown it picture 2.
    5. Reassemble and it should be much better.

It doesn't work as well as a new pre but at least it works.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE:

So my electrical tape fix only works for like three days then the tape starts to wander off the button and it stops working again. So I have come up with another fix which seems to be working really well.

The new fix is to put a small dab of hot glue on the middle piece of the plastic plunger, then while the glue is still hot wipe away almost all of it using a small flat head screwdriver. Try to leave only a very thin layer on the end. Experiment to find the right thickness for your Pre. Nice thing about it is if you mess up its only hot glue and you can pull it off with your fingers and try again.

Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (685.2 KB, 426 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (134.1 KB, 413 views)
    Last edited by yordikins; 01/21/2010 at 06:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by yordikins View Post
    Fixing the power button just like foosball said is actually really easy. I just did it and took some pictures. This is what I did:

1. Removed the back of the pre
    2. Took a very small flat head screwdriver (like one you would get in an eye glasses repair kit) and inserted it in the small notch show in picture 1, then pried gently as to to depress the little tab on the button.
    3. Once the button is partially out you can use the flat head to get under one of the sides then pop it completely off.
    4. Cut a small piece of electrical tape and lay it over the button as shown it picture 2.
    5. Reassemble and it should be much better.

It doesn't work as well as a new pre but at least it works.

Hope this helps.
    Great post
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by janto50 View Post
    HockeyPre,

I had a similar power button issue last week, I brought it to a sprint store and the technician told me that I applied too much pressure on the power button and broke a little piece that is underneath it, he said that a simple tap is all that is needed for the power button function. He was able to fix the little piece underneath it so a replacement was not necessary. My other symptoms was that the screen kept powering on and off by itself and the power button presses would not work.
    So there is hope!

A few days ago I was reading about someones power button not working and them having to turn their pre on with a headphone jack. And of course with my luck after reading that thread my power button stopped working THIS MORNING! (it was perfectly fine yesterday and last night)

Anyway, I think that may be what has happened to mine. It feels like its not a button but apart of the phone. Im still on my original Pre from the day it came out, I don't have insurance on my phone or have had any real physical problems with it until now. Do they charge to fix the power button?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
    Im still on my original Pre from the day it came out, I don't have insurance on my phone or have had any real physical problems with it until now. Do they charge to fix the power button?
    Hi kitten,

They should consider this a defect under warranty. Many of us simply used the phone normally and the power button seems to wear out in this way. Depending on your store (or what they think you know) sometimes they they'll give you a line about ordering a new phone for you. (That probably just their polite way of saying "the tech is not in today but we'll have them fix it when he gets a chance.") Call ahead and see if the tech will be in. In my case, when I had the problem, the tech told me she repaired it by slipping a thin sliver of plastic underneath the switch (where the electrical tape is shown in the photo earlier in this thread). Good Luck!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Thanks, I think I just needed to be reassured that It's not a big problem.
    Thanks SuperDoer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast