1.    #1  
    Why do some mobile sites (for example, Yahoo's mobile page and also m.engadget.com) appear small as if they did not register as mobile in the browser? It seems like pulling up a mobile site on a 22" monitor with high resolution settings. There are occasions when it displays properly and buttons images and text are well suited for an already small screen (iphone/pre). But most days I have to zoom just to read. How do I get them to display how they should everytime?

[fyi, it does this when on a wifi network and in the street (?)]
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    First, understand that the Pre's browser is NOT a "mobile" browser in the sense that it's unlike those found of (non-smart) phones. It doesn't do WAP, for example.

So, most sites appear the same on the Pre as they do on a desktop browser. That's good, except that things can appear tiny.

However, some sites were designed to work with smart-phones -- the iPhone in particular. Some work just fine, but others do not. There are differences between the iPhone's browser and the Pre's. In addition to small differences, some site developers explicitely look for an iPhone. If they don't see an iPhone, they assume you're on a desktop and give you that.

I posted about a specific aspect of this in: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...e-browser.html

It seems that the browser will put itself into a "mobile" (for lack of a better term) mode when you visit a site that actually recognize the Pre. Which is why a particular site may look great sometimes, but not others. Flip side is that if your Pre's browser gets into this particular mode, desktop sites may appear all scrunched up.
    I wish there was an option to switch between normal mode and optimized mode, like there is in Blazer on my Treo
    Unfortunately, this started with the iPhone's implementation with the WebKit browser (WebKit is also the basis for Pre's browser.) It was decided that it would provide the "full Web experience" rather than formatting for the device.

The Web site developer can (and should) put the following Meta tag in their code: <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width" />
    But, the problem is that's not something you can control.

The best thing I could recommend is Skweezer (Skweezer) or some other mobile proxy.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    I posted about a specific aspect of this in: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...e-browser.html

It seems that the browser will put itself into a "mobile" (for lack of a better term) mode when you visit a site that actually recognize the Pre. Which is why a particular site may look great sometimes, but not others. Flip side is that if your Pre's browser gets into this particular mode, desktop sites may appear all scrunched up.
    So I tried the instructions in the link and posted in that thread and although it worked, it still sucks that you have to do all of that to get the proper sized page layout when you can simply doubletap to at least get the width right or pinch zoom to read it. But what I don't get is that if you do those steps and go back to the page you tried to load in the first place, and it is formatted properly, isn't there something that registers on the Pre that tells it that it's a mobile page or iphone-esque browser (aka "mobile mode" as you put it)? I mean it DOES format correctly after doing some tricks... is there any possiblilty of a hack/homebrew app that can fix this or switch to/from this mode with a menu option or onscreen button or even a detector of some sort?