Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm thinking you may be a bit mistaken here. Isn't Palm experiencing business growth? It would seem so, since the introduction of the Treo Pro and the Pre...
    Compare the quarterly reports of all the big hardware/software companies. Apple just reported one of their best quarters ever while most of their competition was seeing declines, in many cases big ones.
    Last edited by s219; 08/31/2009 at 06:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I was interested in you choice of server side PHP/CSS/Javascript in your last iPhone project. What were you using CSS for on the server side? On great thing about web server code is you can use almost any language you want. I have generally used Java or C# and sometimes C++.
    It drives online high scores and player interactions for a game. The web app runs in a webView within the native app (the game). The native app tells the webView to load a URL which passes player and score info to the server as parameters. Server side, a PHP script interfaces with the database, re-sorts scores if needed, then serves a custom html/css/javascript web app back to the native app's webView. It works nicely, and I can even fire off javascript commands from the Obj-C code to the web app and receive the responses back in Obj-C. The player never knows they're running that web app -- it all looks integrated. The other nice thing is that the web app can be embedded into a regular web page -- say, the product page -- so that high scores and player rankings are visible outside the native app. It gives the appearance that that part of the app is running in the web page.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    It drives online high scores and player interactions for a game. The web app runs in a webView within the native app (the game). The native app tells the webView to load a URL which passes player and score info to the server as parameters. Server side, a PHP script interfaces with the database, re-sorts scores if needed, then serves a custom html/css/javascript web app back to the native app's webView. It works nicely, and I can even fire off javascript commands from the Obj-C code to the web app and receive the responses back in Obj-C. The player never knows they're running that web app -- it all looks integrated. The other nice thing is that the web app can be embedded into a regular web page -- say, the product page -- so that high scores and player rankings are visible outside the native app. It gives the appearance that that part of the app is running in the web page.
    Interesting, I figured there had to be some browser code in there given your technology choices. Presumably the webView has some way to marshal the calls between Objective-C and Javascript.
    Compare the quarterly reports of all the big hardware/software companies. Apple just reported one of their best quarters ever while most of their competition was seeing declines, in many cases big ones.
    That wasn't my question. Didn't Palm show a sales increase?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    That's a bit of a fallacious comparison considering Palm decided to entirely change its smart phone line-up, design and OS and start from scratch. The quarterly reports would be comparing apples to oranges...the new iPhone compared to the old Palms. Some in the channel Pres were accounted for in the last quarterly report and helped them beat the street's estimates by a big amount thus launching the stock to its thus far year high. The big loser here is Nokia, not Palm.

Palm is on a upward trajectory and Nokia is on the decline, and Motorola is near death unless they save themselves with a kick-**** Google phone.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    And, BTW, all the wailing, moaning, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments over having to wait a WHOLE three-and-a-half months for the official launch of the app store is incredibly sophomoric and supremely adolescent. Get a grip, people.

And while I'm at it, if their marketing was such a travesty, why is it that no other smart phone is mentioned in the same breath as the iPhone and RIM? Is the G1? Nope. Is the Nokia N97? Nope. Any Samsungs or Ericssons or HTCs or LGs? Nope. NoPE. NOPE. NOPE. Palm, despite all your misgivings about how they've "handled things," has cemented itself as part of THE trinity of the smart phone universe. You don't get that without doing something right.
    Ok here is the first post.. Im by no means a wizard of technology and or a designer of anything, but if you like the phone keep it, if you don't well exchange it or just don't by the darn thing. BTW you people are doing some amazing things on here that make the Pre stand out and makes it fun for people like me.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    That wasn't my question. Didn't Palm show a sales increase?
    I am not sure where you're trying to lead with the question about Palm (can't you look that up online?), but their revenue has been in steady decline for as far back as I can look at the quarterly records online (back into 2nd half of 2007). The net operating income has been negative (a loss) for the same period. I don't think we'll know how well they're doing until we see the next quarterly report on Sept 17.

The original theory I was debunking (posted by friedputty http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1855626) was that Apple was overpriced and catered to the high end of the market, which was bad in this economy. My reply was pointing out that they are one of the few hardware/software companies that are actually doing better in the current economy, because of their focus on the high end. They have 90% of the computer market above $1000. That is a huge reason why they are doing well. Meanwhile, the other computer makers are duking it out for the remaining 10% of the lucrative market, and they are in a bloodbath in the < $1000 end of the market where profit margins are thin. By focusing on the profitable part of the market, Apple has developed somewhat of a recession-proof strategy and it's paying off.
    Last edited by s219; 09/01/2009 at 08:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Interesting, I figured there had to be some browser code in there given your technology choices. Presumably the webView has some way to marshal the calls between Objective-C and Javascript.
    Obj-C can call the "stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString" method of a webView to send a javascript command, and receive the return value as an NSString. It opens up a lot of clever features for integration. One of my favorites is to have the server/PHP hide data in easy to parse tags within the HTML that's sent back to the webView; then I can retrieve it from Obj-C. It's good for basic types of authentication/verification, exchanging datestamps, etc.
    I am not sure where you're trying to lead with the question about Palm (can't you look that up online?), but their revenue has been in steady decline for as far back as I can look at the quarterly records online (back into 2nd half of 2007). The net operating income has been negative (a loss) for the same period. I don't think we'll know how well they're doing until we see the next quarterly report on Sept 17.

The original theory I was debunking (posted by friedputty http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1855626) was that Apple was overpriced and catered to the high end of the market, which was bad in this economy. My reply was pointing out that they are one of the few hardware/software companies that are actually doing better in the current economy, because of their focus on the high end. They have 90% of the computer market above $1000. That is a huge reason why they are doing well. Meanwhile, the other computer makers are duking it out for the remaining 10% of the lucrative market, and they are in a bloodbath in the < $1000 end of the market where profit margins are thin. By focusing on the profitable part of the market, Apple has developed somewhat of a recession-proof strategy and it's paying off.
    Where was trying to lead? Let's see... This is a form centered around the Palm Pre. You were posting a thread that claims that Palm has somehow blown a competitive advantage opportunity. Then you make a blanket statement that seems to imply that Palm is not experiencing growth.

I realize you want to come on and extol the benefits of Apple and the pitfalls of owning or developing on a Pre; but I don't think it's unreasonable to point out, given the above situation, that you are mistaken. Palm is also experiencing business growth.

Now, granted that wasn't hard to do, since (as you pointed out) their last few quarters have been pretty bad.

But the point remains, they did it was a new phone, that runs a new OS, that is new to the market. Seems to me that in spite of all the claims to the contrary by the "experts" on here, they're doing a pretty decent job at turning the company around.

But you know, it really was a pretty simple question, your ducking for cover was the only thing that made it complicated. I know it may go against your grain, but it's not that hard to admit that maybe Palm is doing something right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    And while I'm at it, if their marketing was such a travesty, why is it that no other smart phone is mentioned in the same breath as the iPhone and RIM? Is the G1? Nope. Is the Nokia N97? Nope. Any Samsungs or Ericssons or HTCs or LGs? Nope. NoPE. NOPE. NOPE. Palm, despite all your misgivings about how they've "handled things," has cemented itself as part of THE trinity of the smart phone universe. You don't get that without doing something right.
    I think Palm & Sprint's marketing of the Pre has been excellent. I am more concerned about some of the technical decisions they have made. There is a bit too much style over substance for my taste. I think the task switcher is very slick though.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Where was trying to lead? Let's see... This is a form centered around the Palm Pre. You were posting a thread that claims that Palm has somehow blown a competitive advantage opportunity. Then you make a blanket statement that seems to imply that Palm is not experiencing growth.

I realize you want to come on and extol the benefits of Apple and the pitfalls of owning or developing on a Pre; but I don't think it's unreasonable to point out, given the above situation, that you are mistaken. Palm is also experiencing business growth.

Now, granted that wasn't hard to do, since (as you pointed out) their last few quarters have been pretty bad.

But the point remains, they did it was a new phone, that runs a new OS, that is new to the market. Seems to me that in spite of all the claims to the contrary by the "experts" on here, they're doing a pretty decent job at turning the company around.

But you know, it really was a pretty simple question, your ducking for cover was the only thing that made it complicated. I know it may go against your grain, but it's not that hard to admit that maybe Palm is doing something right.

Like I said, I responded to incorrect info about Apple. There was nothing in my initial response about Palm. I wasn't even thinking about Palm at the time I wrote that response. I didn't say that Palm was or wasn't experiencing business growth. So don't put words in my mouth and then attempt to box me into a position I didn't make.

The original post said that Apple couldn't charge more for high-end devices in a bad economy, and I pointed out why that strategy was not only helping them weather the recession, but also making them successful. This has been well discussed by the financial press. By not attempting to compete solely on price, Apple insulates themselves from economic downturns more than companies who do compete on price.

BTW, I am not here to extol the virtues of Apple, but if someone posts blatantly incorrect/misguided information about any topic, including Apple, I will correct it. I realize that the prevailing attitude on this forum is that for Palm to win, Apple has to lose, or if Apple wins it's a loss for Palm. I happen to think Palm needs to win/lose on their own merits.
    Like I said, I responded to incorrect info about Apple. There was nothing in my initial response about Palm. I wasn't even thinking about Palm at the time I wrote that response. I didn't say that Palm was or wasn't experiencing business growth. So don't put words in my mouth and then attempt to box me into a position I didn't make.
    Thus my question, which you avoided in your response. If you don't want people making assumptions about what you mean, you might try a direct answer when they ask a direct question.

I realize that the prevailing attitude on this forum is that for Palm to win, Apple has to lose, or if Apple wins it's a loss for Palm. I happen to think Palm needs to win/lose on their own merits.
    That's certainly not my attitude. I don't pay much attention to Apple, since I don't own their computer, an iPhone, or even one of their audio devices.

I don't even go to their forums, to let folks know how little I care for their systems. Wild concept, huh?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234