Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    It is just a matter of time before the catalog explodes with apps. Think about it, what developer wouldn't want access to a hungry market? They know that most of us paid $199 for a phone, likely have some sort of Simply Everything plan....we are the right target market (educated, tech savvy and have money to spend).

    If I was a developer, I would be wanting to get on this new app catalog asap. Competition is less, yet the number of Pre owners is continually growing. If I create a new application for WebOS, I have less than 300 applications to compete with (including homebrew and app catalog - very rough estimate). Go to Apple, try competing with 65,000 apps.

    I have done Internet Marketing for the past couple of years and I have seen this happen with Apple. If you ever get a chance, go to Scriptlance.com or Elance.com and you'll see that people are having applications developed so they can simply plug them into an app catalog whether it be Blackberry, iPhone and soon WebOS. This is very lucrative for some people, they pay $1,000 to a developer and can easily recoup that at $.99 per download and it only takes 1,000 downloads to make your money back.

    The concept is if you are a good developer with a good idea, why not go to WebOS? If you have a great idea for an app, why not pay somebody to develop an app for you? My only hope is that developers and entrepreneurs develop high quality apps and not 64,000 crappy ones.

    Your thoughts...
  2. #2  
    Thanks Captain Obvious.
  3. #3  
    The developers are waiting for store access, which to this point Palm has been very stingy with, for some reason.
  4. #4  
    They already said store acces will be available middle of September
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAfter909 View Post
    Thanks Captain Obvious.
    Really? I didn't realize that Scriptlance and Elance had become common knowledge to everyone.

    Also, I noticed there were several negative posts about the lack of new apps or the quality of apps that have been released from Palm. The posts were full of foul language that the Admin had to edit them. My point to this post was to keep hope alive and maybe even encourage others here on this forum to come up with an idea and profit from it.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mfowler70 View Post
    The developers are waiting for store access, which to this point Palm has been very stingy with, for some reason.
    You mean properly preparing the store so people not too unlike yourself don't complain when payments get bungled or store just plain ol crashes?
  7. #7  
    I'm definitely planning on jumping onto the developer bandwagon when the store becomes open and available to the average joe.
  8. #8  
    I bet there are tons of apps developed already but no access to the catalig yet. I bet that when Palm officially opens the store, there should be a flood of new apps daily
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAfter909 View Post
    Thanks Captain Obvious.
    LOL!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAfter909 View Post
    Thanks Captain Obvious.
    ... did you read his post? It stands to reason that since Apple can't/doesn't license the Apps for use only on Iphone/Ipod Touch, that those developers would want to test out the waters on the Pre (webOS). Especially because you would be able to stand out.

    It's not like he said that mountains are tall, or that drinking lots of water makes you pee.
  11. nowise's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #11  
    IMHO it all depends on install base. It is less tempting to spend your time and money developing for a phone that has a few hundred thousand users compared to millions on iPhone and Blackberry.
  12. Shock's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo1 View Post
    This is very lucrative for some people, they pay $1,000 to a developer and can easily recoup that at $.99 per download and it only takes 1,000 downloads to make your money back.
    Actually, it would take 1011 downloads to make up that $1000
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nowise View Post
    IMHO it all depends on install base. It is less tempting to spend your time and money developing for a phone that has a few hundred thousand users compared to millions on iPhone and Blackberry.
    That all depends on cost of developement. Pre apps should be less expensive to create especially when you have thousands of potential beta testers right here on PreCentral.net.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    LOL!
    I did it for the LULZ.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Actually, it would take 1011 downloads to make up that $1000
    Well, to be TECHNICALLY correct, you would only get 70% of that $0.99, minus taxes. So

    1000 = ($0.99*.7 - $0.99*taxRate)*units

    units = 1000/($0.99*(.7-taxRate))
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's much more expensive/time consuming/difficult to develop an app for an entirely new platform than it is to develop an additional app for the same platform as you have been working on for the past year.
    I agree that it would be difficult to switch gears. I guess it all depends on how good you are at doing it.

    If I could port my app to another platform and keep costs down, I would do it. The biggest problem right now is that the Pre SDK does not provide enough tools to minimize the cost issue. It's kinda like porting over a HD game on XBOX or PS3 to Nintendo Wii.

    Would it be worth it? That's why businesses do a cost vs. benefit analysis before doing anything foolish.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    That all depends on cost of developement. Pre apps should be less expensive to create especially when you have thousands of potential beta testers right here on PreCentral.net.
    I am not sure that is true. PreCentral.net user are unlikely to cut anyones development costs. Existing mobile application developers coming from the iPhone won't be able to reuse their code or their Objective-C development skills. They may have to hire new developers to re-write there apps from scratch. That won't be less expensive than just sticking to the iPhone. The debugging support in the WebOS SDK is very primitive relative to other platforms. That could make apps more expensive to develop than other platforms.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I am not sure that is true. PreCentral.net user are unlikely to cut anyones development costs. Existing mobile application developers coming from the iPhone won't be able to reuse their code or their Objective-C development skills. They may have to hire new developers to re-write there apps from scratch. That won't be less expensive than just sticking to the iPhone. The debugging support in the WebOS SDK is very primitive relative to other platforms. That could make apps more expensive to develop than other platforms.
    We agree. Is it possible to keep costs down? Yes, but not until the SDK improves.

    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I agree that it would be difficult to switch gears. I guess it all depends on how good you are at doing it.

    If I could port my app to another platform and keep costs down, I would do it. The biggest problem right now is that the Pre SDK does not provide enough tools to minimize the cost issue. It's kinda like porting over a HD game on XBOX or PS3 to Nintendo Wii.

    Would it be worth it? That's why businesses do a cost vs. benefit analysis before doing anything foolish.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo1 View Post
    If I was a developer, I would be wanting to get on this new app catalog asap. Competition is less, yet the number of Pre owners is continually growing. If I create a new application for WebOS, I have less than 300 applications to compete with (including homebrew and app catalog - very rough estimate). Go to Apple, try competing with 65,000 apps.
    There are plenty of other alternative to developing for the iPhone, Windows Mobile and the Blackberry OS for example. However, it seems most developers would rather be one of the crowd of 65,000. Perhaps because the potential rewards are so high.
  20. #20  
    How many of the Homebrew apps do you all think will become official App catalog Apps?

    Which ones?

    I could see the following becoming App Catalog releases
    • DrPodder ( Prepod)
    • MyNotification
    • Quick Contacts
    • Gdial Pro
    • MediPDA
    • Goto
    • Units
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions