Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since a few days my Pre has a HORRIBLY annoying issue.
    After answering a phonecall I find the screen be switched off. And it STAYS off. It does seem to still be running. There's no way to get the screen back on except for rebooting the phone.

Has anyone else had this issue? And if so, does WebOS Doctor fix it or should I just have the phone replaced?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    After answering a phonecall I find the screen be switched off. And it STAYS off. It does seem to still be running. There's no way to get the screen back on except for rebooting the phone.

Has anyone else had this issue? And if so, does WebOS Doctor fix it or should I just have the phone replaced?
    I would first try to do a partial erase and see if it still has the problem. Next I would do a full erase and see it it continues to have the problem. Finally, I would use webOS Doctor and if it still has the problem, take it back and have it replaced.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    tapping the power button on top doesn't wake it up? If you have a lock pin set up on your Pre, sometimes it will "lock" while you're on the phone. You have to press the power button to wake it, then unlock it to be able to do anything.

Yours sounds like a different issue, but check to make sure whether it only happens during a lock. If not, then WebOS doctor should do the trick. Sounds like a software issue.
  4.    #4  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Ive found that while this is an issue if you unlock the device AS SOON AS YOU answer to the far right it says "unlock" then you can unlock then what I do is minimize the phone app then turn off the screen manually then im able to chat, then if a text or something comes thru I can then get to it without having to end the voicecall...so rule of thumb..MINIMIZE phone app when on voice call to RETAIN multi tasking capabilities.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    sounds like your proximity sensor is bad or not working correctly. Have you tried the systems test to confirm?
    device info>> more info>> hardware>> preferences>>Interactive tests>> Screen ....

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post

I'm having the same issues. This is my 3rd PRE and still the same problem. I'm really bummed, 'cause i can't rely on this phone and the battery life sux. It's a cool phone.. but the fact that it's so buggy really blows.

When i'm on a call and i go to hang-up i have a blank screen but when i listen the phone call is still on!!! the other day i was leaving a voice-mail and when i wanted to end the VM i couldn't .. so this person heard me for about 2-3 mins --in the elevator and walking into the toilet!!!!

i was jiggling the phone a bit to see if i could get it to come back on.. i did get flashes of the screen but then it died... for about 3hours. it came on by itself and is now working fine. i doubt it's a software issue.. looks like a hardware connection problem (i could be wrong)

I called PALM and they have no idea what it is nor are they trying to address the issue. Matter of fact, the agent/rep was pretty useless and feeding me pre-fabricated stuff from his cue-cards.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I had this problem at few time, but think it was related to the fact that I was using a hard case and I think the phone was still in "phone lock" mode that because of the case it sensing that I still had my face close to the phone. When I removed the case, the screen would come back on.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I have had the same issue a few times. Normally if I just leave the phone alone it will come back on after about a min. I think its a glitch with the proximity software/hardware. When you have the phone to your ear the screen shuts off and the bottons are disabled so you don't hit stuff with your face, it just seems that sometimes when your done with a call and you take it away from your face to hit the end key it just freezes up and the screen stays black. I have found that if you wait for the other party to hang up first then it works as it should. Unfortunately if your on the phone with voice mail your kinda screwed.
    Do you have the temporary transparent screen protector that came with your Pre still on the phone? If so, please remove it and try receiving a phone call or call someone (voicemail, etc).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  11.    #11  
    I have the screen protector on, yes, because I haven't gotten around getting an invisible shield yet.
    Thing is, this hasn't been a problem for months until last week.......
  12.    #12  
    Also, the test worked fine.
    DO you have a cover on the phone?...the day i bought my pre i ordered a plastic cover that clicks on the back and an additional piece for the front...seemed like a good idea...not so much as the companies that make the aftermarket cases didnt have the proper specs...so the version i had left a plastic piece that covered up the ear sensor (that blacks out the phone while talking)...so after it blacked out it woul dnot come back on unless i took the shell off and restarted the phone...threw that case in the trash
    same question i posted earlier..are you using a plastic cover?
    come to think of it.. i think i WAS using a clear plastic cover. it hasn't done it since. hmm.
    Ah... isn't the screen supposed to go off when you answer. It's designed to go off so you cheek doesn't touch the on screen buttons.

This has been talked about in other threads.

It's a feature not a bug. So you answer the phone and raise you arm to put the phone to your ear. The screen goes off.

Is this what you are all talking about?

If it is, it's suppose to do that.

And I believe if you need for the screen to go back on, to say switch to speaker phone, you just tap the power button.

Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 08/27/2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by funkdr View Post
    come to think of it.. i think i WAS using a clear plastic cover. it hasn't done it since. hmm.
    The plastic cover gets oily and dirty and begins to inhibit the proximity sensor. It happened to me and the plastic cover was the culprit. Never happened again and I've had my Pre since launch day.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I have a similar problem that is very annoying. When my phone rings the screen comes on and as soon as I touch it to answer the call the screen goes dark. I can't answer the call. All I can do is ignore the call and wait for my screen to come back on and then return the phone call. My dad has a Pre also and the problem is much worse on his phone.

Hopefully Palm is on it and a S/W fix is coming...
    as funkdr stated the plastic cover is problly all your issue. what happens when you open the dialer or phone app the proxcimity sensor is active. So then the clear plastic film that comes with pre starts pealing off after a couple uses. this throws off the proxcimity sensor and you phone sceen will start flashing on off and so on. this doesnt happen with the aftermarket screen protectors.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Man mine is doing the same thing as of today.. Talk about crappy device, everything is working great up till today when the device now wont hang up due to this. I have to keep taking the battery out. Ughhh..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast