Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just surfed through the comments and seen this
    First one in town !

WebOS version -> 1.1.0 Build 83
    Config -> Bell 1.1

i think i will skip my day to be able to play with it haha
    So? Am I missing something here? Or do we not have a "Build 83"?? Or do we?
    Our build is 143, or atleast thats what my build says.
    I am also at build 143. And I have had mine since day one. I wonder what the build number means...
  4.    #4  
    Yea I have 143 also, I wonder why we are ahead? Or whats going on? This isn't really GOOD news. I was hoping to see a higher build on the Bell, hoping that we could get that update soon.

Does it make sense that we are all on different builds?
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    maybe it reflects the fact that Bell users have different stock apps??

i.e. I doubt Bell users have SPRINT navigation. Also, do they have the NFL app?
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post

I'm assuming they have a CFL app.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    I bet there will be a NHL app.
    And a Tim Horton's locator.
    Although it seems there's a Tim's everywhere in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    Not necessarily, we have the NFL app because of Sprint's agreement with the NFL not anything to do with Palm. Same with the Nascar app. Also Sprint has an agreement with Telenav which is why we have Sprint Navigation, which is just a sprint branded version of the telenav software that you can pay $10 a month for everywhere else.
    Typically a build is a simple counter. Each time the source code is compiled, the build number increases by one. This has nothing at all to do with hardware.

Most likely, Palm has branched the WebOS source code repository for a Bell version of WebOS. If this is the case, build 83 likely means that this is the 83rd time that the source code was built in the Bell branch of WebOS. It really tells us nothing about what's in each branch (Sprint WebOS vs. Bell). Except for included apps (NFL, NASCAR, etc.) the branches may be otherwise identical. In fact, source code is a nightmare to maintain across branches even with minimal differences so I wouldn't be surprised if that's about all that's different.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Typically a build is a simple counter. Each time the source code is compiled, the build number increases by one. This has nothing at all to do with hardware.

Most likely, Palm has branched the WebOS source code repository for a Bell version of WebOS. If this is the case, build 83 likely means that this is the 83rd time that the source code was built in the Bell branch of WebOS. It really tells us nothing about what's in each branch (Sprint WebOS vs. Bell). Except for included apps (NFL, NASCAR, etc.) the branches may be otherwise identical. In fact, source code is a nightmare to maintain across branches even with minimal differences so I wouldn't be surprised if that's about all that's different.
    If this is true, I think that's a bad thing. And managing multiple branches by build number would be a bad way to do it. I hope that the build number is a build of WebOS1.1 with the Bell configuration rather than just the WebOS part. If they start branching WebOS for different carriers, they have no hope of keeping up with maintenance of this puppy. Managing things separately with an OS core and an extra package that includes configuration items for separate carriers seems like a much, much better way to go. I really hope that's what they're doing.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    jbg7474, I think all he was trying to say is that is a build of WebOs without the same apps, being as Sprint has the right to the NFL, Nascar, and Sprint Navigation apps not Palm. They of course will have to have different builds for different carriers. This is no different than HTC with their Windows Mobile devices. The only difference would be included apps.
    So, I guess the different builds could accomodate for Network frequencies also. I dont know if they run on the same channels we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    jbg7474, I think all he was trying to say is that is a build of WebOs without the same apps, being as Sprint has the right to the NFL, Nascar, and Sprint Navigation apps not Palm. They of course will have to have different builds for different carriers. This is no different than HTC with their Windows Mobile devices. The only difference would be included apps.
    Forgive me, but I would very much like it to be different from the way HTC manages Windows Mobile devices. Ideally, the code that exists at Palm is in two buckets: WebOS and carrier specific configurations. I hope dearly that every WebOS device ever developed has the same WebOS on it, assuming that it's updated. I want the core of WebOS to be managed in a single configuration so that Palm doesn't have to worry about slightly different configurations of the mail app, for instance, for Sprint vs. Bell vs. Verizon (eventually). That would be a huge headache.

Instead of the huge headache, managing everything in WebOS, and then in separate carrier configurations makes it all clean. It's much less wasted effort for developers. The carrier configs need to be separate.

Yes, the build number may very well be the particular combination of WebOS with the carrier configuration, and I hope that it is. I'm not trying to be alarmist here. I'm just saying that what Ronlongo suggested, that WebOS itself is branched, would be a disaster for the future of WebOS. Okay, perhaps that's a bit alarmist. I guess I feel it's worthy of an alarm.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The core Windows Mobile on HTC devices would be the same. The problem is on those devices you get two version numbers. One to denote the Windows Mobile Build which is the core OS you're worried about and one to denote the Rom Version, which is the build for that specific device on that specific carrier. For all we know their build number is just saying this is the build for the Pre that goes to bell, and the core underpinnings of the OS are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post

I had a phone with Bell 3 years ago for when I traveled to Toronto, and they did have a version, of what was then, TeleNav.. Same as Sprint's. Actually the phone had ALL of Sprint's features.
    I'd say there's almost definitely not a separate version of webOS for Bell, or if there is, that'll be fixed in the near future.

Looking at the Sprint webOS doctor, there's basically two archives inside. One is the root Pre file system, and the other is a bunch of Sprint customization ipkgs. Basically it flashes your Pre to the file system, and then installs the Sprint packages entirely separately. Bell's version probably does the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I bet there will be a NHL app.
    Hahahahahahaha.........the Tim Horton's line made me laugh!!

It's like your Dunkin Doughnuts (or is it Donuts)??

I'm thinking about putting together an Igloo app......somethng to help me find my friends place on those cold winter days. ROFLMAO!!!
    I'd extremely appreciate it if someone with a Bell Pre could use WebOS Quick Install, and go to the Device Management panel and post all the listed Device Info. It'll give a deeper look at the formware, carrier customization and OS build itself

OMG I'm sooooo gonna make that app!
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/27/2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Tim Horton's locator.
    I haven't heard that name since my 6 month stay in Buffalo, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'd extremely appreciate it if someone with a Bell Pre could use WebOS Quick Install, and go to the Device Management panel and post all the listed Device Info. It'll give a deeper look at the formware, carrier customization and OS build itself

OMG I'm sooooo gonna make that app!
    Scene one: Look Left, with a button at the bottom "See Tim Hortons?" Yes/No

If no, Scene two: Look right.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast