1.    #1  
    This from MacRumors.com

Palm Desktop - The iSync PalmOS plugin is broken. Cannot synch with Addressbook and iCal anymore. Not sure if still broken, but almost certainly so.
    Is this from people trying to use it with the Palm Pre? If so, that's the most ADD way of going about backing up their phone ever.. Using the Palm Pre with the Palm Desktop (which isn't even supposed to be for the Pre) on the Mac (which I've head doesn't play well with Palm Desktop sometimes anyway).

That's like taking a toothbrush, adding oil to it, then brushing the grime off your shoes and complaining because it isn't cleaning your teeth.
  3.    #3  
    Im not even sure if it works with the Pre. However, most of the users here either have a Palm that this will work with or know others that this may be affected by.

Its just an FYI bulletin
    Whats a better way to backup to a mac? Still trying to figure that out...
    The article clearly stated Snow Leopard's iSync no longer supports PalmOS. Not much to do with the Pre.
  6.    #6  
    Indeed. I posted this because there are still treo users here and the fact that Apple crippled it.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Apple didn't cripple it. The problem is that Palm never supported it.

==

O’Grady’s PowerPage – Your Mobile Technology Destination Apple Strips Palm OS HotSync Conduit from Upcoming Mac OS X 10.6 Release

Palm apparently never bothered to update its Palm Desktop for Mac software to make it compatible with Apple’s iSync. Instead, Apple, in an effort to keep Macs compatible with Palm’s device, created its own Palm Conduit software that linked Palm Desktop’s HotSync system into iSync. This software was then incorporated as part of iSync 2.0, released as part of Mac OS X Tiger nearly half a decade ago.

With Palm all but abandoning its “classic” devices developed prior to the release of the new Palm Pre, which does not use the same legacy Palm OS nor its HotSync or Palm Desktop software, the value of maintaining HotSync support in Mac OS X has dropped dramatically, leaving Apple to cut the support from the version that ships with Mac OS X Snow Leopard entirely.

==

Palm can write their own conduit for iSync any time they want, like other third party companies have done. It's not Apple's burden. They just happened to carry the ball 5 years back when Palm wasn't supporting Mac OS X at all.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Technically you can't blame Palm either - Palm Desktop is maintained by PalmSource/ACCESS, not Palm. Those lazy bums have allowed PD to slide further and further into uselessness, so don't expect them to change that anytime soon.
    So does this mean that we cannot backup our contacts, etc. to MACs? (Sorry, I tried to follow this thread and that's what seems to be the consensus.)

If some day I wake up and my Pre has "died" and somehow all that info is inaccessible, what do I do? Is there another way (easy, I hope) of backing up so I don't have to start all over?

p.s. At least, with my other Sprint phones I was able to back contacts, photos, etc. up to their system. But, I guess, since this is Palm phone, Sprint does not make this support available (??).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Hom View Post
    So does this mean that we cannot backup our contacts, etc. to MACs? (Sorry, I tried to follow this thread and that's what seems to be the consensus.)

If some day I wake up and my Pre has "died" and somehow all that info is inaccessible, what do I do? Is there another way (easy, I hope) of backing up so I don't have to start all over?

p.s. At least, with my other Sprint phones I was able to back contacts, photos, etc. up to their system. But, I guess, since this is Palm phone, Sprint does not make this support available (??).
    This is unrelated to your pre. And is incidentally in the wrong place.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.