1.    #1  
    I assume this has been discussed but I did a quick search and found nothing. What is the fastest way to charge this phone. Conventional wisdom told us that the car charger, with the phone turned off was the fastest. I'm curious if anyone has seen any stats on the Pre. We can charge it with the phone turned on/off and can use the USB plugged into a pc, the Touchstone or phone plugged directly into the wall (with the cord). I'm waiting for the extended battery back that works with the Pre, in the meantime I have to charge my phone constantly and would like to know how to do it the fastest.
    Touchstone is about half as fast as a direct AC connection. USB on a PC will depend on the voltage so it will also be very slow. Same holds true for your car adapter it will depend on how much juice its getting, they are not all created equally but should be faster than touchstone and USB.

In my experience the Direct AC connection is the fastest and I don't believe the phone will charge when shut off as I think it just turns right back on but I haven't tried that particular set up.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info. My assumption was the direct ac connection was the fastest as well. It does charge while off, but I'm not sure if it is much faster than when on. Would be nice if it would atleast give you a "charging" light while off so people know it's working.
    When I charge my phone using the computer or the car adapter, it takes anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to get fully charged. When I have it plugged into the wall, I get a full charge anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Charging the phone through the AC adapter is definitely the quickest.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Mine seems to charge pretty quickly on the TouchStone, attached to AC. The Sprint branded car charger works well too.

I tried to charge using a cheap USB cord to my laptop. It was labeled as compatible to the Pre. After 12 hours, my Pre was not full!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Not through Car Charger, Computer USB or Touchstone for me. I get my best charge off the included charger and even that takes a while.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I charge my Pre by removal of the battery and insertion into an external battery charger. This way the phone doesn't eat up any power so charging is really the fastest via AC current.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    My experience matches Aridon's. Between Sprint car charger
    and wall charger, the latter beats it by about 2 to 1.
    Putting the phone in airplane mode will put it in a pretty low
    power consumption mode, so wall charger + airplane mode
    should be the fastest.

ian
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    My experience matches Aridon's. Between Sprint car charger
    and wall charger, the latter beats it by about 2 to 1.
    Putting the phone in airplane mode will put it in a pretty low
    power consumption mode, so wall charger + airplane mode
    should be the fastest.

ian
    Well I know the Pre charges while off...so is it faster than with it in airplane mode (wall charger)?
    Quote Originally Posted by ujsc View Post
    I charge my Pre by removal of the battery and insertion into an external battery charger. This way the phone doesn't eat up any power so charging is really the fastest via AC current.
    I just got an external charger (Yiboyuan) and it did not work. Everything is in Chinese. Any suggestions? I put in the battery and plugged it in, but it did not charge.
    Laissez Faire
    I use my Phone 24/7 for both business and personal. I charge the phone, while on, via Touchstone at night & change the battery after I come home from work. I have an extra battery charging during the day in an external charger that I purchased from Palm. It's actually the Palm Centro external charger (that also works with the Pre). I love the external charger. I always have a spare battery charged and ready. This is actually the fastest method I have found.