Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see alot of threads about homebrew app's.I was courious if they are safe to use since i dont know much about the pre yet and what are the best ones to get.
    I highly recommend homebrew, it MAKES the pre. I recommend polar bowling for fun. checkbook for function. and music remix for a better music player. Also don't forget filecoaster, because once you have that, all your installations/updates will be done through the pre itself. Its like a homebrew app catalog.

In short, it is WAY worth the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakinghbts View Post
    I highly recommend homebrew, it MAKES the pre. I recommend polar bowling for fun. checkbook for function. and music remix for a better music player. Also don't forget filecoaster, because once you have that, all your installations/updates will be done through the pre itself. Its like a homebrew app catalog.

In short, it is WAY worth the effort.
    yep. The dude is exactly right, welcome to the fold.
    Homebrew has been wonderful for me.

Click the button and follow the instructions. You will never look back.

160 Apps. All free. No waiting.

It's what the Pre should have been.

Don't miss the tweaks you can make from webOS Quick Install.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    is a wooden nickel safe?
    The homebrew apps have really add to the Pre.
    Go for it, add some homebrew apps..you wont regret it.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Though officially classed as betas, I have yet to encounter a problem with a Homebrew app (and I've installed dozens of them). They add much needed functionality and many of them are just plain fun.

Each Homebrew app has its own thread in the Homebrew section of the forum so you can see how it was developed and read feedback from those who have installed it. I don't think you can go wrong.
    It has been great for me. Its amazing
    I just "brew"ted my pre and its going great!...no worries at all its totally simple to do...i understand your apprehension nobody wants to brick their phone but the homebrew guys have made it a painless operation....go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Homebrew has been wonderful for me.

Click the button and follow the instructions. You will never look back.

160 Apps. All free. No waiting.

It's what the Pre should have been.

Don't miss the tweaks you can make from webOS Quick Install.

- Craig
    What do you mean, "What the Pre should have been"? It's what the Pre IS!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmrogue View Post
    I see alot of threads about homebrew app's.I was courious if they are safe to use since i dont know much about the pre yet and what are the best ones to get.
    Homebrew is not safe. It will steal all of your free time playing the games available. It will stop you from using your PC for listening to PodCasts, Tracking Packages, Adding Movies to Netflix.

No. Homebrew makes you use your Pre too much. Stay away... Just kidding.

Install away. Have fun. All the cool kids are doing it.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    One day after downloading a dozen or so homebrew apps, my camera app stopped working. Still can't get it working, even after returning the phone to factory settings.

There might be a good reason why developers have to jump through some hoops to get placed into the official App store.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralViscen View Post
    One day after downloading a dozen or so homebrew apps, my camera app stopped working. Still can't get it working, even after returning the phone to factory settings.

There might be a good reason why developers have to jump through some hoops to get placed into the official App store.
    Given the amount of people on here who endorse Homebrew, it sounds to me like you are the exception to the rule and/or that Homebrew has nothing to do with your camera not working.
    You're right, having a fully functional feature of my phone completely cracking up within hours of downloading this stuff must be an astounding coincidence.
    Homebrew Apps will fail on their own without messing with your phone, unless you root your Pre to use a Homebrew App. Then there is a potential of killing your phone, yet highly unlikely.
    Any app that references any existing data on the phone has the potential to muck something up.

And you equate this to homebrew? Sounds to me like your phone is faulty, otherwise, everyone would be complaining of this. Are you just not technically inclined or what?
    I didn't say it would happen to everyone, I said that it is a risk that is present that new users should be informed of.

Are you technically inclined? After 3 months of working fine a particular app craps out the same day I download a few homebrew apps? Then works again after I delete them? Then stops working, permanently, when I try downloading them again at the encouragement of this forum?

I don't see why someone who was technically inclined would rule out the possibility of something going wrong, when you are downloading pieces of software that actively reach out and retrieve information from other pieces of software.

I don't know why so many members of this forum feel the need to hyperventilate and insult other users who are simply giving an honest answer to a question. Can homebrew potentially cause a problem for you? Yes, it can.
    I didn't say it would happen to everyone, I said that it is a risk that is present that new users should be informed of.

Are you technically inclined? After 3 months of working fine a particular app craps out the same day I download a few homebrew apps? Then works again after I delete them? Then stops working, permanently, when I try downloading them again at the encouragement of this forum?

I don't see why someone who was technically inclined would rule out the possibility of something going wrong, when you are downloading pieces of software that actively reach out and retrieve information from other pieces of software.

I don't know why so many members of this forum feel the need to hyperventilate and insult other users who are simply giving an honest answer to a question. Can homebrew potentially cause a problem for you? Yes, it can.
    The reason I asked if you were technically inclined is because its obvious to me you don't understand how homebrew apps install themselves. The apps don't install themselves into the OS, they install themselves into /var/usr/palm/applications, which is a writable area that doesn't effect the OS in the slightest bit. The Camera app is in /usr/palm/applications, which is not writeable without rooting and remounting rewritable. The fact that your camera went out is unfortunate, but it has nothing to do with applications that install themselves in /var/usr/palm/applications, otherwise even official apps would run this risk, because they install to the same place. Can homebrew potentially cause problems? Technically, yes, if you root your phone, remount it rewritable, and force them to install to the wrong place. Can homebrew cause problems if you install via filecoaster or preload or webos quick installer? Hell no, it was just a coincidence, otherwise your camera would work after you uninstalled it yet again. Considering your camera STILL doesn't work after running the WebOS doctor, how can you possibly justify blaming your issue on homebrew?
    Quote Originally Posted by tmrogue View Post
    i hombrew
    my pre is still working
    good for me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast