Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My biggest concern with homebrew apps, is the security/safety of any login/psswds we might haev to enter in order for the hombrew app to work. For example, the QuickQue/Netflix app requires you to enter your Netflix login/pssswd. How do we know that that information is not being sent to the creator of that app. Another example would be any of the Google Voice apps. Is our gmail login/psswd safe from prying eyes?

Don't get me wrong. I love the homebew apps that are out there. They have truely made this phone more functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    My biggest concern with homebrew apps, is the security/safety of any login/psswds we might haev to enter in order for the hombrew app to work. For example, the QuickQue/Netflix app requires you to enter your Netflix login/pssswd. How do we know that that information is not being sent to the creator of that app. Another example would be any of the Google Voice apps. Is our gmail login/psswd safe from prying eyes?

Don't get me wrong. I love the homebew apps that are out there. They have truely made this phone more functional.
    Guess thats a leap of faith you have to take. I don't use any apps that require me to enter any of my info TBH, so I've never really thought of that, but I'd assume if that were the case, it'd be pretty easy to pick up on... Would have to be a pretty crooked developer to come on here and do that.
    The answer is absolutely. As someone else said above, "Homebrew makes the Pre." I am a Pre nutjob, but I'll be honest, without Homebrew I think I'd be somewhat disappointed with my Pre experience after the wonderful job Palm did releasing this device.

Bravo to all homebrew app developers out there. You guys deserve much love and respect. My phone experience has been sustained due to you, and the WebOS that enabled all this homebrew goodness..

I hope Palm accelerates the app release process. I see WAYYY too much lackluster Pre news on tech sites post-launch. It makes me sad.

..and not only should they be trying to release APPS, but APPS that take advantage of the capabilities that the PRE/WEBOS combo can deliver that iphone CAN'T deliver. They could advertise these competitive advantages and take them to the BANK!!!!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    going along the themes of this thread, i have a question: I understand from reading the forums you have to delete all homebrew applications after every palm update. how easy and safe is it to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    The answer is absolutely. As someone else said above, "Homebrew makes the Pre." I am a Pre nutjob, but I'll be honest, without Homebrew I think I'd be somewhat disappointed with my Pre experience after the wonderful job Palm did releasing this device.

Bravo to all homebrew app developers out there. You guys deserve much love and respect. My phone experience has been sustained due to you, and the WebOS that enabled all this homebrew goodness..
    Indeed. these guys deserve a huge round of applause.

I hope Palm accelerates the app release process. I see WAYYY too much lackluster Pre news on tech sites post-launch. It makes me sad.

..and not only should they be trying to release APPS, but APPS that take advantage of the capabilities that the PRE/WEBOS combo can deliver that iphone CAN'T deliver. They could advertise these competitive advantages and take them to the BANK!!!!
    Alas, there's nothing to advertise. I'm trying not prejudge before the App Catalog is officially up and running, but Palm REALLY needs to get on making sure developers are leveraging every part of WebOS they can, especially the fact that WebOS has the best notification system on a mobile operating system right now.

Aside from texts, email, and Pandora, I have nothing on my Pre that uses notifications, so multitasking still has a long way to go to reach its full potential. Without this differentiation, apps on the Pre - AT BEST - can only be as good as the same app on iPhone and Android, and at times it's much worse (e.g. Google Maps). That's not going to help Palm make a mark in this crowded smartphone space. But I am hopeful, both for myself and for Palm's survival.
    Homebrew is great....I decided to try the Pre for 30 days and return if I don't like it. But Homebrew really influenced my decision to keep it.
    mikah912: So is there a definitive list of functionality that the Pre has that the iPhone doesn't? Let's see, there's: notifications, multitasking, removable battery (not really relevant), apps can talk to eachother (is that one? like when Fandango talks to Calendar), physical keyboard (not sure how apps would take advantage of this), what else?? Maybe this needs to be a new thread, or maybe it already is...

I know there are more. It would be good to have an up to date list on Pre-Central, and challenge homebrew developers to see who can incorporate as many of them as they can in cool and innovative ways! Hmm.. I'm gonna go post it and see what happens..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12