1.    #1  
    ARTICLE:

Palm Wants To Embrace Google Voice, But Itís Not Clear Google Wants To Embrace Palm

Suddenly Appleís competitors see a weakness in the iPhone, and itís Google Voice. Weíve heard from a source close to Palm that the company plans to roll out deep integration with Google Voice on the Pre phones for users who want it. That could convert a lot of iPhone users to the Palm Pre fast. But thereís just one problem: at this point, Google isnít building an app for the Pre.

Google Voice gives users a lot of freedom with their phone - they can ring several mobile and landline phones at once through one number, manage text messages, auto-transcribe voicemails and also block/manage callers depending on who they are and when they are calling. Want to switch phones or carriers? If you use Google voice, you donít have to port your phone number or tell everyone what your new phone number is.

Which is exactly why Apple fears it.

What really makes Google Voice useful is when it integrates deeply with native apps like the dialer and contacts. That way all outbound calls use the Google Voice phone number (and caller ID) instead of the phone number associated with the phone. When it works perfectly, as it does with Android phones, the underlying device phone number is more like an IP address for a website - itís there but no one uses it. Your Google Voice phone number is more like the domain name, which everyone remembers and associates with you.

Weíre hearing that Palm wants that deep integration to lure iPhone users to the Pre, and our source said it would roll out an official app some time in the next month or so. But from what we hear from sources close to Google, no one there is actually working on a Google Voice app for the Pre. They have apps for Android and Blackberry (and iPhone in purgatory), but thatís it.

Officially Google is saying ďGoogle is interested in bringing the mobile experience of its products to many platforms, including Palm, as we have for the Palm Pre with Google Search, Google Maps, and YouTube built in, as well as easy sync to Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Contacts. We look forward to providing a mobile experience for more Google products to Palm Pre users.Ē

But our understanding from other sources is that Google only intends to roll out a browser based version of the service for Pre, which lacks the deep integration with native apps like the dialer and contacts. The user experience isnít nearly as good.

There are already third party Google Voice apps for the Pre, such as this one, but again, those apps canít integrate deeply with the phone. Thatís because Google Voice has no API right now, so Google has to build deep integration apps directly.

So what weíre left with is this - Palm really wants Google Voice for the Pre, but it isnít at all clear that theyíre going to get it any time soon
    i wonder if any of the hombrew apps for google voice have Palm's attention.
    I have been following the creator of GDial Pro on Facebook and so far he has not heard anything from Palm. He has submitted his app for the App Catalog, but no word yet. He mentioned that other developers have received notification on their apps, but not GD Pro.

As long as we are able to install Homebrew apps, I could care less if Google creates an application for it. I'm a big fan of GDial Pro and only keeps getting better. However, I can see how having an "official" app could help lure customers and ultimately benefit Palm in the longrun.
    Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo1 View Post
    I have been following the creator of GDial Pro on Facebook and so far he has not heard anything from Palm. He has submitted his app for the App Catalog, but no word yet. He mentioned that other developers have received notification on their apps, but not GD Pro.

As long as we are able to install Homebrew apps, I could care less if Google creates an application for it.
    I'm a big fan of GDial Pro and only keeps getting better. However, I can see how having an "official" app could help lure customers and ultimately benefit Palm in the longrun.
    Same here.
    Unfortunately the mass market will not adopt home brew so a Palm solution is necessary.

GDial is one of the few home brew apps that is actually very good. Kudos to the developer.

As for Google staying hands offish from the Pre, Palm has to actually sell some units in order to attract attention. People aren't going to flock to the Pre as developers when its pretty clear sales have not done well. Many say here that sales numbers don't bother them but they should since those numbers will directly correlate into apps and interest in the device, not to mention Palm's survival or death.

Also with Android finally hitting more than a single carrier (a crappy one at that) there is a lot of buzz surrounding it and since it is Google's baby people are now paying attention to it. While they already have 4 or 5k apps in their app store I expect many more serious developers hitting up that platform with all of the major US carriers and European carriers now picking up handsets, with many more in the hopper.

Palm hasn't said anything officially yet, why would they? But several analysts close to Palm have already started lowering guidance saying that even the lowest sales expectations have not been reached. Until Palm sells some handsets and actually figures out what they want to do with their third party support instead of winging it the entire time you are not going to see any serious development for the platform aside from enthusiasts.

We have zero communication from Palm. It would go a long way if they would just open up a little bit and let people know what is going on. They are even more tight lipped than Apple which IMO doesn't bode well for them as the style doesn't fit them nor a device that needs some TLC and fairly soon.
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the article talking about deeper integration with the OS. I believe that requires access to an API which is not released. I believe it would indeed take Google working with Palm to create the fully integrated GV app.
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    Same here.
    No offense to any of the developers or anything (the homebrew apps are quite good), but Google can do it better. As Google said, there's no API so there's really no streamlined way to interface with Google Voice, unless of course, Google does it themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Palm hasn't said anything officially yet, why would they? But several analysts close to Palm have already started lowering guidance saying that even the lowest sales expectations have not been reached.
    I'm sorry, but who are these analysts and how close are they to palm? Or is that just a guess??? Its just you'd expect something like that on alot of differant sites and blogs even on this site...your making it sound worse than it is...
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/26/2009 at 06:26 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    [QUOTE=mrloserpunk;1848636]
    Palm hasn't said anything officially yet, why would they? But several analysts close to Palm have already started lowering guidance saying that even the lowest sales expectations have not been reached.QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but who are these analysts and how close are they to palm? Or is that just a guess???

Read the news maybe? Morgan Stanly has a sell rating and a $7.50 price target on the stock and there are a few others that have come out fairly negatively. Considering sell ratings are extremely rare on upward moving stocks its worth noting, despite the fact that I rarely put any faith in the normal drivel analysts spout.

I wouldn't want to be a Palm stock owner. I've said it before when it was around $15+ and I'll say it again. This company has far too many hurdles to jump.
    [QUOTE=Aridon;1848665]
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post

Read the news maybe? Morgan Stanly has a sell rating and a $7.50 price target on the stock and there are a few others that have come out fairly negatively. Considering sell ratings are extremely rare on upward moving stocks its worth noting, despite the fact that I rarely put any faith in the normal drivel analysts spout.

I wouldn't want to be a Palm stock owner. I've said it before when it was around $15+ and I'll say it again. This company has far too many hurdles to jump.
    I'm sorry, how close is Morgan Stanly to palm? Your giving off the impression that they know something others dont??

Pacific Crest analyst James Faucette writes that his checks find that monthly sell-through of the Pre in August is “trending up slightly sequentially” versus run-rates at the end of July. He contends the improvement reflect better advertising, improved supply and strong word-of-mouth. That said, Faucette adds that further acceleration is going to be requried to meet his August quarter sales estimate of 750,000 units. He maintains his Outperform rating and $17 price target, and still thinks the company’s WebOS and software development team could be more to a potential acquirer - he mentions Nokia and Motorola - than as a stand-alone company.
    Palm (PALM) 8/26/09 PriceWatch Alert Could Hit 21.94% Return
    Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:13 AM EDT

Palm (NasdaqNM: PALM) closed yesterday at $12.63. So far the stock has hit a 52-week low of $1.14 and 52-week high of $16.80. Palm stock has been showing support around 12.06 and resistance in the 13.46 range. Technical indicators for the stock are Bearish and S&P gives PALM a very weak 1 STAR (out of 5) strong sell rating. PALM appears on the Investors Observer Volume Leaders list. For a hedged play on this stock, look at a Feb '10 9 covered call (UPY BI) for a net debit in the $8.13 area. That is also the break even stock price for this trade. This covered call has a 178 day duration, provides 35.63% downside protection and a 10.70% assigned return rate for a 21.94% annualized return rate (comparison purposes only). A lower cost hedged play for this stock would use a longer term call option in place of the covered call stock purchase. To use this strategy look at going long the PALM Jan '11 2.50 Call (ZTO AZ) and selling the Feb '10 9 call (UPY BI) for a $6.10 debit. The trade has a 178 day life and would provide 31.91% downside protection and a 6.56% assigned return rate for a 13.00% annualized return rate (for comparison purposes only). Palm does not pay dividends at this time. [WBA-Seven Summits Research] For more information on these strategies along with more details on possible risks go to www.iotogo.com/HPWAinfo
    So any ways, these are two quick searchs reguarding palms stock through google...oddly enough I couldnt find anything from mogan stanly downgrading it, while I know some have....hardly proof that "But several analysts close to Palm have already started lowering guidance saying that even the lowest sales expectations have not been reached"

Could you explain that statement or link to where it says how "close" these analysts are...or is that just hyperbole??
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/26/2009 at 06:55 PM.

We will find out who is right on Sept 17th.
    Just wanted to throw in my comments on this since I am the gDial developer. Palm has been weirdly silent on my attempts to reach out to them. I have done the normal submission, where I mention the press opportunity, but before that I had emailed their community guy.

All with no response so far. So this could mean they are developing their own app or that they are staying away from the GV situation or they are just busy and haven't had time to breath barely. I hope it is the 3rd option, but I would be willing to accept the first as it still would get Google Voice on the Pre for all of us even if it invalidates my efforts.

If they want a native app and haven't started on it yet, I have a lot of the coding done around what I can access, and am open to working with them and the native API's to fully integrate it. Just contact me, you guys have my info.

The only piece that is not possible from what I can see so far from the Google Voice side is a direct dial that immediately connects to the contact without the callback or dialing through voicemail. Everything else, SMS integration, history integration, etc can all be done now with access to the native API's. I am guessing that if Palm asked nicely, Google would tell them how to do it as apparently the Android app does it and Google seems to want to be an open and competitive company.
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by gst4
    Originally Posted by mrloserpunk

I wouldn't want to be a Palm stock owner. I've said it before when it was around $15+ and I'll say it again. This company has far too many hurdles to jump
    I think you made a mistake in this quote...Please edit to reflect the actual member who posted this...THANKS!

Aridon, I don't doubt that palm is in a precarious situation, and they need sales of the pre to make it or it breaks them. But your negitive bent does nothing to help palm. And I want palm to survive. and I want to see WEBOS devices on all carriers...because competition inspires innovation. And thats something we both can agree on right??
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/26/2009 at 07:39 PM.

I'm not sure why I feel this way, but I think Palm is "walking on eggshells" for fear of spooking some future carrier (possibly Verizon,) or maybe even the current carrier (Sprint).

Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    If they want a native app and haven't started on it yet, I have a lot of the coding done around what I can access, and am open to working with them and the native API's to fully integrate it. Just contact me, you guys have my info.
    It would be a shame not to take advantage of the work that flpalm has figured out. If my hunch is right, I hope that Palm can break any log-jam and get at least Sprint officially on-board with the Google Voice idea.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I'm not sure why I feel this way, but I think Palm is "walking on eggshells" for fear of spooking some future carrier (possibly Verizon,) or maybe even the current carrier (Sprint).

It would be a shame not to take advantage of the work that flpalm has figured out. If my hunch is right, I hope that Palm can break any log-jam and get at least Sprint officially on-board with the Google Voice idea.
    I'd agree here. At much as I'd like to say Palm is wearing the Pants in these carrier discussions, they dont have the postion apple does. They have to tread lightly i'm sure. But it wouldnt be a bad idea for sprint to embrace this....but im not sure they will....see thethering...really sprint? Really? Almost Every device but the Pre????

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    Just wanted to throw in my comments on this since I am the gDial developer. Palm has been weirdly silent on my attempts to reach out to them. I have done the normal submission, where I mention the press opportunity, but before that I had emailed their community guy.

All with no response so far. So this could mean they are developing their own app or that they are staying away from the GV situation or they are just busy and haven't had time to breath barely. I hope it is the 3rd option, but I would be willing to accept the first as it still would get Google Voice on the Pre for all of us even if it invalidates my efforts.

The only piece that is not possible from what I can see so far from the Google Voice side is a direct dial that immediately connects to the contact without the callback or dialing through voicemail. Everything else, SMS integration, history integration, etc can all be done now with access to the native API's. I am guessing that if Palm asked nicely, Google would tell them how to do it as apparently the Android app does it and Google seems to want to be an open and competitive company.
    My hopes (no offense, heard nothing but good things about your app) is that google is creating it. I suspect it may be wishful thinking, but I'm a pretty big fan of their products and think their team would do it best.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznicktwit View Post
    My hopes (no offense, heard nothing but good things about your app) is that google is creating it. I suspect it may be wishful thinking, but I'm a pretty big fan of their products and think their team would do it best.
    No offense taken, I am no Google. I would really just like to know from someone, Palm, Sprint, Google, etc if they are doing it as then I could put my time towards other apps that can be done. If they aren't that would be nice to know as well.

I am even offering to sign an NDA if they need it.
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Its simple, Palm will not do a Google Voice app for the same reason that Apple wont. The carriers don't want it and wont allow it.

Luckily for us, the Palm is much more open than the iphone and we have the tremendous Homebrew developers on our side.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011