Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I've seen plenty of comparisons between both, even the music CAPABILITIES, but I haven't seen much in terms of comparison between the Pre and iPhone in sound quality. I was wondering if anyone's got thoughts to share if they've compared the two themselves. Since there's no EQ on the Pre yet, I'm interested in an iPhone without EQ vs. Pre quality comparison.

Also - anyone here use their Pre as their only mp3 player, or do you use a separate one?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Pre=better
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    I've seen plenty of comparisons between both, even the music CAPABILITIES, but I haven't seen much in terms of comparison between the Pre and iPhone in sound quality. I was wondering if anyone's got thoughts to share if they've compared the two themselves. Since there's no EQ on the Pre yet, I'm interested in an iPhone without EQ vs. Pre quality comparison.

Also - anyone here use their Pre as their only mp3 player, or do you use a separate one?
    Haven't had enough extended time with an actual iPhone to decide on its sound quality, but the Pre does sound much better than an iPod (discussed here as well http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...than-ipod.html). I don't use a separate MP3 player, only the Pre. 8GB isn't the ideal amount of storage for me, listening to music can be harsh on the battery, and for some people, there's features the Music app is missing - for me there's only a couple tweaks I need (and have implemented the ones that are possible already myself).

There's a bunch of threads here on what people think the music player is missing, but if you can tolerate 8GB (again, I'm not happy about it, but I deal with it), don't mind having to charge it more often, and don't need scrubbing, robust playlist support, or a few other things I didn't pay much attention to because they didn't apply to me, you can definitely be happy with the Pre as your sole music player. Others might need something to supplement the Pre with.
    I have no problems using my Pre as my audio player. It sounds astoundingly well for being a phone, and really surpasses most MP3 players on the market today. It would -definitely- be great to have an external storage card capability to attach to the phone to extend the 8GB, but hey, 8GB isn't bad either.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I currently use my pre as my main mp3 player. I gifted my 40gig iPod Photo gen 1 to my better half. I also use my pre on the go to listen to podcasts and internet radio. I use my touchstone to hold my pre on trips in my jeep, the touchstone holds it in place and keeps it at an angle making it easy to read and use.
    The iPhone 3GS has exceptional sound quality, but so does the Pre.

Just plugged my $1100 monitors into the phone and, besides a bit of background hiss - it sounds great.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    there's features the Music app is missing -

There is a homebrew app- music remix- that has more features... LOVE IT!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Sorry for the bump, but didnt want to start a new thread; I am hoping for an EQ "app" or tweak to be released soon as I find the volume output of the pre to be nearly half of that of my 60gb ipod classic. The bass response is also a joke, and everything comes out sounding very flat.I notice it in two different uses; One when I'm mowing the grass and I have it turned up all the way and still cant hear it even though my ipod is clearly audible set to 3/4 volume. Two; in my car hooked up to my aux input and I have to turn my car's volume up to 28 vs 18 for the ipod. I would love to be able to stop lugging around two devices, and Pandora is great, but I cant tolerate the low sound output of the pre.
    Can a playlist be created in the homebrew music app remix? I havn't been able to figure this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    ...besides a bit of background hiss...
    have you tried a ferrite core around the cable you are plugging into your phone? that might help eliminate the issue
    An EQ app would be great!! The sound could defiantly use alot more bass and highs.
    Ipod touch sound quality is superior to the Pre from my personal experience
    also the pre has no eq settings that i know of
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    An EQ app would be nice but, when all is said and done, it's still an MP3 and compressed all to hell. As far as volume output goes I have found adding a battery powered headphone booster like Radio Shacks BoostarooŽ 3-Channel Headphone Audio Amplifier and Splitter gives a nice punch though, once again, for a true audiophile an HE-AAC player app would be better.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Personally I think the Pre sounds a bit worse than my iPhone. I use Monster Turbine earphones and with the iPhone's EQ set to flat the bass is punchier than the Pre.
    I hope they can tweak it in a firmware update. Till then I'm left to use my Fiio E5 with my Pre.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Haven't had enough extended time with an actual iPhone to decide on its sound quality, but the Pre does sound much better than an iPod (discussed here as well http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...than-ipod.html). I don't use a separate MP3 player, only the Pre. 8GB isn't the ideal amount of storage for me, listening to music can be harsh on the battery, and for some people, there's features the Music app is missing - for me there's only a couple tweaks I need (and have implemented the ones that are possible already myself).

There's a bunch of threads here on what people think the music player is missing, but if you can tolerate 8GB (again, I'm not happy about it, but I deal with it), don't mind having to charge it more often, and don't need scrubbing, robust playlist support, or a few other things I didn't pay much attention to because they didn't apply to me, you can definitely be happy with the Pre as your sole music player. Others might need something to supplement the Pre with.
    Yes we should believe anything on this site when it relates to Apple.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I agree - my iPod touch clearly sounds better than the Pre. May be partially EQ settings, but I get pretty bad lows and highs on the Pre. Maybe they got their technology from Bose?
    I do use my pre for an mp3 player but I believe that my Ipod is a better music player for quality of sound and ease of use. I however bought the pre to be a jack of all trades built in gps(no app needed or fees), mp3 player, internet radio, and web browser. The other thing is bit rates an encoding also play into this and to be honest I have never tried a side by side by side comparison.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Personally I think that the Pre has a much more balanced sound then the iPhone. I am picky when it comes to headphones so the headphones I own are very revealing when it comes to audio quality (Senhheinser HD650, Shure SE530, Denon D2000) and the iPhone boosts base way too much to the point where it drowns out other frequencies. Granted, on cheaper headphones or in my Honda Civic with it's craptacular stock speakers the Pre does sound pretty flat and lifeless. For some reason I have noticed that bass is really lacking in Pandora, maybe something to do with how they compress the audio?

My two cents, your speakers (or headphones) are the cultprit for your audio complaints. The Pre has a very balanced sound signature, at least to my ears, it is just that your speakers or headphones are struggling to reproduce it.
    I CANNOT do the standard music app on the Pre. I hate it. I thought I could get used to it, but I gave up on it. If a better/updated current music app comes out, I'll give it a try, but for now, I can't stand the current one.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    Personally I think that the Pre has a much more balanced sound then the iPhone. I am picky when it comes to headphones so the headphones I own are very revealing when it comes to audio quality (Senhheinser HD650, Shure SE530, Denon D2000) and the iPhone boosts base way too much to the point where it drowns out other frequencies. Granted, on cheaper headphones or in my Honda Civic with it's craptacular stock speakers the Pre does sound pretty flat and lifeless. For some reason I have noticed that bass is really lacking in Pandora, maybe something to do with how they compress the audio?

My two cents, your speakers (or headphones) are the cultprit for your audio complaints. The Pre has a very balanced sound signature, at least to my ears, it is just that your speakers or headphones are struggling to reproduce it.
    This might be why I've been finding the Pre a bit lackluster. I do like the "boominess" sound signature so much so that I got the Monster Turbines. I guess I got used to that punchy bass over the last 2 years not knowing that it wasn't the way the artist intended. All in all, I'm just glad its not the Pre's fault.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast