Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From the very beginning (well, since June 6th, when I got my Pre), I always noticed that scrolling through pages (whether it's a web page, contact list, Google Maps, etc), the Pre was nowhere near as smooth as the iPhone.

In fact, and I'm not sure how to explain this, but the iPhone always had a "video-like" quality on its animations and overall UI smoothness.

Will WebOS ever come close to this? I'm sure the Pre's OMAP CPU is beefy enough to handle these effects, so it must be an OS optmization issue?

Can any iPhone user also vouch for this marked difference between the two phones?
    Hopefully, firmware upgrades will make the Pre smoother.
    touch accuracy and sensitivity is behind the iphones, hopefully an update will fix
    The Palm Pre currently doesn't utilize the built-in GPU at the moment. Palm would have to create custom drivers and provide a firmwire update to enable this. Without the GPU, the CPU is strained to process both the graphics and data.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    whoops, someone posted this right before i did!

firstly i think it is pretty smooth,

however, my understanding is that the GPU is not being used at all and that is the main problem. that is why GPU is important to me, it is not for games, but for efficiency of battery and fluidity of the UI. overall it is important in making the pre a functional tool.
    There are four lights.
    Anyone else sometimes press the screen, and u get the ripple and you touch directly on the button, but nothing happens???
    Once the GPU is utilized, that will take the strain off the CPU. And if you're comparing it to the iPhone, have patience. Apple has had almost 3yrs to get it right (and it's still not perfect by any means).

Pre has been around almost 3mos? Patience young Padawan. Learn you will
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Anyone else sometimes press the screen, and u get the ripple and you touch directly on the button, but nothing happens???
    If you're talking about answering text notifications by tapping the notification bar that appears after you tap the bubble/balloon, yes, I do get that at times. This changed noticeably to me after 1.1.0. Version 1.0.4 didn't have this behavior.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I don't know if WebOS will ever be as smooth as the iPhone OS, but for its sake I sure hope so. There is definitely a difference between the two. I'm hoping that WebOS 2.0 or whatever (things like that won't come in a small release) will include graphics drivers and enable a much faster/smoother UI as well as 3d gaming.

For me, the lack of smoothness and responsiveness in the UI is the Pre's biggest problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Once the GPU is utilized, that will take the strain off the CPU. And if you're comparing it to the iPhone, have patience. Apple has had almost 3yrs to get it right (and it's still not perfect by any means).

I doubt it's just because the GPU isn't being used. There could be hardware issues with the touch screen or bugs in the touch screen drivers. The iPhone GUI may render its widgets much faster. The application developer's code which drives those widgets is compiled into optimised native machine code. Poor system performance is often caused by multiple factors.

Also Apple has had a lot of time to work on the iPhone's code base (it is based on Mac OS-X which itself was based on Next-Step which I first saw in 1989). They also have a lot of money to invest in fixing and improving things.

1. To say the statement is true. Then that would go to say that the pre battery life would improve...right? Because the cpu would not work as hard.

2. Why would palm not utilize the gpu right of the bat? What advantages would it bring to table that would warrent them to do so?

--Gabe
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    1. To say the statement is true. Then that would go to say that the pre battery life would improve...right? Because the cpu would not work as hard.

2. Why would palm not utilize the gpu right of the bat? What advantages would it bring to table that would warrent them to do so?

--Gabe
    1) Quite possibly.

2) Time to market is why they may not of utilized the gpu initially (assuming they didn't of course). The advantage of a GPU is it allows you to draw stuff on the screen more quickly and allows cool looking graphical effects (e.g. Vista's window borders).
  13.    #13  
    Thanks all for the quick, great responses!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    The Palm Pre currently doesn't utilize the built-in GPU at the moment. Palm would have to create custom drivers and provide a firmwire update to enable this. Without the GPU, the CPU is strained to process both the graphics and data.
    Do you have any linkage that shows Palm's decision on not using the GPU?

Jeez, I get that all the time, it's a bit annoying.

From the very beginning, smooth the iPhone was.

Until someone comes up with a link on this, my best guess is that they decided that adding the GPU drivers would further delay the Pre's launch.

And if it is indeed a simple firmware/OS update, then it would be quite simple (all things considered) to fix this gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Thanks all for the quick, great responses!

From the very beginning, smooth the iPhone was.

I never had an iphone, but i waited untill OS 3 to upgrade my wifes touch from the original release way back many many years ago, and i can tell you that it was not any smoother than the pre, infact the browser was choppier on the old firmware touch.

now however, that has all changed, but the advantage that device has over the pre in smoothness is minimal at best, really more of a caught up to type of thing.

woo! post one hundred
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I never had an iphone, but i waited untill OS 3 to upgrade my wifes touch from the original release way back many many years ago, and i can tell you that it was not any smoother than the pre, infact the browser was choppier on the old firmware touch.

now however, that has all changed, but the advantage that device has over the pre in smoothness is minimal at best, really more of a caught up to type of thing.

woo! post one hundred
    Disagree 100%, i have an itouch and the touch interaction is much more accurate on the itouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL
    Do you have any linkage that shows Palm's decision on not using the GPU?
    I do not have a link currently for this information, but it has been discussed through various sources that Palm omitted this feature for the time being from the Pre. Most agree that since the Pre was a rushed project, that Palm never implemented it. Look forward to seeing it in a firmware update in the future.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.

--Gabe
    1. Very possible that it will help with battery issues. It is still a 1150mAh battery, any which way you look at it. It can only do so much (at least a 1350mAh would have been a bit better but might have driven up the cost of the device). And yes, it's probably not the only problem that causes the lag but if so, the GPU would allow for quicker/smoother rendering of objects/icons, etc. The CPU is being taxed by having it's dual role (graphics/data) not to mention the multitasking (many windows open at once) that we ask it to do.

2. Marketing, competition and delay of release probably all play a part here. Advantages of a utilizing now would be to compete with today's devices. It's also something you don't want to get wrong from the beginning. You have to remember that the Pre is new and that its synergy is a complicated process. They knew they'd be seeing bugs once it hit the masses. It's a process of managing the amount of evils you get at once. Gotta walk before you can run.

Hopefully, the UI will get smoother. I'd be surprised if it didn't.
    Disagree 100%, i have an itouch and the touch interaction is much more accurate on the itouch.
    are you talking about speed and accuracy, or just accuracy, I don't find the pre particularly inaccurate, though it can have a delay in registering input when there are lots of things going on in the background. if it is speed that is interesting, is it an un-upgraded first gen touch? IE pre the 1.1.4 release with speed improvements?

I'm not challenging you its your experience, and it is just as valid as mine, just wondering.

I, and my wife, both felt that the palm had much better browser scrolling on our pre's than the touch did stock. I guess i would call it more fluid, which is a blend of many things. now, as i pointed out, this is not the case, and the touch wins, but by a hair, and not in the general UI sense, the pre wins there by a long shot for me.

it is fluidity of movements, scrolling and the like that I think GPU will improve, is this correct?
    Last edited by windzilla; 08/26/2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: clarification
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    From reading here, it seems as though the Webkit shell that is WebOS has no mechanism to linking into the GPU, and such things are simply not available at this time, and may not be for a year.

My curiosity is to why Palm built the Pre with hardware that featured a GPU? Did they intend to use it and didn't have time? Did they hope they could somehow use it down the road? Did they just buy a sort of stock chipset that came with a GPU?
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    are you talking about speed and accuracy, or just accuracy, I don't find the pre particularly inaccurate, though it can have a delay in registering input when there are lots of things going on in the background. if it is speed that is interesting, is it an un-upgraded first gen touch? IE pre the 1.1.4 release with speed improvements?

I'm not challenging you its your experience, and it is just as valid as mine, just wondering.

I, and my wife, both felt that the palm had much better browser scrolling on our pre's than the touch did stock. I guess i would call it more fluid, which is a blend of many things. now, as i pointed out, this is not the case, and the touch wins, but by a hair, and not in the general UI sense, the pre wins there by a long shot for me.

it is fluidity of movements, scrolling and the like that I think GPU will improve, is this correct?
    It's more like when i touch something on the itouch i never have to wonder if it registered, there are no delays and is dead on accurate, i unfortunately can't say i feel the same way about the Pre. Itouch 2G pre 3.0 update.

Maybe it's the Glass V Plastic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast