Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I'm never sure what to believe when talking to a Sprint repair tech, but this is what I was told today while picking up a replacement Pre.

He said that a repair bulletin was released today that made certain batteries and dead pixels an official problem on early release phones. I asked if that means that they should be replaced without any hassle, and he said yes.

He looked at my battery and threw it away. Said that it was made in China with cell origin Japan and deemed defective. The one you want is made in China with cell origin Korea. Also, take a look at the two plastic end pieces on the same side as the metal connectors. They should be solid. My old battery has a hole in each one.

We went through to replacements today. The first had bad oreo. Second one has no swivel. I grabbed the old battery out of the trash too. I never had a problem with it.
    Last edited by reissc1; 08/26/2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Update
    can anyone confirm the battery switcharoo thing? this happened with my old omnia, and it was not based on model numbers but if you reported poor battery life, they would switch out the battery free of charge, i might be tempted to do this for the pre.
    Last edited by windzilla; 08/26/2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: clarify my inital sentance
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    How are they "Defective"? What symptoms or problems occur with a "defective" battery? Just short battery life? Mine is like what your old one was like - Made in China and holes in the end pieces.
    Can anyone else confirm this?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I suppose this might get a little confusing. My battery says "Made in China" then "Cell Origin Korea".
    Mine says made in Japan....
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

My original and new battery are exactly the same:

No holes on the tabs
    Made in China, Cell Origin Korea

is this the good one or at least one of the good ones?
    I took mine to the store about the crashing when closing the slider, and they replaced the battery.

I was kind of bummed; was hoping for a newer build with less oreo.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Mine is China (Cell Japan) with the 2 holes. I get a replacement on Thursday, wonder if there will be a difference.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Well, i'm outa the 30 days, and have a dead pixel, good news!
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Well mines is made in U.S.A!
    About 2 weeks ago, my launch day pre, got the slider/shutdown disease. I went to sprint store (corp. tech store) last week, the guy didn't have any in stock, so he ordered 20, and told me to return this week (Monday). As I had to work, I went yesterday in the am, and the girl that was working gave me a new battery without any issue, didn't even look in my account-The guy from last week, had specifically made a note in my account, so i wouldn't have any issue. I also asked her if i could keep the old battery, and she handed it to me no problem. So now I have 2 batteries. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life yet, but it has barely been 24 hours. Again, not sure if this has anything to do with the OP's comments, but I had no issue what so ever.
    Last edited by breakinghbts; 08/26/2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I updated first post to clarify. New battery is made in China w/ cell origin Korea. Old battery was made in China w/ cell origin Japan. Confusing! I haven't noticed a difference in either one beyond the plastic ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by reissc1 View Post
    I updated first post to clarify. New battery is made in China w/ cell origin Korea. Old battery was made in China w/ cell origin Japan. Confusing! I haven't noticed a difference in either one beyond the plastic ends.
    huh? First time i ever looked at that, and my old battery, from a launch day pre mind you, if the made in china, w/ cell origin in korea, so I had the new battery all along. Guess that explains why it took over 2 months for the slider problem to occur. I'm not sure what my new battery says, as Its currently in my pre, and since i only have 20% remaining, i'm just going to wait to look until I have to switch batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by reissc1 View Post
    I'm never sure what to believe when talking to a Sprint repair tech, but this is what I was told today while picking up a replacement Pre.

He said that a repair bulletin was released today that made certain batteries and dead pixels an official problem on early release phones. I asked if that means that they should be replaced without any hassle, and he said yes.

He looked at my battery and threw it away. Said that it was made in China with cell origin Japan and deemed defective. The one you want is made in China with cell origin Korea. Also, take a look at the two plastic end pieces on the same side as the metal connectors. They should be solid. My old battery has a hole in each one.

We went through to replacements today. The first had bad oreo. Second one has no swivel. I grabbed the old battery out of the trash too. I never had a problem with it.
    I'm glad you grabbed it out of the trash. Even if you weren't going to be reusing it, batteries shouldn't end up in landfills. They're far too valuable to end up in a hole somewhere, and bad for the environment to boot.

Please don't let the Sprint rep throw away your battery if you get a new one! In many states, that's even a crime.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Sprint is over nighting me a new battery after several complaints of over heating and random shut offs. Went to the store the 1st time and they gave me a refurb b/c of the random shut offs. Then got a TS last week but couldn't use it b/c the battery got TOO hot. Palm Support said it was most likely the battery.

Told Sprint this and the battery will arrive tomorrow.

I'll update yall when it arrives as to the origin of the battery.
    ive had my pre since july it has a bunch of dead pixel had them since i had it but the dead pixel dindnt really bother me that much was wondering should i get it replaced because of the pixel or deal with it since this is the only problem ive been havin with the pre besides the quality of images when i zoom in "what should i do"
    Last edited by wess580; 08/26/2009 at 08:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    We (my fiancee and I) Each got Pres from BB on the 8th... We have newer version (dark silver button, foam on the inside... etc..) but the battery is China/Japan... very small oreo effect, no sliding shut-off issue.. the only thing I've noticed recently is apparently I've had a few random reboots (uptime was only a day)... then just about 30 minutes ago I noticed it just up and rebooted... Haven't had any major issues though... Battery life is OK, and now that we push invisibleshields on... I don't feel like taking mine in, unless it's really messed up
    So both my new and old batteries have the cell origin of korea. So I don't have faith that the slider issue won't return...since it took only a few months for the problem to show in the first place. The new battery will probably have the same problem in 2-3 months. I hope they come up with a permanent fix. But maybe they'll just send us those rubber pads to install ourself.
    I've got a MIC/Japan battery, and my phone has never had an issue...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast