1.    #1  
    Anyone having crazy reset issues? When I swipe to unlock the phone it resets itself. Sometimes it shows a battery with a question mark, sometimes the low battery sign, sometimes just restarts.

It just started out of the blue...

Any ideas?
    Unless you are running your battery way down, it sounds like your battery is loose. You can wedge a little paper in the battery compartment or take it back to Sprint and exchange for the newer Pres that have a little bit of foam rubber to keep the battery against the contacts.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Unless you are running your battery way down, it sounds like your battery is loose. You can wedge a little paper in the battery compartment or take it back to Sprint and exchange for the newer Pres that have a little bit of foam rubber to keep the battery against the contacts.
    Uh-oh. It's the "new" battery from Palm...
    mine just did this, phone didn't move
  5.    #5  
    I guess gremlins were gremlining in it...

Hope it doesn't happen to anyone else...
    I'm getting the same issue, and in face had it happen to me today while sitting on the touchstone. That was a little disturbing, I gotta say. :P

Off to the sprint Store for me.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    my phone was sitting on my desk the other day, and then i noticed it flashed the palm logo, and rebooted itself. this was really late at night, but the battery was at abotu 50%.
    how frustrating this is. I am sort of glad I'm not the only one, but i'm on my 5th Pre and I am having the issue that the pre will just shutdown by itself or when I close the slider it will shutdown by itself too. They are sending me a replacement phone again, the previous replacement had the foam and still had the issues and the replacement was actually worse because not only did it have shutdown issues, but it also had problems with providing me a solid blue tooth connection. Too frustrating and hope that the problem gets resolved. I think its not just the pre, but also with the battery which they are going to need to replace if this problem persists...just very frustrating...hmm why can't a 1st generation be rolled out right the 1st time???
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Mine's doing this more and more frequently. I'm not touching it, and it'll do it. Sitting still on a desk.

I've got the thing rooted/tweaked/etc. Going to OS Doctor it and see if the behavior continues.
    Last edited by hammysink; 09/10/2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    is anybody that has a random reboot running either Terminal or Preware?
  11.    #11  
    FWIW, Palm sent me a new battery, told me to monitor the situation...

No resets since, but who knows...
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    is anybody that has a random reboot running either Terminal or Preware?
    I had Preware. Also had my Tether v2.

I ran WebOS Doctor on it this AM and so far about 4 hours with no crashes. I really have to lean towards some of the homebrew software (or my ineptness installing it) causing it.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ret2961 View Post
    FWIW, Palm sent me a new battery, told me to monitor the situation...

No resets since, but who knows...
    Did you buy from Palm or Sprint? I have owned mine since June & only have had the problem the last 2 days. Before the reset, battery power showed N/A or a ? or both. But it reset numerous times those two days. Today, no resets at all...Anyway, I bought from Sprint & if this problem resurfaced--even for a day--I was going to take it in to see what they could do.

No homebrew or rooting on my Pre.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Sounds like the problem I had back in June:
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...broke-pre.html

Called palm, and I seem to have stumped them. The guy said "Is it a battery outline with a lightning bolt?" Me: Nope, it has a question mark in the middle, no lightning bolt. "Am I to understand you have an issue with the battery life? Do you use youtube a lot? IM a lot?" Me: "No, it isn't the ongoing battery life, it's that one minute it's at 85%, then 5% in under a minute, then back up to 64% less than a minute after that. It can't seem to figure out what the battery is at and just restarts whenever it thinks the battery is dead. (even though it isn't/shouldn't be)

They had me take it into a Sprint store, and at first I just tried swapping out the battery and it SEEMED to have fixed it, but the problem returned. It was the phone - not the battery it turned out.
    I got the battery question mark once and with all kinds of crashes I finally webOs Doctored it. Worked for a while.

Now it resetting itself at least once a day. I'm going to th repair center.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I wanted to follow up several days after WebOS doctoring it. Since doctoring, I've homebrew'd it, but intentionally left off preware, virtual keyboard, and my tether- basically installing everything else.

Happy to report that I've not had a single crash since doctoring. It had to be the software, whether it was a bug, interaction problem, or an issue with my methods of installation.