1.    #1  
    Hello!

I have searched around and have not found any one with quite the same issue.

I was installing some new apps to test out for a client of mine and one of them required using the WebOS Quick Install = messing around with that app (which i will say is pretty slick) i noticed later that day that i had lost the Proximity Sensor had stopped working.

The Ear peice still works like a champ though -this is not the same issue where others were able to solve with Rubbing alcohol! I noticed it was happening because my ear has started launching its own apps and trying to edit contact cards

I run the test on the device and it DOES NOT respond to the hand waive test for the sensor

I am hoping someone may know a app or trick i have to do that could help with out having to RTM my device

Thanks again in advance for any help!
    What were the apps did you install? Did you apply any of the Tweaks?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    What were the apps did you install? Did you apply any of the Tweaks?
    Some of them were silly just to see how the Quick install worked like the shopping list and checkbook - the one big one was the Internalz File Manager - that install did not work - when i tested it it said it was missing a file so i just uninstalled it

As to the Tweaks - i was having another issue where the browser would not open - went and turned the Tweaks off (it was the one that says Download in Browser) as of now the only tweaks i have enabled are the hide Nascar App and the hide NFL App

Thanks!
    I've found random apps will break various native programs. I just delete the homebrew app and it brings back full functionality.

I don't really find it worth the effort to try and diagnose the problems since many of the homebrew apps are more novelties than necessities.
    this is why i won't do homebrew, need my phone to work, good luck to all that do though
    Now that you mention it, I have the same problem. I use a headset for most calls but I've opened some things with the phone up to my ear as well. When running the automated test, I get the vibration from waving my hand in front of the device but I can't get a proximity response when running the phone app... Interesting.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalhouston View Post
    Now that you mention it, I have the same problem. I use a headset for most calls but I've opened some things with the phone up to my ear as well. When running the automated test, I get the vibration from waving my hand in front of the device but I can't get a proximity response when running the phone app... Interesting.
    ya - if you get the vibration from the test - i have read that you can take an shaved down Q-tip soaked with rubbing alchol and clean the headphone jack and that should fix

For me - i do not get the vibration when i do the test - oh well - i guess i will have to restore my phone and start from scratch
    I don't mean to be argumentative but I want to make sure you're not misinterpreting the symptoms because I have a similar problem that's definitely not a homebrew issue:

When you are on a call, what is the icon in the lower left of the dialer?

If it's a little picture of headphones, your pre thinks you still have a headset plugged in...in this case the proximity sensor is disabled.

This is a hardware problem...on my phone if I physically squeeze the top left corner it will switch to the internal speaker (and then the proximity sensor also works).

Anyway, I hope this helps.
  9.    #9  
    i think it is hardware for me after all - did the restore to defaults and still nada - going to do WebOSDR and then give up and get a replacement i guess
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    this is why i won't do homebrew, need my phone to work, good luck to all that do though
    Theres no way this is actually homebrew related. Homebrew doesn't mess with the OS, the apps install to the installable space just like any app you get from the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirloki View Post
    i think it is hardware for me after all - did the restore to defaults and still nada - going to do WebOSDR and then give up and get a replacement i guess
    If it's stuck in Headset Mode, it's a known hw issue. Just get a replacement for your Pre and you'll be good to go.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 08/27/2009 at 05:29 PM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Thanks to this thread I'm not so devastated at the fact I have to replace my phone. I have the exact issue as described above. At least this should mean that I will hopefully get less hassle from the sprint store. And I just get a shiny new pre with hopefully more stable hardware.
    I'm having the same issue as well. I haven't ever plugged in a headset, but I have used blue tooth headset and installed homebrew apps. Are you guys saying this is a known issue with some phones and that I will need to take it to sprint and get a new phone?