Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I haven't found this posted anywhere. I know that a normal stylus can not be used on the Pre but found out "by accident by the way?" that my car key actully can control the screen which is really cool. I think its due to the security transmitter built in the key. Has anyone else noticed this??
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ...

I think that's because the car key is metal (steel) and therefore conducts electricity. Since it is a capacitive touch screen, then your skin (which also conducts electricity) and any other conductive substance may work. But that's also why a normal plastic stylus won't work.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I tried to use a nail and it didn't work
    you guys are brave using sharp objects on the screen like that
    I think there is a stylus that works with the iPhone that mimics the human feel...not sure if anyone has tried it with the pre, but the screens work the same so i would imagine it would work...

Here's one on amazon:
    Amazon.com: Ten One Design T1-AP25-102 Pogo Sketch for iPhone 3G, 3G S: Cell Phones & Service

There are also ones on Amazon for .01 if you are feeling daring!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    It's because you're holding the key with your fingers. There are instructions on the web on how to make a stylus for capacitive screens by wrapping a pencil in foil, and leaving part of the foil exposed so that it touches your skin when you hold it.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=stubbs;1848172]It's because you're holding the key with your fingers. There are instructions on the web on how to make a stylus for capacitive screens by wrapping a pencil in foil, and leaving part of the foil exposed so that it touches your skin when you hold it.[/QUOTE

I dont think this is the case since it only works with the car key not any other key. The car key itself has a plastic grip so I'm not actually touching the metal