1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I am interested in buying a Pre, but it is still not available in Israel so I will have to order it from somewhere else. I don't really know a lot about what it needs to have so it will work here and if it has to be unlocked or something... Can someone please provide me with some information I have to know before buying the pre?
    BTW - Israel is very similar to Europe in standards and compatibility so if you don't know about Israel, information about palm pre in Europe would help too.
    Please help,
    Ofir.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    According to this site: CDG : Technology : CDMA2000 Operators

Pelephone provides coverage nationwide, and EVDO coverage in Tel Aviv. I had no problem placing a call (roaming with Sprint) in Tel Aviv when I was in Israel about a month ago (rate was $2.50USD/minute ). Unfortunately, due to the music, I couldn't spend much time on the Pelephone web site to look around.

Take a look at the bypassing activation page on the webos-internals wiki.

Here is what a Sprint Rep had to say:

Code:
    12:29:29 Matt: Hello Mychal
    12:30:12 Matt: I am about to use webOS doctor to clear out the activation of my pre, but I am currently in israel
    12:30:31 Matt: will i be able to create/sync with my palm profile while roaming internationally?
    12:30:45 Matt: (in an EVDO coverage area)?
    12:32:03 Mychal: For the activation the phone will need to be in the Untied States to connect to sprint cell phone towers. At this time I do not recommend resetting your phone while in Israel
    12:32:54 Matt: so, i can not activate while roaming on EVDO?
    12:34:42 Matt: can I sync my contacts while I'm here and roaming?
    12:34:43 Mychal: I sorry Matt however the device will need to be inside the USA
    12:36:19 Mychal: You may not be able to access your contacts however if you are on a wi-fi internet connection you will be able to access contacts online through google of other services
    12:37:13 Matt: so, I can't get my email while I'm here?
    12:38:59 Mychal: The Palm Pre is not an international device however you are able to access a Wi-fi hotspot for your email access.
    12:39:45 Matt: so, you're telling me that I can not make calls while roaming internationally?
    12:39:53 Matt: there is no data coverage internationally?
    12:40:22 Matt: this is very odd, because i can make calls internationally, and i can also access the data network internationally
    12:41:30 Mychal: I understand however the Palm Pre is not an international device and we can not guarantee you are able to make or receive phone calls or access the internet
    12:41:50 Matt: okay. thanks!
    12:41:53 Matt: have a good day
    I do not believe them. The only concern is if Palm's cloud service only allows IP addresses from Sprint access. Unfortunately, I could have tested this while I was over there, but I didn't turn my phone on. You could install the webOS emulator and see if they're limiting access to their cloud service to IP addresses with a source in the US, but I highly doubt this.

Humm... I just bought the device for $610 from a Sprint store.

Thanks,

Matt
    Just get a crappy gsm phone and pick up a sim card when you get there. It is much easier.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Just get a crappy gsm phone and pick up a sim card when you get there. It is much easier.
    This is what I was thinking... but after re-reading the post, our boy Firas lives in Israel and just wants to Pre before the rest of his friends.
    The sprint version should work on Pelephones network no problem just give them the ESN and they should be able to add it to their database for activation.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    sketch42... i'd be mostly concerned with the over-the-air activation and programming the phone manually to work on their network at all.
    there are ways to bypass the OTA and do a manual activation
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    there are ways to bypass the OTA and do a manual activation
    How do you do a manual activation?

[edit]

Thanks sketch...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1662866

Quote Originally Posted by LarrySteeze View Post
    ##(MSL)# (Whatever your phone's MSL is)
    This allows you to see/change your number. Do NOT change this to a number without notifying Sprint, or your phone will no longer work.

Please exercise EXTREME caution when using the following codes...if you do something incorrectly, your phone will NO LONGER WORK, and you will have to contact Sprint technical support.:

##AKEY# (2539)
    Allows you to re-enter the 26-digit AKey on CDMA devices. Note: An incorrect AKey will deactivate the phone and you will need to contact technical support for the AKey.

##PREV# (7738)
    Opens Mobile Protocol Revision menu.
    Not sure how to use these...
    Last edited by branded; 08/26/2009 at 02:39 PM.
    You may needs to reset the activation screen first by pressing the orange button and the R key than input ##MSL#
    roaming works, but it's mad expensive(just came back) i didn't even use my phone. took my aunts POS phone, and i could not find any EVDO area's, i was about 2 hours away from tel-aviv.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanTheMan View Post
    roaming works, but it's mad expensive(just came back) i didn't even use my phone. took my aunts POS phone, and i could not find any EVDO area's, i was about 2 hours away from tel-aviv.
    He wants to use the pre and activate in israel not use sprint and roam
    oh wow you see, i had a post with the same name about 3 weeks ago haha, thought it was the same thing, my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ofiras View Post
    Hi,
    I am interested in buying a Pre, but it is still not available in Israel so I will have to order it from somewhere else. I don't really know a lot about what it needs to have so it will work here and if it has to be unlocked or something... Can someone please provide me with some information I have to know before buying the pre?
    BTW - Israel is very similar to Europe in standards and compatibility so if you don't know about Israel, information about palm pre in Europe would help too.
    Please help,
    Ofir.
    You can go to this site and check it out:

Palm.com : About Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    You can go to this site and check it out:

Palm.com : About Palm
    I don't see how your reply provides any assistance in as much it does not show availability of the pre in the middle east region. Which what the OP is interested in doing
  15.    #15  
    Thank you all guys for the replays!
    If I understand correctly (I'm don't really know about all this stuff, with activation, gsm etc., plus I don't really know English very well) you say that I can buy it and then give Pelephone the ESN, activate it manually and bypass the OTA(??). Well, since I'm not that good with such complicated things, and I don't have the money to spend on Pre that doesn't work, I think I'll just wait until it will be available here... although even the iphone still isn't available in Israel (at least not in a illegal way). Pelephone said they'll sell it but I believe that it would take a while, and probably cost about 800$ worth of INS if not more.
    I would do it if there was more simple way, a guide for unlocking the palm or if there was someone here that can do it for me, but I didn't find either.
    If someone here thinks he can explain it to me, someone that doesn't know anything about those things of unlocking and activating and stuff I would be happy to hear (It's not that I'm a technophobe or something, we just never had such cellular phones here like the iphone and palm, and I don't even know what activation is for. I know programming if needed.)
    Thanks again,
    Ofir.