1.    #1  
    Hello, thanks for reading and/or any responses.

I've owned an iPhone basically since it's initial launch in 2007. It was a revolutionary phone and I fell in love with it immediately. However, 2 years later and minimal changes to the phone and it still tied to AT&T, I started looking around. I've struggled with AT&T both in reception and customer service and for their prices I was pretty much fed up.

I had heard great things recently about Sprint and with Sprint's pricing I realized the iPhone, 2 years later, isn't worth paying the extra money. I would not have said that in 2007. So here I am, new to Sprint and new to the Pre and figured I'd share my initial reactions.

The OS is pretty incredible. In my opinion, it blows away the iPhone OS. I like the ability to multitask (even though I have to be responsible about what and how long I leave things open), I love the notification bar that shows on the front screen what messages you have. I like how you can view each mailbox individually and all-in-one. I like the calendars and how easy it is to view them all together or individually. All in all, so far I don't really have any downsides to the OS.

I was worried a bit about the keyboard, but it ended up doing the job quite nicely. It must have some mashing ability because I know when I type more than 1 key with my thumb, it seems to pick the correct key a majority of the time. It could be a bit bigger, in my opinion, but it does the job and I don't really have any complaints.

I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting to not being able to do all the gestures anywhere on the screen. I catch myself doing a gesture high on the screen like I would the iPhone and nothing happens... until I move to the gesture area. I'll probably get used to this in time.

The thing I'm most impressed with is the speed of Sprints network. While my signal may be a bit weak in my house, I don't seem to have any issues with the phone or calls. I'm connected to wifi which is very fast as well. But when out and about I've had 0 issues and incredibly fast data speeds.

Now the downside: I'm not at all impressed with the feel of holding the phone and using it. The battery door is ridiculous to get out and I have a feeling like I'm going to break it trying to use it. Then, it's always in the way when trying to plug in my charger. The screen is not solid with the base when closed. I know this is the 'oreo' issue I read about but I didn't realize how much this takes away from using the phone. It rattles, rotates, and is easily the worst part of the phone. In fact, it almost kills the phone for me. I think this is because I come from the iPhone which is a solid piece. I dropped the iPhone many times and never had any issues but I feel like this Pre is brittle and cheap. I can't decide if I should go to the Sprint store and see if there are newer models than mine which may have been released with fixes.

I hope I didn't come across as an iPhone lover and Pre hater. While it is true I loved the iPhone and thought it was the best phone ever invented... they didn't make any changes that made it worth keeping in the last 2 years. Many iPhone people say the app store is best. Yes, there are 65000 apps or whatever on the store, but 64,950+ are basically useless which I hope all Pre owners realize. Yes, the Pre app catalog is small now but it's not just number of apps that matter. The Sprint network and prices overtake any advantage the iPhone had (again, in my opinion).

To sum up: Best OS on a phone I've played with / owned. I can't wait to see what is in store for web os. The phone itself, on the other hand, leaves me with a bit of an uneasy feeling. Probably nothing groundbreaking in here, but if any one else is thinking of making the switch this may be useful.
    Pull out the slider when you want to open the battery door. Much easier.
    Or buy a Touchstone.
    Welcome to the forums and thank you for your post! I think that some of the things you mentioned will take some getting used to, but ultimately you will enjoy your exPREience. The "oreo" effect is bothering me, but it is very slight on my phoe, and hardly noticeable with my Innocase on. Some play IS necessary IMHO.

I would make sure you get an Innocase, as once again IMHO it provides the best protection, AND it works with the touchstone. Search around the forums and you will find that most everyone is very helpful and insightful.

It's funny that you brought up the gestures on the iPhone, because I was just thinking about that, but from the other end. I was using my iPod touch yesterday, and found myself trying to do a swipe back in order to go back in the browser. I then realized just how much one simple thing can make me love my Pre even MORE.

Anyway, enjoy your phone, and feel free to exchange it for another Pre if the oreo is too severe.

Finally,

Welcome to the CULT OF PREsonality!!!

Cheers,
    Robert
    Sorry bout my puns....but I am not ashamed!!!
    Nice, well-balanced post. Although I'm a Palm user from the PalmPilot days, I have to agree that the build quality on the Pre is not up to par. The slight "oreo" effect really does take away from an otherwise very positive experience. However, I think these build issues were a concession to Palm running out of time and money in getting the Pre to market. I doubt they will make it right for us early adopters, but something, even a discount on a next gen device, would be nice.
    I agree with you. The phone is by far the worst part of the phone.

Web OS is revolutionary from a multi tasking perspective.
    If you are within your 30 days of activation, go ahead and take the phone back. My first phone had an oreo effect and I returned it within 30 days. My second phone has been flawless (knock on wood) and it is just as tight as the first day I got it. Granted, I do use both hands to open the slider and I'm pretty gentle about it.

I too had the iPhone and for many of the same reasons as you, I decided to pull the plug. The WebOS is great, speedy network and ZERO dropped calls (huge deciding factor for me). I'm not using any sort of case, but do use the Invisible Shield to keep it from scratching.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Nice, well-balanced post. Although I'm a Palm user from the PalmPilot days, I have to agree that the build quality on the Pre is not up to par. The slight "oreo" effect really does take away from an otherwise very positive experience. However, I think these build issues were a concession to Palm running out of time and money in getting the Pre to market. I doubt they will make it right for us early adopters, but something, even a discount on a next gen device, would be nice.
    MarkY - Does the Premier Customer discount apply to us Pre owners? If I recall correctly, don't we get $150 discount every 12 months instead of 24?

If that's true, maybe upgraded hardware will be available then? I would love to see a 4G Pre with really nice hardware build.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Welcome!! I had the same oreo on mine. I took mine to Sprint and they replaced it. I now have a very solid, well built phone. I think in the newer builds, Palm has corrected that issue for the most part. If it bothers you, I would not hesitate to go and exchange it for a more solid Pre. I have had my new one for 4 weeks now and it is as solid as it was day one. I also Love my pre, I think it is one of the most fun phones I have owned. While it still has it's flaws, I think Palm in the near future will shore them up for us, then it will takeoff like crazy. (IMO) Anyway, welcome and enjoy!
    I agree with most of your post (never owned an iPhone, so I don't have the "misplaced gesture" issue). I dislike where the carger door is located, it's always in the way when I'm charging the phone in car. Fortunately, I find myself needing to do that less and less. I'm hoping Palm releases a car based Touchstone soon.

My biggest issue with the "feel" of the phone was its size. I still can't get used to the size in my hand when I'm using it closed, so I typically open it up when talking on it. That just feels more "natuarl" to me.

I think the other "cheapness" feel to the device is just the nature of it's design. I've picked up my old Treo since getting the Pre to try to make an objective assessment, and really felt that it was no worse than the Pre. The Treo (and iPhone) didn't have a slider, so I'm sure that's part of the perception.

However, I think a bigger part of it is the design. The Pre is meant to look like a river stone, a rock. Turned off, it really looks like one. Then you pick it up, and you "feel" that it's plastic. There's a reason it feels that way. It's because it is plastic. My Treo feels the same way, when I force myself to be objective about it. The real difference is the way they look, and I think that affects the perception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukin View Post
    Hello, thanks for reading and/or any responses.

I've owned an iPhone basically since it's initial launch in 2007. It was a revolutionary phone and I fell in love with it immediately. However, 2 years later and minimal changes to the phone and it still tied to AT&T, I started looking around. I've struggled with AT&T both in reception and customer service and for their prices I was pretty much fed up.

I had heard great things recently about Sprint and with Sprint's pricing I realized the iPhone, 2 years later, isn't worth paying the extra money. I would not have said that in 2007. So here I am, new to Sprint and new to the Pre and figured I'd share my initial reactions.

The OS is pretty incredible. In my opinion, it blows away the iPhone OS. I like the ability to multitask (even though I have to be responsible about what and how long I leave things open), I love the notification bar that shows on the front screen what messages you have. I like how you can view each mailbox individually and all-in-one. I like the calendars and how easy it is to view them all together or individually. All in all, so far I don't really have any downsides to the OS.

I was worried a bit about the keyboard, but it ended up doing the job quite nicely. It must have some mashing ability because I know when I type more than 1 key with my thumb, it seems to pick the correct key a majority of the time. It could be a bit bigger, in my opinion, but it does the job and I don't really have any complaints.

I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting to not being able to do all the gestures anywhere on the screen. I catch myself doing a gesture high on the screen like I would the iPhone and nothing happens... until I move to the gesture area. I'll probably get used to this in time.

The thing I'm most impressed with is the speed of Sprints network. While my signal may be a bit weak in my house, I don't seem to have any issues with the phone or calls. I'm connected to wifi which is very fast as well. But when out and about I've had 0 issues and incredibly fast data speeds.

Now the downside: I'm not at all impressed with the feel of holding the phone and using it. The battery door is ridiculous to get out and I have a feeling like I'm going to break it trying to use it. Then, it's always in the way when trying to plug in my charger. The screen is not solid with the base when closed. I know this is the 'oreo' issue I read about but I didn't realize how much this takes away from using the phone. It rattles, rotates, and is easily the worst part of the phone. In fact, it almost kills the phone for me. I think this is because I come from the iPhone which is a solid piece. I dropped the iPhone many times and never had any issues but I feel like this Pre is brittle and cheap. I can't decide if I should go to the Sprint store and see if there are newer models than mine which may have been released with fixes.

I hope I didn't come across as an iPhone lover and Pre hater. While it is true I loved the iPhone and thought it was the best phone ever invented... they didn't make any changes that made it worth keeping in the last 2 years. Many iPhone people say the app store is best. Yes, there are 65000 apps or whatever on the store, but 64,950+ are basically useless which I hope all Pre owners realize. Yes, the Pre app catalog is small now but it's not just number of apps that matter. The Sprint network and prices overtake any advantage the iPhone had (again, in my opinion).

To sum up: Best OS on a phone I've played with / owned. I can't wait to see what is in store for web os. The phone itself, on the other hand, leaves me with a bit of an uneasy feeling. Probably nothing groundbreaking in here, but if any one else is thinking of making the switch this may be useful.
    I too just recently made the switch. Times are tough and Sprint's pricing was way too tempting ($60 a month). Was a really sad day when I sold my 3gs. But here I am 2 weeks later and really loving the Pre and its potential. I pretty much agree with everything you said. Great os with a great future. I just wish the build quality was a little better. I get wiggle when closed and would love to see a more scratch and oil resistant screen. All and all though I have to say I am very happy and I seem to like the Pre more and more each day.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

I think the other "cheapness" feel to the device is just the nature of it's design. I've picked up my old Treo since getting the Pre to try to make an objective assessment, and really felt that it was no worse than the Pre. The Treo (and iPhone) didn't have a slider, so I'm sure that's part of the perception.

However, I think a bigger part of it is the design. The Pre is meant to look like a river stone, a rock. Turned off, it really looks like one. Then you pick it up, and you "feel" that it's plastic. There's a reason it feels that way. It's because it is plastic. My Treo feels the same way, when I force myself to be objective about it. The real difference is the way they look, and I think that affects the perception.
    One of the things I notice about Apple products is that I believe they intentionally engineer a certain amount of heft into their devices (like using a heavier glass screen) because it adds a feeling of quality. If they made the Pre out of carbon fiber it would be stronger and sturdier but would probably actually feel "cheaper" in you hand.

Maybe they should have actually constructed the Pre from river rock.

Oh, and to the OP - nice thoughtful post.
    Welcome to the forums.
    I just want to say that getting a Touchstone was a great decision on my part. I too was worried and frustrated with that little door. The Touchstone from precentral was cheap too. Plus it also will change the feel of the back of the Pre with its new door.

I more oil resistant screen would be nice. I'm going to try a screen protector and see if its any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo1 View Post
    MarkY - Does the Premier Customer discount apply to us Pre owners? If I recall correctly, don't we get $150 discount every 12 months instead of 24?

If that's true, maybe upgraded hardware will be available then? I would love to see a 4G Pre with really nice hardware build.
    Good point! The way I read the information sent to me, we are eligible every 12-months. However, that may put us on the path of being perpetual early adopters, lol.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for all the replies. I've already ordered the Seido case and a car charger. I still haven't decided about the touchstone but if I find I need a charger for work I'll probably just buy a touchstone for home and take the other charger to work.

I purposely left out any battery length discussion in my first post because, while the battery is currently worse than the iPhone, many people I've talked to say the battery gets better in time and I'm still configuring the phone for better battery life.
    It does mean $150 off every 12-month tune up and phone change. I have been an early buyer most of the time and would be with the Pre IF it did Word, Excel and had a decent database. Using Classic for me means nothing more than having a Palm OS device in hand. Dataviz just has to get DTG on the market. For now my next upgrade is to the Touch Pro 2.
    Thanks for all the replies. I've already ordered the Seido case and a car charger. I still haven't decided about the touchstone but if I find I need a charger for work I'll probably just buy a touchstone for home and take the other charger to work.
    Ironically, out of all the things I like about the Pre, the Touchstone is the issue that irks me. A LOT. You can't exactly do what you're talking about. I had planned the same thing, use one charger at work, the other at home.

The problem with the plan? The only thing the $70 (though I got a discount) Touchstone Kit had was the puck, and the required back.

No USB cable, and no charger! You are expected to use the charger and cable that came with the system! Apparently the Sprint store where I purchased the Touchstone was used to the complaints about that. As soon as I opened the box, before I mentioned anything, they offered to give me an extra USB cable. That's what I use to charge at work.

I purposely left out any battery length discussion in my first post because, while the battery is currently worse than the iPhone, many people I've talked to say the battery gets better in time and I'm still configuring the phone for better battery life.
    It does. I really don't understand why, as I thought the type of battery the Pre uses doesn't have a "memory", and doesn't have to be conditioned. But I've seen my battery last longer and longer as I've used the device. Shortly have the latest update, My battery was usually at about 20% by the time I left at 5. Right now (5:20), it's at 36%, and that's lower than normal these days. I usually see it at about 40% at the end of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It does mean $150 off every 12-month tune up and phone change. I have been an early buyer most of the time and would be with the Pre IF it did Word, Excel and had a decent database. Using Classic for me means nothing more than having a Palm OS device in hand. Dataviz just has to get DTG on the market. For now my next upgrade is to the Touch Pro 2.
    I don't have the Pre yet but I am really leaning toward buying it. My choices were Pre or Touch Pro 2. However, after playing with the T-Mobile TP2, I don't think I will get the TP2. It lags and the flow is no where near the Pre. Even though I have been a WinMo PDA users for many years, I think the Pre will be much much better in a year or so after all the "bugs" are worked out.
  20.    #20  
    Hello again!

It's been a few months since I first posted this, and although I haven't been too active on the forums, I have been reading and following the site since I joined. I figured it was time for an update so those who are thinking about the Pre can get more knowledge before making their decision.

Unfortunately, this post will not be as positive for the Pre as my first post. I still think that WebOS is a great phone operating system and has a great future ahead of it. As for the actual Pre device itself... well... let's just say if I was willing to part with a few hundred bucks to buy a different smart phone I would.

I'm now on my 3rd Pre. The first one had the headset die. I posted about it and some others had seen the same issue. One day after plugging in my headphones and then removing them, I could not get the phone to recognize they were no longer plugged in. For a while simply blowing on the headphone jack would bring it back, but finally it stopped completely. I took it to a Sprint store and they replaced it.

The 2nd phone didn't vibrate. After many resets I took it back to the store and the Sprint tech played around with it and replaced it. After a week with my 3rd phone, all seemed well. Until I went to use Google Maps. This phone always says 'Your current location is unavailable'. No matter what I do, I can't get the phone to figure out where I am. I'll probably head back to the Sprint store this weekend.

Aside from all the replacements, I just don't like the phone itself. The battery door is awful. I don't see what Palm was thinking when they created that door and though it would work. It's hard to open. It doesn't close flush to the rest of the phone. It gets in the way of plugging in the charger.

After several months of usage, for me, the biggest downfall has been the lag. I attempt to make a phone call, find the contact, and tap their number to call. Nothing happens. I hit the call button again and after a few seconds it jumps to calling mode and the 2nd time I hit the call button ends up ending the call. It's like the phone was in the process of making the call with no UI notification and although I hit the call button, the call ends up ending because the call button was really the end call button behind the scenes but the UI still showed it as the call button. I know this may sound confusing, but it's just the lag.

The lag affects more than the calling. While playing music, using the headphones is a horrible way to control the songs. Double clicking is sometimes an actual double click and will skip songs. Sometimes the 2nd click is ignored and it pauses the song. Now I'm trying to figure out if I've paused it or skipped a track and have to click away on the headphones until music starts playing again.

The menus also offer issues with the lag. Sometimes I accidentally click to high on the screen to answer the phone and it causes the dropdown menu to open. Now that the menu is open, a click on the answer call button does nothing and the phone has issues closing the menu due to the lag. It's surprising how many calls I've missed because of that stupid drop down menu.

Also, the iTunes sync has really bothered me. I want to use iTunes. I have a Mac and I use it as my music library. It's great when it works, but it sucks when I have to switch to DoubleTwist because iTunes doesn't work for the OS version I'm on. DoubleTwist and iTunes don't store the music the same way so neither of them recognizes the music that's alreay on the device from the other program and I have to do a full reset and clear to get the music off.

Backups suck. They don't remember my default mail, calendar, or contacts program. After each backup I have to go in and configure the default source of this information. Example: It always wants to default my contacts to my gmail, when I want it to default to my work email.

The last thing I'll complain about is the lock screen. I use the phone as my morning alarm and I have a lock on my phone. So when the alarm goes off, I have to type in my code to unlock the phone and turn the alarm off. However, due to the lag, it takes about 3 attempts before the phone starts registering all my touches on the buttons. I end up being locked out of my phone with the alarm going off because the phone won't register that I've typed in the correct code due to the lag.

All in all, WebOS is what I want on my phone. The Pre does not offer a great WebOS experience and it's not worth it to me. I would prefer my old 2g iPhone to the Pre. However, Sprint's network blows away At&t.

Due to this, I'm torn between paying for a blackberry or some other phone I'm not really interested in. The tour doesn't have WiFi, and I can't find another phone that excites me at Sprint. Hopefully they have something soon. Or I'll just bear through the Pre, being upset with it most of the time.

At this point in time, I don't know that I'll purchase another Palm phone. This has been a bad experience this far compared to the iPhone I owned for over 2 years. If only At&t was worth the money they charged.

Sprint, in my experience, is the best in my area. I've had Verizon for 2 years, At&t for over 2 years, and now Sprint for a few months. I'm happier with Sprint than I ever was with the other two in both speeds, calling, and pricing so i don't see myself wanting to leave Sprint. I do need better options in phones though.

Thanks for reading, sorry if it was too long.