Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I'll form this as a question: In the event that you use your Pre to exhaustion and it turns itself off due to a drained battery, is it absolutely necessary for this device to have to charge 10 to 15 minutes before its will to turn on while plugged in?

Simply, if you have it plugged into the wall to charge, I would expect it to be willing to power up right away, since its got wall or car power. Why would it need to charge up to a certain battery percentage before willing to turn on?

My issue is, if it does go dead, and you rush it over to power, you can't make any emergency calls, or do anything with it obviously for 10+ minutes + the long boot up time. So, I wonder why a device would need this? Is it vital? Should it be changed?
    Just happened to me 5-10 minutes ago.

Fricckin annoying
    Yea, I have been conditioning my Seidio battery by draining my phone repeatedly and it takes it a bit to turn back on. I think it does this because it takes a certain amount of power to turn on and it won't initiate a power up unless it knows it has enough power to complete a start up and shutdown.

It was probably implemented to prevent data loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Yea, I have been conditioning my Seidio battery by draining my phone repeatedly and it takes it a bit to turn back on. I think it does this because it takes a certain amount of power to turn on and it won't initiate a power up unless it knows it has enough power to complete a start up and shutdown.

What he said.

Somehow tho i have avoided this thus far (charger at work and home helps)
    You may consider picking up a spare battery to help out in a pinch or on long trips.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    definitely an inconvenience though...i had to make a call the other night because i dropped my girlfriend off and we forgot to go get her car first and i had to drive around her block for about 15 min. before the phone came on...that was a bummer
    I had it happen to me just yesterday. The first time it happens, it looks catastrophic as the screen displayed does not clearly indicate that the battery has been exhausted. I had forgotten to charge it before going to bed. I will know not to panic the next time I see that screen...
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post

These aren't NiCad batteries, they're lithium-ion. You shouldn't drain them this far, especially not on purpose. You're doing nothing but depleting the life of your battery.

Google "lithium-ion battery myths".
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Nice to see others are cursing this odd choice of behavior for a phone. And the second battery is probably the only way to combat this if you do accidently drain your battery dead. But I still don't see any reason why, once its plugged in, that it wouldn't be available to use (especially with how it currently puts on a giant red bottom battery logo at full brightness while it charges up...so it must be using some brain power to display that). It should have all the power it wants, its hooked to a wall or car battery.

And the story behind my gripe was, I was on campus at 3hr class and the building had terribly reception, so my phone killed itself trying to keep its clutches on a signal. Then it died and I was to call someone when I got out of class...and ended up driving 15 minutes or more before it charged enough up to turn on and let me call.

I did my favorite thing then: left feedback at Palms feedback and feature request Site:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyc53 View Post
    These aren't NiCad batteries, they're lithium-ion. You shouldn't drain them this far, especially not on purpose. You're doing nothing but depleting the life of your battery.

Google "lithium-ion battery myths".
    Except maybe it helps in reseting the battery 'gauge'

A quote from batteryuniversity.com:

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.)
    Most smartphones I have had have this issue when the battery completely drains. Ive had a HTC and have seen Iphones that need the same charge up time to even turn on. Its not just a PRE issue.
    I think it is DUMB...my Treo 650 would hold its information just fine. I could run the battery completely down and plug it in and have it working in 2 secs. Also I could plug it in and have the battery sitting in my hand and the phone still working...

Tried this with my pre the first time and freaked out, when I put the battery back in cause the phone went off, I freaked cause it was the first time I had ever seen the red battery screen ...eeekkk!!!

they should allow for you to plug in and then swap batteries out without having to wait for a shutdown and reboot.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Sheesh, I remember the days when you could hot-swap batteries without losing the call and without a charger. Don't really miss the AMPS service nor the micro-tac phones, but it was an awesome feature I miss.