Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    So I only just started using my Pre to listen to music. Mostly I listen in the car, and while jogging (using my First gen iPod Classic for both). But recently I've been using my Pre to minimize the amount of devices I have to carry (which now thanks to the Pre, is only one). Now I think that since my iPod is just dedicated to music, it's easier to use for listening than my Pre, which I'm usually using for something else. Lately though, I've been using my pre for jogging and in the car, and I have to say, I think it sounds better than my iPod. I use both in the same car, and with the same headphones (Apple's in ear headphones, not the stock earbuds that come with iPod) and the sound that it pumps out is more spacious, and better balanced than the iPod sound, which I generally find narrow and boomy. Anyone else experience this?
    Anything sounds better than an iPod...seriously.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    it might just be that you're biased towards the pre, but it is possible.

i'm going on a trip tomorrow. unfortunately, i'm still going to have to carry around the psp, ds lite, ipod, eeepc, digital camera, and the pre. haha.
    Are you listening to the same exact files, with the same codec, bit rate, and compression level? If not, then that's probably where the differences come from. The standard bit rate of AAC files on the iPod is way too low for high quality audio. Everything I rip myself I do at a higher bit rate for better sound.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have to agree with the OP, the Pre does sound like it has better output. My going between the two with the EXACT same files shows an obvious difference.

It actually kind of pissed me off, I love my ipods storage.. (Proud owner of the old 160 Gig)
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I had been using a iPod nano for about 6 months before getting my Pre, and the first time I plugged my Pre into my car stereo, I was blown away by how much better it sounded over the iPod.
    I'm an audiophile with very expensive headphones and I can tell you without a doubt the Pre will sound much better than a 1st gen ANYTHING... classic or nano.

The Pre's sound is actually very good. The DAC it uses is better than the headphone out of my 4th gen nano, which uses a Wolfson chip.
    The iPod actually doesn't sound all that good. A Zune blows the iPod and Pre out of the water, though...
    Sound aside, The iTouch is the media device to beat, waiting to see what the Zune HD does...
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I'm pretty picky when it comes to personal audio and use a pair of Shure SE530s with my Pre. I do agree with previous posters who say that the Pre has a much more balanced sound then iPods. I have an iPod touch 2G, and while hiss through the headphones is non-existent, the sound is not balanced at all with the bass lacking clarity and being way too boomy. The Pre has more hiss through the headphones, but the sound seems more balanced to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Sound aside, The iTouch is the media device to beat, waiting to see what the Zune HD does...
    You're crazy. My iPod Touch still freezes when it attempts to play songs encoded with a VBR.

It annoys me that some of my collection is unusable on my iPod Touch (also froze with my iPod Video, iPod Photo, and iPod Mini). Works great in iTunes, Palm Pre and Zune.

I can't wait for the Zune HD .
    it sounds better, but doesnt go anywhere near as loud. thats one thing i hate about the pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    The iPod actually doesn't sound all that good. A Zune blows the iPod and Pre out of the water, though...
    This.
    Originally posted bySuccess100:
    it sounds better, but doesnt go anywhere near as loud. thats one thing i hate about the pre
    Question. Not nearly as loud when connected to what? The iPod can only be heard when connected to an external speaker source. Is the Pre too low when connected to your car audio or headset and is it the same source that you use for the iPod?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    iTouch? What's that? Never heard of it...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    +whatever
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I've really been loving the audio quality on the Pre. The stock headphones are actually marginally useable (at least in a pinch). However, when I use my high end phones, the audio quality is quite well balanced (though there is a sligh background hiss).
    Listening to music through rose colored headphones are we?
    I will agree.

I got rid of my iPod classic cause it sounded like poo. My 20 gig iPod sounded better.

I now have a Zune 80.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I would love to find some in-ear phones with the mic built in and the switch to answer the phone. I love this function with the phones that came with the pre but they don't isolate as well as in-ears.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast