Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am also an audiophile and using my Etymotic ER4 earphones its easy to detect that the Pre uses a much more accurate DAC than my 2nd generation ipod touch. The Apple DAC pumps up the low frequency spectrum (bass) to try to make their crappy earphones that they ship with their units sound better.

That being said, Palm needs to include a graphic equalizer in the music app to really satisfy the true audiophile.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    I would love to find some in-ear phones with the mic built in and the switch to answer the phone. I love this function with the phones that came with the pre but they don't isolate as well as in-ears.
    These are about the best you can do
    Etymotic Research, Inc. - hf2™ Headset + Earphones
    but still lacking a bit compared to the ER4's
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Etymotic Research, Inc. - hf2„ Headset + Earphones
    Don't the se530's have an adapter that works with their modular design?

The Shure's are great way to show the noise floor of the Pre as their impedance is so low. But for pure audio quality reproduction testing I use my JH-13 Pro's. And the result was pretty damn good.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Etymotic Research, Inc. - hf2™ Headset + Earphones
    Amazon has the hf2 for $122.99. Looks like they were $180 not very long ago.
    Etymotic Research, Inc. - hf2„ Headset + Earphones
    Agree that the Etymotics are one of the top choices available, but disagree entirely on that last part. I had the ER4P and now have the hf2, and I actually prefer the sound on the hf2. The hf2 in fact uses the same drivers as the ER4P as well, though they are not hand-matched on the hf2 (and of course, the driver isn't the only factor in sound quality). They're a little less detailed on the high-end in my opinion, but the ER4P could be overly harsh on some recordings anyway. The bass is also a little bit stronger, in my opinion. But honestly, they're 99.9% the same as the ER4P.

Combine that with the mic, better cable (microphonics are decreased a ton, but not completely on the hf2), and a design that doesn't protrude nearly as much, and the hf2 is the clear winner.

The only issue I have with the hf2 is that I'm a little concerned of the durability of the cable at the connector end, it's very thin, but it hasn't been an issue yet.

The other thing which is unrelated to the Etymotics but instead related to the Pre is that since there's no feedback with pressing the button, it's impossible to tell if a double-tap was registered and the track is skipping, or if it's been paused. And also, if you pause using the button and then expect to unpause using the button again, you'd better hope the screen hasn't turned off in the meantime. It's been my experience that the resume functionality hasn't worked unless the screen is still on.

Also, still haven't found the perfect eartip. The Comply foam aftermarket ones are the most comfortable, but they get gross fast. Not a fan of the Shure black foam ones like most people are. My favorites right now are the Klipsch oval ones, but since they're only a single or double-flange, they don't block out quite as much noise, and more earwax gets into the filter (instead of getting on the tip). Etymotic's 'frost 3-flange eartips' are what I'm using now. Not quite as comfortable as the Klipsch ones or the Comply ones, but they do last longer than Comply foam ones, and block out sound better than the Klipsch ones. I'm tempted to just give in and get custom molds done. In the long run, it'd probably be worth it anyway.

Edit: And also, I agree with the main premise of this thread, the iPod has subpar audio quality and the Pre is much better. I've never had a chance to try any of the higher quality dedicated media players to compare to though - for example, I hear Cowon makes some really high sound quality stuff.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 08/26/2009 at 11:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Are you listening to the same exact files, with the same codec, bit rate, and compression level? If not, then that's probably where the differences come from. The standard bit rate of AAC files on the iPod is way too low for high quality audio. Everything I rip myself I do at a higher bit rate for better sound.

Yeah I thought about that, at first I was just listening to 256kbps AAC Files, but for a real comparison I ripped some CD's in Lossless. The Pre's amp and DAC definitely sound a bit higher quality.
    I would love to find some in-ear phones with the mic built in and the switch to answer the phone. I love this function with the phones that came with the pre but they don't isolate as well as in-ears.
    If you want to go for it all, these are the best IEM's with a mic money can buy. ER's are great but Ue's are the best by far.

Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi Description - Store - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLI NR70v>CLI TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Also, still haven't found the perfect eartip.
    I have a pair of Sure E-1's that I've had for years. Had the ear molds done and love them. I'm having trouble finding a US company to do customs for the hf2's. I found a UK company, I guess that would be ok. Would prefer not to have to deal with shipping across the pond but it may be my only choice.

edit: I just realized I kind of hi-jacked this thread...my apologies. I can't compare the pre with the ipod but I can say that the pre sounds a gazillion times better in my car than sirius sat radio. So much so that I'm not renewing my sirius subscription when it runs out.
    Last edited by bakerja; 08/26/2009 at 01:33 PM.
    Actually it's the iPod that's worse. I have an iPod video and was contemplating upgrading to the classic. I happened upon the Apple forums where I found that the classic had a lower quality audio chip. After going into an Apple store and comparing the 2, 1 in 1 ear, 1 in the other. I could totally tell the difference, it was just a much richer sound with the video, over the classic.
    Palm Pre Audio quality is dank
    Ipod just as better os for music
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8spik098 View Post
    Palm Pre Audio quality is dank
    Ipod just as better os for music
    Arrrgh, I always forget the dank to kbps conversion ratio.
    I have a pair of Sure E-1's that I've had for years. Had the ear molds done and love them. I'm having trouble finding a US company to do customs for the hf2's. I found a UK company, I guess that would be ok. Would prefer not to have to deal with shipping across the pond but it may be my only choice.

edit: I just realized I kind of hi-jacked this thread...my apologies. I can't compare the pre with the ipod but I can say that the pre sounds a gazillion times better in my car than sirius sat radio. So much so that I'm not renewing my sirius subscription when it runs out.
    The hf2 has the same barrel size for the tip as the ER4 series, so anything that works on the ER4 should work on the hf2.

But there's also this company which directly references the hf2: ListenHear - Custom Earmolds for Headphones

I just wish there was somewhere close to me that did the actual impressions for cheap.
    Ear molds are great, but have you considered just going with a full on custom? You can get a Jerry Harvy JH5 for around $399.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    Ear molds are great, but have you considered just going with a full on custom? You can get a Jerry Harvy JH5 for around $399.
    ... With absolutely no resale value, no built-in microphone or call answer button, and for 1.5x the cost of the hf2 plus custom molds.

Plus, I like the Etymotic sound signature and so for me it'd be tough to do much better.
    I use my Pre with AtomicBass earphones and think it sounds absolutely fantastic for a phone. Much better than the iPod shuffles I owned (Gen 1's though) and a bit better than my iRiver Clix. Not quite as good as my Zune 80, but no that far off which really impresses me. Of course my Zune doesn't have Pandora so my Pre certainly wins out in a number of listening scenarios
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    ... With absolutely no resale value, no built-in microphone or call answer button, and for 1.5x the cost of the hf2 plus custom molds.

Plus, I like the Etymotic sound signature and so for me it'd be tough to do much better.
    My point exactly. The mic and switch are essential.

Ah sure, I was looking at it more from a sound quality perspective. I had ER-6i's, the ety sound is very clear but really lacking bass.

But I don't use the microphone attachment stuff so that wasn't a priority for me.
    Old thread to dredge up, but I hope you guys are right and the above holds. I am hovering between an iphone 3gs, htc desire and pre plus as a new phone which will have to replace the ipod 5g (the first one with video) that I lost recently, as an mp3 player. I value my Etymotic ER4P / S headphones way over any phone I'll ever buy so they have to work nicely together. The shop here let me play with a HTC desire, and I was a bit worried about the sound quality when watching a podcast there (not high quality but it really sounded pap). That's pretty much enough to toss it out as a contender.

Unfortunately none of the shops around here have a pre plus to test out, so I'll wait a while longer; sucks because I really want to like the Pre but the salesmanship around here is lacking...
    If all you so called audiophiles here know your sh**... Then you should know Cowon and Sony make the best sounding music players. Apple is the worst of the worst with maybe a Jenson player being worse lol. The Pre does sound decent but like stated before it just doesn't get loud enough for my liking. If you want to get some good in ear earbuds for a dramatically cheaper price than retail then look at the Monster Turbine Pro Copper earbuds that retail for like $400, but you can get them for less than $200 on ebay. Another pair worthy at looking into is the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Pros. They are among the best of the best when it comes to mids and highs. Plus you can get a pair for like $175 off ebay when they too retail for $400.
    Hi Thrasherx2k1. I don't think we are expecting miracles, just it would be nice to have the Pre as a 'good enough' music player that I can actually load some mp3s on and enjoy during my commute, rather than thinking 'man this sounds baaaad' which, for instance, happens with my current phone.

2nd hand headphones? You're braver than me
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast