Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What is funny, most of the total D-bags on this forum joined in 09.

To the OP, Palm has until the Hero to get their act together. If things remain unchanged by then I'll probably jump ship.

Regardless of what the Pre defense force here says Palm has a lot of work to do to catch other devices it is competing with. Palm's lack of communication does nothing to help their cause and so far the updates have been a joke, just like the SDK. Unlike Garnet, Palm has neutered what they will allow developers to do so third parties will not be able to save the OS's core functions.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    If your wanting palm to hear your complaints, why post here, post this on Palms website. There have been several solutions rolling out on both palms side and homebrews side, so saying we need to do something instead of defending it, well we are doing something. No, I am not saying it doesn't have faults, and yes, I returned mine, it was defective, and got a well built one that palm fixed. They knew the initial manurfacturing problems obviously, otherwise we would have seen the same ole stuff again instead of 'good phones'. We are not fanboys, we understand what happens when a brand new generation of phone comes out, it's going to have issues that need to be worked out. And for your other remarks, childish is posting saying I leaving, who's with me....come on...pot calling kettle black. Your dislikes should be aimed at palm, not here where people are making the best out of thier phone and enjoying doing so. With that said, yes it's a public forum, you can say what you want and so can I.
    tntsniper,

I'm sure that a lot of people agree with some of your criticisms. I think that what prompted the flames was your melodromatic thread title and the fact that many are very happy with the phone and confident that Palm and/or developers will address most of the shortcoming. That's not you, so they are not with you. No surprise there.

As for myself, being outside the US, I can't wait to give it a first chance.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I love my Pre.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    This PHONE is coming as a competitor to the iPhone. It PLACED itself in this position. It has a GREAT advantage over the 1st gen iPhone, it has a model to base itself off of.

Palm went into this knowing what it was competing against. All of these "Updates" that "should" be coming, should have come OUT. The Wiki has fixed most of it.. but thats not fair to people who aren't tech savvy. Palm is p*ssing around with this and its not good.

I mean seriously? How hard would it have been for them to enable forwarding? What about the App limitations? This stuff should have been addressed.

Great real people. The phone really isn't on-par with other devices right now. Once again, Palm knew what they were getting themselves into and they rushed it too much. They should have had WAY more then 41 apps developed before the first day of launch, let alone 3 months later.

Wanna wait a couple mins for an app to load? Wanna restart your phone due to a glitch? Well be prepared to wait a few min. How can we sit here and not be disappointed? Are you people nuts? I swear, some of you hate to realize that what you have bought has problems, or that other devices better it in certain aspects. So instead of posting, combining to create solutions, writing palm and getting the solution known, you'd rather post on how "Your an ***** for not liking the direction Palms in".. The only way your not an ***** is if your a biased fan boy.

Just like when people started posting about washed out screens, oreo problems, restarts when closing the keyboard. SAME responses "We'll cya", "Goodbye", "Stop complaining", "Don't need ya". All of you sound like foolish children.

Seems like 90% of you were wrong, since Palm actually listened to the people who had huge MFG problems. If we took your route, you'd rather return your phone 50000x's, hold your pride in, and then say "Well I never had a problem with my phone". When we all know that if we went through your post history, you too, returned your phone, but you just hate to admit it was defective.

Solve the solutions and stop acting like children. Let people post their opinions, it may actually push Palm to do more.
    Personally it is all about how you look at things. Some would say that the iPhone is way more polished over the Pre, thus the reason you'd state the Pre is so far behind. Where is the polish? In the app store? The app store that didn't exist a full year until after the iPhone existed. That app store now provides an application for everything imaginable. But, as you said, Palm had to go into this knowing that Apple was already established and far ahead in the marketplace. But, as Palm, could you continue to delay to ensure everything was perfect before launching? Its not practical, thus you have to draw your line as to what has to be there and continue to roll out enhancements over time.

I prefer to compare the underlying potential. The hardware is far from perfect, this much I will agree with. But Palm isn't necessarily betting on the hardware as much as the underlying operating system and potential. This is version 3.0 of the iPhone OS and yet no multitasking capabilities. Would one not really question how Apple could possibly have three opportunities at getting things right and yet still not support multitasking? Took the third attempt to provide video capabilities. Not to mention that a lot of the capabilities required new hardware to boot. These same comparisons could be made for RIM, who just recently purchased a company that specializes in creating apps around the Webkit browser. Sound familiar?

I think it comes down to an "each to their own" philosophy. I prefer to be along for the ride, experiencing new functionality as its released. And if it doesn't happen...if the Pre becomes the Instinct (as you provided for comparison), then look on the bright side; this will be the last Palm any of us will ever own.
    You know, its threads like this where I wish we had a more modern forum system. Something like a Slashdot-like, self-moderated system where people can bury useless threads. As it is now, forums like these give the average person a far too tall of a soapbox to scream off of. The only way to remove such drivel is to wait for the flaming to reach a point where the few and overworked moderators swing the Closed hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  7.    #27  
    I think a lot of you are getting defensive with me. I said I think the pre is a great device.. Please read that first. Second, I'm just unhappy with certain aspects of this device. I've divulged some aspects of why I'm unhappy. A few more;

Universal search isn't really Universal

Synergy isn't really 100%. They have left a lot of holes.

The calendar:
    -It is suppose to send reminders to clients that you may be late for a meeting by calculating GPS and your destination point. Where is this?
    -SLOW. I have 5 Calendars on my Pre. I can't swipe to the next day or the very next day until its all loaded. It takes a LONG TIME, WAY TO LONG. They are all done through Google Calendar too!

Copy and Paste, not good by any means.

Saving images in the browser

GPU access/Low Level Access. This is one killer for me. This is ONE thing I have NO idea why palm left out. Why would they add hardware that isn't supported, or may not be supported for a year. It may not even be supported for longer! WebGL has a definitive date of early 2010, but a lot of its supporters have backed down due to Googles new WebGL form. Complicates things. Anyways, having this feature would be a great battery saver and make the pre so much snappier, plus it'd be good for game devs.

Battery life isn't good at all.

We are starting to see Apps (not just home brew) that are repeating the same concepts. It seems like this is what we'll be seeing a lot of. There's only so much you can do with the "Cloud" concept. After that, it can only be copied, slightly improved and updated. Soon we'll have apps to goto every single webpage on the web, so we may not need a browser!

Limitations on Apps. Such as access to certain hardware, etc

Build Quality is a huge issue. I feel like my pre is getting worse weekly.

In general, Palm doesn't seem to "Excited" to be pumping out things. If I were Palm, I'd try and be more Energetic about everything. Jump on getting apps out, show initiative, show enthusiasm, be energetic. BE OPEN. Communicate, update, etc. These are things that will excite and invigorate consumers! Enthusiasm and the willingness to be open is a MUST for Palm. They are hiding a lot of information and I think theres good reason. I have stock in Palm I want to know device sales, are they there? No. As a consumer I want to be updated, informed, aware, etc. Let people become acquainted with a whole new Palm.

They seem like they don't care! Look at these ad's.. They are HORRENDOUS! They try and justify the ad's, but to me (Accounting/marketing graduate) Palm doesn't want to admit they did something wrong (They are afraid there is no room).

Anyways, I should have known better to post this here, too many Children here. I've been here what? 6-7 years I believe? (Treo central) I've never seen a community like this come from the old Treo-Central. Harsh, Childish, deficient, brainless, etc in their responses. Usually, the old community, we would help each other out.

This seems to be the direction a lot of communities are heading towards. I've been a LONG time HUGE contributor to Howardforums.com.. I've been there 7 years and its been facing a lot of hardships also.
    Last edited by tntsniper; 08/25/2009 at 10:43 PM.
    Cool, cya and good luck with your new device.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I can not believe that this thread has taken up two pages!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    You know, its threads like this where I wish we had a more modern forum system. Something like a Slashdot-like, self-moderated system where people can bury useless threads. As it is now, forums like these give the average person a far too tall of a soapbox to scream off of. The only way to remove such drivel is to wait for the flaming to reach a point where the few and overworked moderators swing the Closed hammer.
    Yea you're right. I think members that have been here Shorter then 5 years should be limited in what they can post. That way we don't have to worry about an Average person/member.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksixftfour View Post
    I can not believe that this thread has taken up two pages!
    I can't believe you wasted your 4th post on this thread. Thanks
    Yea you're right. I think members that have been here Shorter then 5 years should be limited in what they can post. That way we don't have to worry about an Average person/member.
    If you feel a little number off to the left determines the validity of someone's argument, then I will leave you to your thread. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    I think a lot of you are getting defensive with me. I said I think the pre is a great device.. Please read that first. Second, I'm just unhappy with certain aspects of this device. I've divulged some aspects of why I'm unhappy. A few more;

Universal search isn't really Universal

Synergy isn't really 100%. They have left a lot of holes.

The calendar:
    -It is suppose to send reminders to clients that you may be late for a meeting by calculating GPS and your destination point. Where is this?
    -SLOW. I have 5 Calendars on my Pre. I can't swipe to the next day or the very next day until its all loaded. It takes a LONG TIME, WAY TO LONG. They are all done through Google Calendar too!

Copy and Paste, not good by any means.

Saving images in the browser

GPU access/Low Level Access. This is one killer for me. This is ONE thing I have NO idea why palm left out. Why would they add hardware that isn't supported, or may not be supported for a year. It may not even be supported for longer! WebGL has a definitive date of early 2010, but a lot of its supporters have backed down due to Googles new WebGL form. Complicates things. Anyways, having this feature would be a great battery saver and make the pre so much snappier, plus it'd be good for game devs.

Battery life isn't good at all.

We are starting to see Apps (not just home brew) that are repeating the same concepts. It seems like this is what we'll be seeing a lot of. There's only so much you can do with the "Cloud" concept. After that, it can only be copied, slightly improved and updated. Soon we'll have apps to goto every single webpage on the web, so we may not need a browser!

Limitations on Apps. Such as access to certain hardware, etc

Build Quality is a huge issue. I feel like my pre is getting worse weekly.

In general, Palm doesn't seem to "Excited" to be pumping out things. If I were Palm, I'd try and be more Energetic about everything. Jump on getting apps out, show initiative, show enthusiasm, be energetic. BE OPEN. Communicate, update, etc. These are things that will excite and invigorate consumers! Enthusiasm and the willingness to be open is a MUST for Palm. They are hiding a lot of information and I think theres good reason. I have stock in Palm I want to know device sales, are they there? No. As a consumer I want to be updated, informed, aware, etc. Let people become acquainted with a whole new Palm.

They seem like they don't care! Look at these ad's.. They are HORRENDOUS! They try and justify the ad's, but to me (Accounting/marketing graduate) Palm doesn't want to admit they did something wrong (They are afraid there is no room).

Anyways, I should have known better to post this here, too many Children here. I've been here what? 6-7 years I believe? (Treo central) I've never seen a community like this come from the old Treo-Central. Harsh, Childish, deficient, brainless, etc in their responses. Usually, the old community, we would help each other out.

This seems to be the direction a lot of communities are heading towards. I've been a LONG time HUGE contributor to Howardforums.com.. I've been there 7 years and its been facing a lot of hardships also.
    My sole question is how can you call the device "great" and then go on with a giant list of things the are missing or don't function efficiently? It seems like a bit of a contradiction to me. No disrespect to you. I'm just asking.
    I cannot appreciate homebrew without purchasing a computer to download them. That kind of defeats the purpose of a Smartphone. As a former Instinct sucker, I too am worried about slowness and delays as a method of operation for "official supported Palm material." Heck, I am still waiting for an mp3 upgrade, or Flash so I can listen to my favorite radio station KSL 1160 AM for more than 42 sec. This phone, with all of its limitations, including lack of PDF viewing, is far from being a "smartphone." So, until it earns that title, please refer to it as only a work in process. I was burned so bad with the Instinct, I have some of the same worries as tntster. My question is this. What calendar date can someone give me as to when the Pre will become an actual Smartphone and the app store will be significantly supported. I believe Sprint and Palm at least owe us some target dates...time to cut the bs and deliver. As loyal customers we deserve it!
    Hi all,

Can I ask a question without trying to sound like a smart ***?

Has Palm actually come out and said that they want to go head to head with the I-Phone, or that they are going to be the I-Phone killer or is it just the techy guys who coined that phrase and we just adopted it as the truth?

Secondly (again not trying to sound like a smart ***), but aren't these devices called "Smart Phones"? Meaning that they are a phone first and anything else is a bonus? If we really want to have computers built into our phones and expect them to work like a computer........well then why aren't people just looking at getting a netbook with Skype built into it as their phone choice?

Okay I realize that the netbooks don't quite look so hot hanging off of your belt when walking down the street, but isn't this what we are all expecting our phones to be?

Oh and yes I am an 09 joiner to this club, but in the past 20 years of owning cell phones I've never had a Palm and therefore had know need to look in here.

Come to think of it, I still don't have a Palm!!! Damn Bell Mobility and their August 27th launch date!

Anyway not trying to poke anyone with a stick here, just my lack of knowledge about what was actually said by Palm.
    Despite of the defenses in this thread I'm gonna have to agree with the OP. My Pre has amazed me in a lot of aspects but it leaves more holes than they filled. I'm not gonna make a full list cuz I know its not anything you have never heard before so I'll just state my nedds not being fullfilled. I have come from ol slow clunky windows mobile and I was dying to get out due to me getting fed up with the horrible UI and many tweaks needed to make it run well, but since I got the Pre I have missed having a device worthy of the name PocketPC. I sold my laptop cuz I did not need it back when I had my mogul and since I got the Pre it feels more like a 'fancy Phone' rather than a PDA or what not

-you have mass storage capabilities but no file browser
    -you have a cpu nearly identical to the 3GS but no hardware acceleration
    -you have a cool music player but no progress bar that you can move
    -no native web uploading / downloading (huge for me)

There are a few more but the point it thay I know its a 1.0 device and I'm gonna wait a couple of months to see what's in store for us and to see what palm has up their sleeves. But if it looks like a long uphill journey, I'm polly jumping on the Touch Pro 2 wagon, I know its winmo but I know for a fact that it can fill all my current needs in a PDA device. After all I bought an expensive piece of hardware and software to enjoy it now, not wait a year to have it considered 'ready for primetime'

I'm rooting for Palm cuz I'm not syched about going back to winmo, but if I must then I will
    -
    Last edited by Mike20PR; 08/26/2009 at 12:07 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    The thread is going no where - closed.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12