Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy72 View Post
    If you download WebOS quick install you don't need to root your phone to install these GREAT apps. As for adding extra pages and making ur icons 5X4 all you need todo is go into tweaks on WebOS and check the tweaks you want to apply
    Did you have to root to use the tethering?? Or is there a tweak in the Quick Install?

Thanks
  2.    #22  
    If you go to My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - My Tether turns your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router! and make a $10 donation you will have access to the NON ROOTING edition....IT IS WELL WORTH THE $10 FOR SUCH A GREAT APP!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccureton View Post

number 1... hold the orange button and you can move throught the text box by sliding on the touchscreen
    omg I didn't know that, awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy72 View Post
    If you download WebOS quick install you don't need to root your phone to install these GREAT apps. As for adding extra pages and making ur icons 5X4 all you need todo is go into tweaks on WebOS and check the tweaks you want to apply
    That is so cool! I was looking for a way to add launcher pages without rooting. I had an older version of WebOS installed and didn't realize they added tweaks to it. I added one page and have it set up for homebrew apps only.

I'm trying to decide if I like the 5x4 icons or not...on the plus side it uses space more efficiently, the minus side is they are a little too small to see without reading glasses.

Love the improvements!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I like the 5x4 icons or not...on the plus side it uses space more efficiently, the minus side is they are a little too small to see without reading glasses.

Love the improvements!
    I used the 5x4 setup for about a week but I found it was difficult to reliably hit the smaller icons. In the end I changed a few constants in the patch to get a 4 x 4 arrangement that allows lots of icons on a page AND is easy to read/use.

Hopefully Palm will add the option to change the page layout to 3/4/5 icons per row.
    I must agree with the OP you guys have taken homebrew apps to another level. Everyone of you should be proud of what you have accomplished and I hope all of them end up in the real app store in the near future. As much as i love the idea of being able to try an app before having to pay for it, I would still like to see the all the Dev.s get somehting in return for thier time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    I used the 5x4 setup for about a week but I found it was difficult to reliably hit the smaller icons.
    Yeah, I noticed that when I was dragging some of the icons to a new page. It seemed to have trouble recognizing my tap and drag.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I loved my Pre, and then I started 1) downloading Homebrew apps and 2) rooting. Now I love it even more. Great job with all these tweaks, hacks and apps, everyone.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Yeah, unfortunately I had to turn the 5x4 icons off and go back to the original. 50% of the time I would end up launching the app next to the one I wanted.

Too bad they couldn't offer different options like 4x4.
    Nice thread! Thanks
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately I had to turn the 5x4 icons off and go back to the original. 50% of the time I would end up launching the app next to the one I wanted. Too bad they couldn't offer different options like 4x4.
    I don't like the 5x4 layout, either. I think it's too small, and I'd also prefer 4x4. I saw elsewhere in the forums that someone has customized the CSS file on their Pre for 4x4, but it isn't a patch yet. Hopefully someone will add that possibility eventually.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    I don't like the 5x4 layout, either. I think it's too small, and I'd also prefer 4x4. I saw elsewhere in the forums that someone has customized the CSS file on their Pre for 4x4, but it isn't a patch yet. Hopefully someone will add that possibility eventually.

Rob
    It isn't quite that simple. There are changes required to the javascript files as well. If anybody is interested I could do a quick modified version of the current patch for 4x4 (or just give a line of line changes)
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    It isn't quite that simple. There are changes required to the javascript files as well. If anybody is interested I could do a quick modified version of the current patch for 4x4 (or just give a line of line changes)
    Thanks. I'd definitely be interested in either method (a patch or line-by-line changes).

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberelex View Post
    There is a text fowarding tweak available already. it works great too!!
    Cyberelex,

That text forwarding tweak requires rooting; they haven't incorporated that into WebOS Quick Install yet right?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I've checked the box to add more launcher pages in WebOS Quick Install. So how does it work on the phone? I can only swipe to the three existing pages and can't move icons to add another page.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sixfeet76 View Post
    I've checked the box to add more launcher pages in WebOS Quick Install. So how does it work on the phone? I can only swipe to the three existing pages and can't move icons to add another page.
    Now when you open the launcher, in the "LAUNCHER" menu, top left, should be new menu items for adding/removing pages.
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccureton View Post
    numbers 2, 3, and 4 can be taken care of using the latest version of WebOS quick install

number 1... hold the orange button and you can move throught the text box by sliding on the touchscreen
    There is no fix for number 2.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    There is no fix for number 2.
    You're right I misunderstood the problem at first.
    Last edited by ccureton; 08/26/2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: "Your" doesnt equal "You are"
    So still can't add more apps then what Palm has allowed in the partitioning?....dang that sucks...dang you Palm (for a Smart one with an awesome phone/idea, they sure are DUMB)
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    Thanks. I'd definitely be interested in either method (a patch or line-by-line changes).

Rob
    No problem. After installing the 5 icon per row patch ( Patch Launcher To Allow More Icons Per Row - WebOS Internals ) make the following changes:

File: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs
    Line 19: Change 'kPageIndicatorSpacing: 1' to 'kPageIndicatorSpacing: 3'
    Line 402: Change 'this.kAppWidth = 55' to 'this.kAppWidth = 72'
    Line 404: Change 'this.kAppsPerRow = 5' to 'this.kAppsPerRow = 4'

File: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/stylesheets/launcher.css
    Line 119: Change 'top: 48px' to 'top: 56px'
    Line 120: Change 'width:100px' to 'width:80px'
    Line 128: Change 'font-size: 9px' to 'font-size: 12px'
    Line 151: Change 'width:48px' to 'width:56px'
    Line 152: Change 'height:48px' to 'height:56px'
    Line 195: Change 'width:48px' to 'width:56px'
    Line 196: Change 'height:48px' to 'height:56px'

Line 120: Add the following line ' left:12px;'

Note that you'll need to make the root directory writable before doing these changes. Reboot and you should have four icons per line. Note that all these changes (except the last one) only involve changing the number on the line - all existing formatting, other characters on the line etc should be maintained as-is.

Gotta love just how hackable the Pre is! This is the big reason why I prefer the Pre to the iPhone (well, and having a real keyboard).
    Last edited by dbh123; 08/27/2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Fix line numbers 420,422 --> 402,404, removed unnecessary edit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12