Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cjdaniel
  • 1 Post By copasetic
  • 1 Post By Mikey47
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I am now on board with the group that needs a back up for Pre like Palm Desktop. Also a need for navigation without touchscreen.

As of yesterday, my touch screen stopped working. I know many people here believe the cloud is enough, the problem is that it doesn't really cover enough apps. Also I have no access to my music or more importantly my pictures.

I am avid photographer and I love and use the pre for some amazing shots, also to record my life. While I do from time to time back up my pictures, I don't do it everyday.

I am now stuck with a phone that turns on (won't turn off) and the touchscreen no longer works. Now I can do many things but retrieving my photos is not one of them. With every Treo we have owned we were able to completely navigate the entire phone with keys. There is no reason that the center ball could not be used as a mouse.

Things that are not backed up that I need backed up... pictures and memos. I use memos like crazy to keep track of ip addresses and IT information for my network at work.

Just venting... I love my pre but I am in the mountains and stuck...
    QB Finest likes this.
    The problem with using the center ball for navigation is that its not a ball, its just a button.

With the touchscreen craze, i'm afraid the pre is much more reliant on the touchscreen than the past Treos.
    Am I missing something here? If your touchscreen doesn't work, why have you not returned it to Sprint for a new Pre?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Just hook your phone up via USB to get the pictures off. Memos you are probably SOL. It's not a cloud failure...it's a failure of Palm not adding this to the backup list.
    Umm... he can't hook it up via usb. When you do that, you have to click on the touchscreen whether you want it in USB mode or to just charge it. Without being able to touch USB mode, he's SOL. There's really no reason whatsoever why you should have to switch between modes. It's asinine. And, palm backup sucks. I had to replace my Pre and it really ticked me off that the web browser favorites don't backup. WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by backlund View Post
    Umm... he can't hook it up via usb. When you do that, you have to click on the touchscreen whether you want it in USB mode or to just charge it. Without being able to touch USB mode, he's SOL. There's really no reason whatsoever why you should have to switch between modes. It's asinine. And, palm backup sucks. I had to replace my Pre and it really ticked me off that the web browser favorites don't backup. ***?
    Maybe connect and hit Opt+Sym+U to send it to USB mode? Then you could at least copy files off
    QB Finest likes this.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    My screen cracked last night and it's not really working. I really would like to get my memos, I was able to get it into USB mode and copied everything that I was able to to my PC but does anyone know where those are stored?
    Cheers,

Peaty
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    went looking and found the Memo data base mine is named

MemosDB%2DPMem_86C00000

and it's found:

*\palmos\datamgr\PALM_DM

I opened that file with the notepad and although everything is kind of jumbled it's there.

I tried the opt+sym+U but could not get that to work. Now I have to decide if I want another Pre or something else. I love my pre and have had a PP since 96, it's going to be a touch decision...

I hope the OP was able to get the USB to work with the key strokes. I too am a photographer and was able to get my photos off.

Well I'm off to the sprint store now.
    Cheers,

Peaty
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Just a quick follow up. I went to the local sprint store that does repairs. I had the screen replaced within 30 min. I'm back in business and a happy camper. Nothing was lost of course since it's the same phone. It's obviously a used screen because it has some chips and stuff but I'm just happy I didn't' loose anything. I do have insurance and it was all free. I know people tend to bag on Sprint but they were very helpful. I did look at other phones while I was waiting but could not find anything I like better. I hope the OP has the same luck I did.
    Cheers,

Peaty
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    As of yesterday, my touch screen stopped working.
    Might be a silly question, but how did it stop working? Was it dropped, or did is simply just seem to stop responding?

The reason I ask, is that I have had the "just stop responding" happen to me three times over the past six months and I have a very unorthodox "fix" that has worked all three times (and once for my cousin on her Pre).

Open the slider and slam it shut pretty darn hard, test touch screen, repeat...

The first time this happened to me, I thought my Pre was done for, so after trying to do everything I could think of to get the touchscreen working again I slammed it closed in frustration ... only to have it immediately start working. Since then this has happened two more times and this method has fixed it.

Last weekend at a family get together, my cousin complained her touchscreen wasn't working on her Pre. I asked if I could take a look and performed this method (took slamming hers about 3 times), but it did just suddenly start working again.

Not proud of this "fix", and I know it means there is something physical wrong inside somewhere, but I am limping along and don't want to have to replace for a refurb if I don't have to.
    QB Finest likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Might be a silly question, but how did it stop working? Was it dropped, or did is simply just seem to stop responding?

The reason I ask, is that I have had the "just stop responding" happen to me three times over the past six months and I have a very unorthodox "fix" that has worked all three times (and once for my cousin on her Pre).

Open the slider and slam it shut pretty darn hard, test touch screen, repeat...

The first time this happened to me, I thought my Pre was done for, so after trying to do everything I could think of to get the touchscreen working again I slammed it closed in frustration ... only to have it immediately start working. Since then this has happened two more times and this method has fixed it.

Last weekend at a family get together, my cousin complained her touchscreen wasn't working on her Pre. I asked if I could take a look and performed this method (took slamming hers about 3 times), but it did just suddenly start working again.

Not proud of this "fix", and I know it means there is something physical wrong inside somewhere, but I am limping along and don't want to have to replace for a refurb if I don't have to.
    You may want to look at the date on that OP, it's from over a year ago.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    All in all, "slamming" is not a fix!

Sounds like the ribbon that connects the touchscreen controller board to the cpu board made it's way out of the connector. Slamming just shakes it enough so it goes back into the connector making the appropriate contacts.

I've been dismantling mine several times down to the cpu board removal. It happened once after remounting all the parts back that the touchscreen would become unresponsive. Just had to take it apart one more time to tighten the ribbon into the connector and voilą!

Taking the device apart is not for the average joe (although separating the screen from the rest of the device just involves 4 screws and 2 connectors and a lot of care and patience), so you may just have to live with that fix as you suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    Maybe connect and hit Opt+Sym+U to send it to USB mode? Then you could at least copy files off
    Thanks! I was able to Opt+Sym+U and back up all my stuff before taking to Sprint!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Am I missing something here? If your touchscreen doesn't work, why have you not returned it to Sprint for a new Pre?
    Because she is like me and once you have it past years, you cant return it unless you have insurance which many wouldn't for an old phone, so she is in the same situation as me...its crazy they even waste their time making phones like these...they don't last long at all!