Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Google Maps Adds Traffic Conditions to Major Roads - Google Maps - Lifehacker

Google Maps, including the app currently on the Pre, now includes traffic for major roads along with freeways and interstates. Pretty handy, and very nice that updates to Google Maps show up on the Pre automatically. Now if we could just get streetview...
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Streetview would be cool, but I'd just like to see it find my current location a little closer than 2 miles off. Sprint Nav and other apps don't have a problem with it, just Google Maps.
    Also memory.
    Laissez Faire
    i think gps has to be enabled to get a more accurate location
    Traffic conditions have been available (at least on the mobile version) for Google Maps for a long time. I remember using it on the instinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Traffic conditions have been available (at least on the mobile version) for Google Maps for a long time. I remember using it on the instinct.
    True. This new release, however, is more about two new features: (1) traffic conditions are now available for non-major roads and (2) Google now "crowdsources" your data based on your GPS location/speed (if you have the "My Location" feature turned on) and uses it so update the traffic conditions being reported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I never had traffic on roads until today. Only highways.
    available on winmo for the last two years also
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I don't see any kind of update on the phone, just ran an update check.

And I've had traffic on the phone since the day it came out, you just goto the menu and enable it.
    Is this why it wouldn't load up yesterday?? They were updating it?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    available on winmo for the last two years also
    So winmo has been giving you traffic on your major roads before today? My versions of google maps on Winmo didn't do that. These are server side updates, not turning on a feature everyone else has had until now. The Pre has done traffic on major highways since launch, and Windows Mobile has been doing that for atleast 2 years if not more. I open up Google Maps today and I'm getting traffic on roads that never had traffic data before. In Southern California this is a huge help as alot of our traffic is on our roads, so it really helps you plan your route better.

Read the story before replying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    I don't see any kind of update on the phone, just ran an update check.

And I've had traffic on the phone since the day it came out, you just goto the menu and enable it.
    It's not a software update, it's a server update. They added more data, your phone has the software to pull this data already, they just weren't serving it until today.
    I hate GM on the Pre. Loved it on all my other phones...

1. The Traffic overlay covers all the road signs. Who in the heck is the brilliant developer that thought that would be a good idea?!?!? In a major city that has highways all over the place, it's quite important to be able to see the what road is what.

2. Lack of favorites. There are traffic hot spots I like to check everyday before and after I commute. Leaving out favorites makes this very challenging for me.

3. Leaving out a + / - option for zooming. Yes, I know the pre is multi-touch and has 'pinch' and all that jazz. Pinch is cool, but not effective for one hand use.
    The + / - was EASY and Effective. Bring it back, it didn't take up too much real estate.
    i agree.. above
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)