Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Today I received a replacement Pre from Asurion, due to my original getting water damaged. I paid $100, which in my mind is a lot better than paying for a new one at full retail price. I thought they would be sending me a refurbished Pre, but they sent me a BRAND NEW one with free overnight shipping. And this thing is rock solid. I can definitely tell that Palm has improved something. I'm not saying my original Pre was in bad shape, but this one feels much nicer than that one ever did.

The slider has not play at all, the screen is perfect; no dead pixels, yellow heat marks, or dust particles.
    It's the luck of the draw. Depends on their stock. It can be either new or refurb. The same goes with replacements from Sprint. All these people that have exchanged over 3-5 pre's a piece have pretty much garaunteed Sprint has a decent amount of refurbs for now.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Yes, I know. I was actually hoping for a refurbished Pre after hearing the improvements Palm was doing to them. I really didn't want to take a chance with a new one, because I was remember the issues people were having within the first month of launch. So I was definitely shocked and happy that I got a new Pre with no issues.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Congrats....a solid Pre makes the sun shine a little brighter!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mherald81 View Post
    Yes, I know. I was actually hoping for a refurbished Pre after hearing the improvements Palm was doing to them. I really didn't want to take a chance with a new one, because I was remember the issues people were having within the first month of launch. So I was definitely shocked and happy that I got a new Pre with no issues.
    I really don't think most of the issues had much to do with when the device was obtained. I got mine on launch day, it has 0 dead pixels and no "oreo" effect. The metal cover (seriously, it's not a mirror) does get scratched from closing, and I finally found a slight discoloration on the screen, but it's very slight (I only noticed because I didn't see it when I saved a screen shot).
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really don't think most of the issues had much to do with when the device was obtained. I got mine on launch day, it has 0 dead pixels and no "oreo" effect. The metal cover (seriously, it's not a mirror) does get scratched from closing, and I finally found a slight discoloration on the screen, but it's very slight (I only noticed because I didn't see it when I saved a screen shot).
    I received my original Pre at launch as well, and it was great. But I do remember this forum being filled with posts regarding issues with the build quality of the device(oreo effect, dead/stuck pixels, etc). Of course it was hard to tell which were legit posts from those created by trolls to start some trouble. Anyways, I don't see many of those posts anymore, well no where near as much, so I'm assuming that maybe Palm did improve on something. The build date on this Pre is 08/15/2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I had two launch pres. Both of them had as solid of a slider as you can get. Both were great on battery. One of them had the phone shutting off when battery slid close problem. I probably should have asked them to give me a new battery first. I wasn't sure if this would help since the MacGyver tape/stuffing cardboard into the battery compartment did not alleviate the problem. The replacement pre with the later build date had the oreo, with a bit of tweaking i got it down to a manageable oreo effect. Point is I'd still have my launch pre if not for the shut down when sliding issue.