Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I need some help, my work will not let me have the login information to hook my pre up for email. Only a select few (issued Blackberry's) can have mobile email. I have access to someone's blackberry but I can't seem to get the correct information to make it work.

Webmail doesnt work because it is SSL 2.0 so I'm screwed there too. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have my email IMAP'ed to our webmail service, since I don't have my vpn setup to use our ordinary groupwise. So if you have webmail try setting it up on that with your ssl settings and account settings.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bribazy View Post
    I need some help, my work will not let me have the login information to hook my pre up for email. Only a select few (issued Blackberry's) can have mobile email. I have access to someone's blackberry but I can't seem to get the correct information to make it work.

Webmail doesnt work because it is SSL 2.0 so I'm screwed there too. Thanks.
    Most likely, they are using BES to allow Blackberry users. This will NOT work with the Pre, even if you get the server information.

Unless your office has POP or IMAP enabled, or they have Novell's mobile option enabled (which I doubt), there's not much you can do. I'm in a Groupwise environment and have heavily researched for months.

The best you can do is setup a rule that will forward your e-mail to Gmail or some other account, where you can retrieve it with the Pre. This won't let you SEND from your work e-mail. You'll need to do all your sending from your external account. Also, some employers seriously frown upon (up to firing people) for forwarding all e-mails like this. Given that your employer won't give you the information and has limited access to a select few Blackberry users, it sounds to me like they don't want you to do what you're trying to do.

In the end, I just use the web client. The Pre's browser does a good job with it, although it all the zooming/panning can be a pain sometimes. There is also a "mobile" version of the web client (called "simple") that also works from the Pre (albeit also will zooming and panning). If your employer doesn't use the web client, then you might be out of luck. Enjoy time away from your desk, where you can't get e-mail!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Thanks, I can't access webmail because of the SSL 2.0 issue and my work is not going to get a certificate anytime soon. (We are in the dark ages of tech). I think Im going to try the forwarding thing, I dont think I will be fired (been here too long job security) Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Thanks, I can't access webmail because of the SSL 2.0 issue and my work is not going to get a certificate anytime soon. (We are in the dark ages of tech). I think Im going to try the forwarding thing, I dont think I will be fired (been here too long job security) Thanks again.
    Also, if you want to send your calendar to your Pre, the best way is to get CompanionLink (if you're allowed to install software and are willing to pay for it). If not, there's a one-way method that involves forwarding posted appointments to a gmail account. But I don't suggest it unless you really need to do this.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I cant even get forwarding to work, I wish I could mess with SSL 2.0 on the pre browser.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I cant even get forwarding to work, I wish I could mess with SSL 2.0 on the pre browser.
    Not sure which Groupwise client you have, but here's how it works in 6.5:

Tools
    Rules
    New...

Rule Name: Forward all my e-mails
    When Event Is: New Item
    And Items Are: Received
    If Conditions Are: Mail (you can also add additional filters)
    Then Actions Are: Forward... (and fill to "To" for your local e-mail)

Yes, the message will appear to come from you (at Groupwise). But you can see within the forwarded message the original sender.

Does this not work for you?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Yeah I set up the rule and ran it. I get an email in Groupwise saying the address is undeliverable. I tried another email address and I got the same result.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Yeah I set up the rule and ran it. I get an email in Groupwise saying the address is undeliverable. I tried another email address and I got the same result.
    Can you post the message you received, blocking out anything secret (like your e-mail address and the names of servers)? I want to see what kind of rejection message this is.

I assume that you can manually forward messages to this same e-mail address, yes? Does that work?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    This is all I get back and yes regular forwarding works

Subject: Item to LAW-NET.LAWNETIA was undeliverable, subject: Fwd: testing

Rule generated message not
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Unless you get your IT Guy to open port 143 and port 25 (but have them open 25 on like, 2525 or something if you use a spam filter) and use it IMAP.

The GW Mobile option does not support the Pre -- their new new version which is not out yet (maybe this year, maybe beginning of next) is supposed to support Microsoft ActiveSync...

Your other option is NotifyLink -- it's about $300 a year or so, and your IT guy / consulting company will have to open ports at least so that the NL servers can talk to the GW servers.

I say the other option is NotifyLink, as it works with the cryPhone..
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Trying to figure out what the hell you're talking about when you say "SSL 2.0"

If they've set up webmail and set it up so the server will do https:// connections ,your pre can do that just fine - it's just like any other secure website.

If they're only allowing BES users to get to it internally via the BES server, then yeah you are screwed.
    It should be noted that Novell has said that the advanced EAS security features are going to work with the new sync engine. It's also currently beta testing, so I'm expecting they will actually have it out this year.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    ssrjazz- When I try and access webmail from my home computer (using IE 8 or any of the newer bowsers) it will be a blank screen. I had to go into the internet options and check the box for using SSL 2.0 to view the page. My work does not have a current certificate and will not work with SSL 3.0 (the secured socket layer protocol). Most websites have a security certificate that is current. Mine does not.
    Have you tried POP or IMAP?
    Quote Originally Posted by itsyvonne View Post
    Have you tried POP or IMAP?
    GroupWise uses a piece called GWIA (GroupWise Internet Access). GWIA allows SMTP traffic in and out, but has to be configured to allow POP3 or IMAP. Many sites choose to not enable either, because they don't want (sometimes) email leaving the corporate campus, or (more frequently) the contact lists. A lot of sites will enable WebAccess but disable IMAP or POP3.

I suspect that if they're picky about using the BES, they're not allowing POP3 or IMAP. BES is a somewhat expensive add-on for GroupWise (unless you're under 5 users, in which case it's free). I suspect that a place that has BES, but not the free GroupWise Mobile Server wouldn't open up the POP3 or IMAP ports.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    That stinks you can't use your Pre. GW blows, we just got rid of it for email, got exchange now. And we are in the process of getting rid of using it for docs too. GW is one of the worst email and doc systems I have ever used.

If your company is too cheap to invest in exchange, try suggesting to them to use Gmail for your domain. It's cheap. I think $50 a year per user.
    Quote Originally Posted by ookees View Post
    That stinks you can't use your Pre. GW blows, we just got rid of it for email, got exchange now. And we are in the process of getting rid of using it for docs too. GW is one of the worst email and doc systems I have ever used.

If your company is too cheap to invest in exchange, try suggesting to them to use Gmail for your domain. It's cheap. I think $50 a year per user.
    Sigh... Folks that post without really understanding what they are posting about.
    GroupWise vs Exchange really has little to do with up front price, but more to do with stability, licensing, and the back end OS. There are some organizations that just don't want to put everything on Windows.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It should be noted that Novell has said that the advanced EAS security features are going to work with the new sync engine. It's also currently beta testing, so I'm expecting they will actually have it out this year.
    _WHERE_ have you seen them say this? We've seen where they have said that they are 'working on a solution' not that it's EAS specific tho. They've also been really coy about saying -when- they might release it too.

We've been hoping it's that they have licensed EAS and are finally going to join everyone else in supporting it, but Novell has been really tight lipped about what specifically they are going to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    _WHERE_ have you seen them say this? We've seen where they have said that they are 'working on a solution' not that it's EAS specific tho. They've also been really coy about saying -when- they might release it too.

We've been hoping it's that they have licensed EAS and are finally going to join everyone else in supporting it, but Novell has been really tight lipped about what specifically they are going to do.
    This is where I first posted on here about it, and that includes a link from back then. I regularly hear from some of the developers, but I don't think any of the information I've heard is "secret" or being held close to their chest.

I'm looking for something that's similar in functionality to their eDirectory identity manager tools, but work to sync GroupWise instead of eDir. However, that's just speculation on my part. The EAS and beta stuff is something they've already talked about. I think it was a week or two ago that they solicited for beta applicants.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast