Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sigh... Folks that post without really understanding what they are posting about.
    GroupWise vs Exchange really has little to do with up front price, but more to do with stability, licensing, and the back end OS. There are some organizations that just don't want to put everything on Windows.
    Right, and the licensing doesn't cost money, or switching the back end OS doesn't cost money. You make no sense. Everything is about money, and as far as stability goes, I don't see anything stable with GW.

I did provide an alternative cheap idea to exchange that wouldn't require changing a back end OS or licensing issues. Too bad more business don't take a shot and switch to Google Apps for your Domain. I wish mine would. In the future everything is gonna run off the web or so called cloud as it is being dubbed.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ookees View Post
    I did provide an alternative cheap idea to exchange that wouldn't require changing a back end OS or licensing issues. Too bad more business don't take a shot and switch to Google Apps for your Domain. I wish mine would. In the future everything is gonna run off the web or so called cloud as it is being dubbed.
    (Getting a little off-topic, but...)

Unfortunately, not every organization is able to agree to Google's terms and conditions. Some organizations, such as government agencies or those that contract with the government, have very strict requirements. This is one reason that not everyone is able to go "cloud."

But that's besides the original point: as employees, most of us have no decision making ability. We cannot lobby our IT departments to switch to Google Apps because we are not in positions to do so. Such is, I think, the case of the OP. He's not in a position to demand that his company give him access to a Pre-compatible solution.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    (Getting a little off-topic, but...)

Unfortunately, not every organization is able to agree to Google's terms and conditions. Some organizations, such as government agencies or those that contract with the government, have very strict requirements. This is one reason that not everyone is able to go "cloud."

But that's besides the original point: as employees, most of us have no decision making ability. We cannot lobby our IT departments to switch to Google Apps because we are not in positions to do so. Such is, I think, the case of the OP. He's not in a position to demand that his company give him access to a Pre-compatible solution.
    Your right, sorry about getting off topic. Just being in IT I have to deal with GW everyday and I would hope more companies would switch off of, seeing as it really does stink.
    Quote Originally Posted by ookees View Post
    Right, and the licensing doesn't cost money, or switching the back end OS doesn't cost money. You make no sense. Everything is about money, and as far as stability goes, I don't see anything stable with GW.

Sorry it doesn't "make sense" to you, and in spite of assertion to the contrary, not everything is "about money".

However, my reference was to your statement "if your company is too cheap to invest". Possibly I should have worded my response better.

I'm sorry if your experience with GW lead you to not "see anything stable with GW". Fortunately, that's not the experience of everyone. I've seen GroupWise systems not have to shut down literally for years. Now that Novell has made the system available on Linux, there is even more stability. The added security of the system over others, and the few viruses that affect the system are also advantages.

And, of course, "it really does stink" is simply a matter of opinion. Most of those that know the system, and know how to properly administer it, have a different opinion. There's a reason that many government adgencies, national and state, continue to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    (
    And, getting back to topic, or at least close to it, I hope that's a good function of forums such as this; giving others ideas on how to make the systems their constrained to use still work with the device they (and we) like.

Armed with the right knowledge, a user such as the OP can approach their IT department and present the possible alternative of a system that can work with what they've got. In this case, the GroupWise connector will likely be free (with an on-going GroupWise license), and will also likely run without the need for additonal hardware.

Unfortunately, it's not available quite yet... probably before the end of the year.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Well, I'm sure we'd be interested if they're actually doing EAS for groupwise. Tell your dev friends to sign the City of Columbia, Mo up for beta!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Well, I'm sure we'd be interested if they're actually doing EAS for groupwise. Tell your dev friends to sign the City of Columbia, Mo up for beta!
    They are definitely using EAS for GroupWise. See the information on the link below:
    Replacement for GroupWise Mobile Server, and more | Novell User Communities

Unfortunately, my information about beta testing was not for the product in general, and did not include the EAS piece. As I said, this is going to be a product that syncronizes different systems very similar to the way Identity Manager syncs different identity platforms. The beta they announced was specificly for organizations that used Sharepoint, SalesForce or SugarCRM.
    This is the link about that announcement:
    Novell "Gradenko" Beta Customers Needed - GroupWise Sync Engine | Novell User Communities

Keep in mind, announcements like this are not always made to a widespread audience. I'd suggest that if you are really interested in beta testing for them, you contact Novell at NOVELL: Beta Program and let them know:
    • That you are specifically requesting to beta test their EAS sync system
    • That you represent a government entity (the city of Columbia, MO)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12