1.    #1  
    I am stating to get impatient waiting for real apps to pop up from Palm. I like listening to Podcast and music, but would like to have more control of my application, fast forward to a different part of the podcast, etc.

The problem is I afraid it will mess up my Pre. Maybe someone will answer some of my questions to temper my fear.

I not worried about loading the apps on to my Pre. I have an old XP laptop that I can install all that I need, so I won't have to worry about using my Windows 7 machine.

My worry is if I don't like the apps, and don't want Homebrew on my Pre, I would have to format the Pre and start over with it. I would lose the original Bookmarks that came with the Pre(which is the most important) and all the bookmarks I have saved, but I could get those back.

Also after installing in DEV mode, should I turn off Dev Mode until I want to install something else?

Is Homebrew really worth it and safe for my Pre?

Don't get me wrong, I really want to try it, I just want to make sure I don't lose everything like the original bookmarks with the nice icons.
    None of your concerns have merit. Go for it.

Best practice is probably to trun dev mode off after install but I dont think it is really a big deal either way.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Once you have filecoaster installed you can turn developer mode off and install off of filecoaster to your heart's content. When you decided homebrew aint' for you just delete the programs and move on with your life. As long as you're not rooting you're fine.
    Got to remember that some of these homebrew apps are waiting for the Palm app catalog to come out of beta. And alot of the homebrew developers are using P/C as a beta testing grounds.
    Unless your phone has some type of hardware failure, you'll be fine.

Homebrew apps shouldn't screw up your phone, modifying system files in WEBOS could potentially screw up your phone if you inadvertently disable/mod vital functions (at which point, you either fix your error or run webos doctor to restore your phone to factory - your original bookmarks/nice icons will be included in this restore just as when you first opened the box)

These homebrew apps are just that... apps. If you don't like them, you can delete them. You can remove file coaster the same way and you wouldn't be able to tell you've had homebrew apps on your phone.

As far as dev mode, once you install file coaster, you can turn it off and download new apps directly from file coaster with dev mode off. If you plan on using WEBOS Quick Install for anything (installing ipk's, sending files back/forth to and from your phone to the computer), then you would need to turn on dev mode.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I think if you DIDN"T get home brew you would be sorry. Nothing in homebrew will hurt your pre. That concern only comes in to play if you root your pre, which is not needed for homebrew apps. Good luck, if you need any help or have more questions, post back, alot willing people in here!!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks,

You all convinced me. I probably try installing tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Thanks,

You all convinced me. I probably try installing tonight.
    I would be willing to help you out if you would like. Just PM with any questions or just instant message me.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I to was just like you, and when I read the post on step by step how to install file coaster, I am now an official homebrewer. And to give you a heads up, I just use the filecoaster route which take/took no rooting which I would never do (the word alone scares me and sounds like voodoo) but once you get filecoaster its truly like having an official app catalog! Only downside which isnt even a downside is that you have to check the apps you have downloaded already since these dev. fix bugs and update with improvements like daily.. so im always checking filecoaster and am now addicted, but no need to delete the old files just re download and it updates the old to the new!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    You can revert by reformatting your pre. A majority of "critical" information is stored on palm's servers (like your contacts setup, mail setup, install official apps): How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    if you dont install homebrew your stuck with the 30 apps available from palm. i installed it a few nights ago, and i am officially in love with my pre, if you are using vista though it gets a little tricky and you wont be able to connect your device, if your having any trouble pm me and i will help you through it.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marioxscene View Post
    if you dont install homebrew your stuck with the 30 apps available from palm. i installed it a few nights ago, and i am officially in love with my pre, if you are using vista though it gets a little tricky and you wont be able to connect your device, if your having any trouble pm me and i will help you through it.
    What do you mean it gets tricky with Vista, it's just as easy with vista as everything else!
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    What do you mean it gets tricky with Vista, it's just as easy with vista as everything else!
    I pulled it off on Windows 7 x64 as well. What is tricky is not Vista or 7 but the 64bit variants which require you to modify the Palm Mojo SDK installer to leave out one part of the install. Without doing this the install fails on that part and rolls back everything it installed. You can find the instructions for this online through google. I forgot where I found it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    I pulled it off on Windows 7 x64 as well. What is tricky is not Vista or 7 but the 64bit variants which require you to modify the Palm Mojo SDK installer to leave out one part of the install. Without doing this the install fails on that part and rolls back everything it installed. You can find the instructions for this online through google. I forgot where I found it.
    I did have Vista 64 installed and just installed Windows 7 64 instead. That is why I am going to use an older laptop which has XP Pro on it. I can always reload the laptop if any problems. I don't really want to install on my regular computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I did have Vista 64 installed and just installed Windows 7 64 instead. That is why I am going to use an older laptop which has XP Pro on it. I can always reload the laptop if any problems. I don't really want to install on my regular computer.
    The windows is actually very simple. The reason it fails is because of a windows upgrade file that is trying to apply to the SDK. Has nothing to do with the SDK itself.
    I should have probably posted this question here, since everyone seems so sure that homebrew can't mess your phone up

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...amera-app.html

Didn't see it though.
    I just got into Homebrew this week. I guess I thought it would take a lot of time or be over my head. I was probably also worried that the Homebrew (I kind of read it "moonshine") apps wouldn't be polished.

I was wrong on all counts. I now use WebOSQuickinstall, and have Filecoaster, Prepod, MyTether, PrePackage, Stopwatch/Timer, and Brigtness Unlinked on my Pre.

Did you know that WebOSQuickinstall has a "Tweaks" menu option under Tools that allows you to EASILY change your dialer background (mine is oh so cool charcoal black now), add/delete launcher pages, and add a stylish analog clock theme (it really is), among others?

I have just scratched the surface of the Homebrew apps, but I wanted to chime in as I am only a bit ahead of you in taking the plunge. I have a Mac and everything (after searching and following the instructions) worked almost seamlessly.

The new dialer alone makes it seem like launch day all over again (and no waiting in line).
    Last edited by galavanter; 08/25/2009 at 09:17 PM.